Posted By: LFC Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
That the bottom eject pump ?
Posted By: bluestem Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by LFC
That the bottom eject pump ?

No, side eject. Preceded the Rem 870.

Have a chance to get one in 12 gauge.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
I’ve got one from the 30’s, still a good solid, quality shotgun made when craftsmanship still mattered.
Posted By: erich Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
My FinL had a trap gun that was so smooth it was like it had ballbearings in it and when he shot trap doubles you could hardly see the him move between shots.

He had one in skeet configuration that was his hunting gun, ducks, grouse, pheasants. I've seen him jump shooting ducks and drop three drake mallards damn near before I could get my gun to my shoulder.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
I have my dad's old 12ga 31 FW with a Cutts, like many guns from that era had. He used the heck out of it and opted for a 20ga Browning Superposed in 1958.

I dig out the old 31 every year for at least one hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Remington 31 - 10/05/21
“The Ball Bearing Shotgun” Every steel framed 31 I’ve handled has lived up to it’s moniker and been smooth as glass. The aluminum receiver LW not generally as smooth. Cool old guns though, I had one I’d threaded for tubes and parkerized that I used for a duck gun for a few years and I kind of wish I hadn’t let it go.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Remington 31 - 10/07/21
I have one in 20 gauge. Fantastic gun. Don't hesitate.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Remington 31 - 10/07/21
I have a pair of them. One in 20 and one in 16. A 20 ga model 31 was my first real gun, that I stupidly sold off for something else. Fixed the problem and don’t plan on letting either of the new ones go. Great shotguns you won’t be sorry
Posted By: 222Sako Re: Remington 31 - 10/08/21
Had one many moons ago. Very smooth action; pointed a lot like an 870. I' wouldn't hesitate to buy one at the right price.
Found an aluminum receiver 31, but it had a bubba recoil pad and had many miles on it for $450.....pass.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Remington 31 - 10/08/21
Had a 4 digit TC Trap grade version which my brother now owns. Smoothest action I've ever shot. I'm sure I could cycle that faster than my 1100 did. Way faster than my Model 12.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Remington 31 - 10/08/21
As a side note High Standard produced basically the same action in the 60's in their pumps.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Remington 31 - 10/08/21
Still looking for one. I've had my chances but I want a 12 with a 30" full choke solid ribbed barrel. On the left side of the receiver it needs to say " Long Range ". Mb
Posted By: longarm Re: Remington 31 - 10/08/21
I have a 16 with a 30" FULL choked barrel. Great gun
Posted By: RufusG Re: Remington 31 - 10/12/21
See if you can cycle some shells or dummies through it to check function. About the only thing that goes south on a model 31 is carrier wear from long use. Best pumpgun design ever IMO. Not most economical or adaptable, as those characteristics weren't so important back then..
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: Remington 31 - 10/14/21
Many, including me, consider the Remington 31 the finest walnut and steel pump shotgun ever made.

For year I scoured the Internet and gun shows for a 12 gauge Remington 31 factory riot configuration and the finish in original condition. Finaly found one for a very modest price because half the finish on the butt stock and flaked away and the remaining finish was in dreadful shape. I sanded and refinished the wood, leaving the metal as original.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is one of my favorite guns of any type
Posted By: Warmwurld Re: Remington 31 - 11/04/21
i have one in 12 gauge. Great gun!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Remington 31 - 11/12/21
Remington 31 is one of the smoothest pump shotguns ever made; much smoother than a Winchester model 12. The High Standard Flite King was a copy of the Remington 31, as is the Mossberg 500 series. The Mossberg is anything but smooth though, they lost that when they changed the design to one that locks into the barrel hood.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Remington 31 - 11/16/21
My son has one each in 12, 16, and 20. Slick and reliable...
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Remington 31 - 11/16/21
A 31 was the first shotgun I ever bought and that's been a long time ago now! I got it used from a friend of my dad's, 12ga, poly-choke, smooth as silk... hunted it a lot. Eventually, something else bright and shiney caught my eye and away it went. I remember it fondly, if the price is right for you get it! A Remington 31 is a lot of good gun!
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Remington 31 - 11/21/21
I have a 31L in 16 ga. Fantastic little gun smooth as it can be, was my grandfathers.
© 24hourcampfire