Home
I like shooting Estate---tan & yellow box. I use to get them for $5.99 a box a few years ago---Walmart now has them for $10.80. Hate to see what AA's or Nitros are. The Estates are about 1 step up from Federal's Top Gun---IMO. Combine that with I'm sure the price increase coming for targets. I can see trap shooters getting fewer & fewer. I've got about 20 flats on hand so I'm good for at least the season. I picked up a case of Top Gun at Cabela's for $84.99 a few weeks ago. I try & buy when I can find them. I left the Estates at Walmart. Bob
Estates are loaded by Federal if I'm not mistaken.
Yes they are made by Federal. Good shells but not equal to Gold Medal.
Keep in mind, shoot is less expensive than other endeavors such as golf and boating. Have you seen the cost of an average pleasure boat lately!!!!!????? shocked
If you supplied up on reloading components a few years ago, a box of 12 ga target loads is $4-5.
Originally Posted by dale06
If you supplied up on reloading components a few years ago, a box of 12 ga target loads is $4-5.

Two years ago Reeds had a sale on Federal Gold Medals. $42 a case. I bought two pallets full (100 cases). You can't reload with quality components for anywhere near that price. People never add in their time when figuring the cost of reloading ether. Time is money.
Stock up when they are cheap.
Estate and Top Gun are the same thing and plenty good for trap unless you're a Olympic class shooter.
I think they suck for sporting clays
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by dale06

Two years ago Reeds had a sale on Federal Gold Medals. $42 a case. I bought two pallets full (100 cases). You can't reload with quality components for anywhere near that price. People never add in their time when figuring the cost of reloading ether. Time is money.
.........unless yer retired.. About 15+ years ago I bought (literally) a ton of 7.5 shot.. $10.65/bag.. Still have 2-3K primers and 3k+ hulls and wads... I can reload a box for under $3....and I have all the time in the world.. smile
If Grandpa had taken his covered wagon to the part of Texas with the oil under it instead of the part with the wheat growing on it, I wouldn't have to care what ammo costs.
Originally Posted by Hogeye
If Grandpa had taken his covered wagon to the part of Texas with the oil under it instead of the part with the wheat growing on it, I wouldn't have to care what ammo costs.
laugh laugh Good point!
Inflation: It's not just for shotshells...
It was a hundred buck a case at Academy for dove loads the other day.
Originally Posted by hanco
It was a hundred buck a case at Academy for dove loads the other day.

Damn. I can remember when $40 bucks would get you a case of good hunting loads. And not that long ago.
I remember when Cokes were a dime. I'd stop at the post office a block from Central High, tired and thirsty from playing ball, and get one from the machine in a 6-oz glass bottle. Then I'd pop into the sporting goods store on the way home to spend 50 cents for a box of .22 shorts to harass the rodents and sparrows on the weekend with my $9.50 rifle. And a new Sting Ray cost $4,500, about what the average man earned in a year.

Estate and Top Gun are the same thing and plenty good for trap unless you're a Olympic class shooter.

Why?

If they will break edge on going away trap targets at distance...they shouldn't have any problem with 35 yard and under sporting clay targets....The distance the majority of sporting clay targets are.
Originally Posted by battue

Why?

If they will break edge on going away trap targets at distance...they shouldn't have any problem with 35 yard and under sporting clay targets....The distance the majority of sporting clay targets are.

Yes sir I have broke many sporting clays targets with both.
© 24hourcampfire