Home
Posted By: battue New 28Gauge...first day - 12/29/21
Bud and I went and hunted Pa GL Pheasants...The new 28 came thru....really it was a couple easy shots for me on Merlot flushes. Buds pointer had a couple solid points...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: Teal Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/29/21
Great pics!

My eyes suck - what's the shotgun?

I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start taking advantage of the good MI upland bird hunting and GEMS program they have. Basically I'd like a shotgun for grouse, woodcock, pheasant and bunnies and an older SxS has my interest but I know nothing about them. LC Smith vs Fox vs Parker etc. Learning and reading.

Was thinking 16 ga just to be different. Used to shoot 28 tho in clays for sub-gauge events and they are sweet for sure.
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/29/21
Parker Reproduction 28 Gauge...Bud was using his Renato Gamba 20 Gauge.

Hard to beat a 16..
Posted By: papalondog Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/29/21
Awesome! Neat hunt for sure.
Posted By: pullit Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/30/21
very nice pictures, and gun
Posted By: kenacp Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/30/21
Nice, show us some more pictures of the 28.
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/30/21
The shotgun has a little fiddle back, but nothing to get excited about...Actually the lighting did it a big favor.

Also, for myself mounting the straight stock well is going to take some practice...

Bud's gun is a Renato Gamba 20 Gauge...A sleeper that is really well made.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 12/30/21
Awesome shotgun and nice pictures! Those 28 ga repros don't come cheap these days. Beautiful gun.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/04/22
Nothing like a 28!
I have a Parker 28 repro also, mine has a pistol grip.
I love a straight grip and always wanted to shoot one like yours.
They are a joy to carry. Enjoy!
Ed
Very nice. Glad they are still doing some pheasants..
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/04/22
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Nothing like a 28!
Ed

Thanks....

However, not sure just yet if I am a fan of the straight grip. I can see how it works when standing and mounting on a high overhead driven Bird...A quick mount on a ground flush, I'm going to have to get some practice in.
Glad you were able to break in your new Parker and able to down some pheasants so late in the season.
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/06/22
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Glad you were able to break in your new Parker and able to down some pheasants so late in the season.

Thanks..And we tried one more time today. Spent 4 plus miles walking thru fields like this and didn't put a single Bird up..And only heard two shots in the distance.
The Hig, the new Black Cocker pup, got his first day hunting on his own and gave a good effort...Will take him to a preserve later on in the year.

Good looking 28ga, I have and use a model 12 and a browning copy of the model 12
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/07/22
I'm a big fan of 16 Gauge Model 12's
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/13/22
Originally Posted by battue
Nothing like a 28!
Ed

Thanks....

However, not sure just yet if I am a fan of the straight grip. I can see how it works when standing and mounting on a high overhead driven Bird...A quick mount on a ground flush, I'm going to have to get some practice in.

Looks like we should walk for birds together sometime, and switch guns for a few passes!
Enjoy and good shooting,
Ed
I'm a big fan of 16 Gauge Model 12's

Me too. In fact Im going to be shooting a 1959 m12 16 ga this weekend chasing quail
Posted By: jc189 Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/14/22
Very nice gun you have there, and a couple of good looking dogs too.
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/14/22
Thanks, it really does handle well. Going to shoot sporting clays tomorrow, so will mess with it a little after shooting the 12.

English Cockers, the black one just turned 6 months and just recently decided outside was his bathroom. Yea!!!!
Posted By: Pugs Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/14/22
Nothing like a 28!
Ed

Mine does too and I wish it were a straight grip but at the prices of the repros today I'll make do! (and it's a death ray, shocking how well I hit with it)
Posted By: battue Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/14/22
A nice visit is the Parker Gun Collectors Association Forum...Go to the Reproduction forum and look for the "Lets see some wood" post...

Killer examples...

There are some very nice examples there but Photo bucket really ruins photos it once hosted.
Nice gun and dogs. Good on ya.
Posted By: Basco Re: New 28Gauge...first day - 01/20/22
Shooting planted ditch chickens with my 28 and my Brit pointing them ‘just feels right’! As I ve gotten older I enjoy watching the dog work more than harvesting the bird!
Originally Posted by Teal
Great pics!

My eyes suck - what's the shotgun?

I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start taking advantage of the good MI upland bird hunting and GEMS program they have. Basically I'd like a shotgun for grouse, woodcock, pheasant and bunnies and an older SxS has my interest but I know nothing about them. LC Smith vs Fox vs Parker etc. Learning and reading.

Was thinking 16 ga just to be different. Used to shoot 28 tho in clays for sub-gauge events and they are sweet for sure.

I am not too sure how deeply you have researched these fine old guns but having bought my absolute dream gun, an LC Smith Field grade Featherweight 16 gauge, this fall following roughly 4 years of internet research and hawking online auctions, hopefully I can provide some helpful insight.

The older guns (pre 1940) and even post in some cases, will typically have shorter chambers (2-5/8" 2-9/16" compared to modern 2-3/4"). This poses an issue because shooting modern 2-3/4" shells through these guns may spike pressures. I have shot light loaded 2-3/4 in a 2-5/8 model 1897 with no ill effect but obviously this is not advisable. Something to consider with these old girls.

When looking at old LCs, a lot of the times the stock will be externally cracked and repaired around the wrist from many years of shooting and poor maintenance. Guns may even be cracked below the side plates which can cause issues down the road because you think you've bought a fine piece only to have the stock crack all the way through after a season or two. There are ways to reinforce the lock area of the stock with agraglass kits and staples but IMHO I would reserve this for nicely patinaed shooters. Luckily, when I bought mine, the gunsmith onsite was able to take off the side plates and we inspected the stock together. Cleanest wood either of us had seen, so I pulled the trigger.

Older guns have a tendency for the rib to come loose. This is easily checked by hanging the barrels off your index finger by the hook and flicking the tubes from the chamber to the muzzle. A nice ring should be heard throughout.

Some of the older 16 gauge Foxes, I believe, were built on 20 gauge actions which make them quite light. I do not know much about parkers, although it seems they are quite a bit more expensive than the LC Smiths. I really like the elegance of the side plates so that's why I prefer the LC.

These old guns get addicting! I'm already keeping my eyes peeled for more. Hope this little bit of info helps you in your search.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Thanks..And we tried one more time today. Spent 4 plus miles walking thru fields like this and didn't put a single Bird up..And only heard two shots in the distance.
The Hig, the new Black Cocker pup, got his first day hunting on his own and gave a good effort...Will take him to a preserve later on in the year.

Good picture of the boys. Higgy is growing up. Congrats on the beautiful new new shotgun!
© 24hourcampfire