Home
Posted By: TimberRunner Retay SA quick review. - 08/29/21
Buddy bought a retay (Turkish) 12 GA. Claim to fame is that it is a benelli clone for under $1000.

We assembled it in parking lot. Cosmoline still in it. Fit and finish seems good for a Turkish gun.

He cycled 100 1 oz loads though it without a single misfunction.

I shot it on a few stations. I needed a different shim (not anything faulty with gun). It is barrel heavy compared to benelli/other SA. That was really my only complaint.

Of course longevity is unknown.

Decent option. For me, if I was considering it, I think I'd save up a few more dollars and get one of the B gun SA.
I had one. Decided I preferred a Montefeltro, which can be had for about the same price. A 20 Monte is one of my favorite shotguns of all time. One of the youtube characters on shotgun world will attack anyone that says anything bad about Retays. I would go Benelli in that there is really no price difference, and I think Benelli makes a little nicer shotgun.
Posted By: LFC Re: Retay SA quick review. - 08/31/21
Never gave any of the Turkish shotguns a second thought.

I could never buy a gun name of Retay...

Who do they think they are selling to.
Originally Posted by LFC
Never gave any of the Turkish shotguns a second thought.

I could never buy a gun name of Retay...

Who do they think they are selling to.

LGS says they are selling more of them than all other SA combined.
Posted By: LFC Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/01/21
Who is LGS ?
Posted By: TraderVic Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/01/21
I believe LGS is "local gun shop"
Posted By: MOGC Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/01/21
A Benelli knockoff named "Retay" for nearly the price of an actual Benelli? Hard pass.
Originally Posted by MOGC
A Benelli knockoff named "Retay" for nearly the price of an actual Benelli? Hard pass.

That is what I think as well especially if you plan on flipping it in the future.
Posted By: battue Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/02/21
The Turks may eventually make good to great shotguns. Eventually has yet to arrive…. and with the potential for civil unrest in their world….it my be a long wait.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by MOGC

That is what I think as well especially if you plan on flipping it in the future.

I think I paid around $1,000 for mine. Didn't care for several features and put it up for sale at the local gunshop. It sat for about a year with a $700 asking price. I was finally offered $500, which I took.
Fit and finish seemed better than expected. I've got a safe of benellis and berettas. If I needed another, this wouldn't be it, but if one is going on a few duck hunts a year, maybe a dove hunt or a pheasant hunt once every few years, seems like a serviceable option. The barrel heaviness was the biggest problem.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/04/21
I had a Retay Gordion Turkey model, I had no complaints, it was nice and slim and lighter than My Montefeltro, the Retay cycled every time and shot straight (unlike some other shotguns I have owned including a few Benellis)..I sold it to a buddy that loves it cause I got too many shotguns but for the $779.00 I paid for the Gordion Turkey model it was a lot of shotgun for the money IMO....Hb
779 wouldn’t be bad. Mine was not terrible but a disappointment. All the articles said how great the wood is and raves about the fit and finish. Mine came in and was really plain and in my opinion a step below a Benelli in most regards. I feel like $600-700 would be a good price new for the one I had, which was the wood stock model..

I also have a Turkish Mossberg SA28 on the other hand that I like. It’s not a Beretta in quality much like the Retay is not a Benelli but I paid less than $500 for the SA28 so never expected it to be.
Posted By: pullit Re: Retay SA quick review. - 09/27/21
I just laid hands on one at the local gun store. The ones they have had good fit and finish. I am thinking about another 20 ga SA and had it down to a Beretta or Benelli. The local store was singing Retay praise but I was not sure. After reading this, I think I will stick to the Berettas and Benelli's.
© 24hourcampfire