Home
Posted By: ChanceD Waterfowl Autoloader advice - 09/12/21
Looking to buy a new shotgun for ducks and geese. I normally use beretta's but none newer than the A390's and A391's. What would ya'll suggest, price is a factor but not a huge one, Under $2000.00. You may want to know that most of the waterfowl hunting I do is in the saltwater. Thanks in advance!
Extrema or a Browning Maxus
Posted By: erich Re: Waterfowl Autoloader advice - 09/12/21
If your 390/91 will handle steel or alternate non-tox they would work fine, you know them.
Posted By: Soup Re: Waterfowl Autoloader advice - 09/13/21
Remington model 1100-30" vent rib barrel full choke
Browning A5 same configuration ,
Never had a hiccup with either and my partner and I hunted ducks 2/3 mornings a week for many years .
Soup
Pretty hard to improve on a Beretta 390 as a dedicated waterfowl gun, IMHO. Mine has been through it all....ice, mud, water, extreme cold etc., and it has never failed. I have a set of Patternmaster choke tubes with it that have also served me well. Within our group, there are Brownings, Remingtons. Benellis, Franchis, Winchesters and Mossbergs. None have been any better, and some not as good as my old 390.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Waterfowl Autoloader advice - 09/14/21
My wife bought me an A300 synthetic stock a few years ago to save my 391 from the mud. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger for $600.
Thank you for all the replies the main thing I’m looking for is one that has some type of coating or dip to help with the harsh environment. My other berettas are wood and blued, I’d like to have something that I’m not worried about getting banged around.
Originally Posted by ChanceD
Thank you for all the replies the main thing I’m looking for is one that has some type of coating or dip to help with the harsh environment. My other berettas are wood and blued, I’d like to have something that I’m not worried about getting banged around.

There's a nice Browning Maxus II in the classifieds cool
Consider looking for one of the Walmart Beretta 390s, that came in all black. You can leave it as is (black/black), or have it camo dipped. I have kept mine as is (black), and have had no issues. You would likely want to have one dipped due to hunting around salt water. That would make an ideal waterfowl gun.
THE a 400 EXTREMES are dynamite guns, they just dont fit me. my old stand by is a Benelli SBE2, and I really really like the way my A5 points and shoulders
Lotsa great choices. Go to a quality shop, shoulder every one you can and leave with a good gun. Most of the modern offerings are really solid.

In your price range I'd look at any of the B guns.
Let us know what you end up with.
Benelli has some new models with a special coating they advertise is just for what you're talkin about salt water conditions
Posted By: pullit Re: Waterfowl Autoloader advice - 09/27/21
I have an Extrema and love it, but for saltwater and the fact that most waterfowl guns take a beating, I think I would get a Beretta A300 and have it dipped or coated and call it a day.
I know everyone is different but I never shot a Benelli 12 all that well, I could shoot my 20 just fine. Don't know what the difference was but that is what it is.
© 24hourcampfire