Home
OK so I’ve been looking at Franchi SLX , now I handled I believe the SL model with case hardened receiver nice handling the only thing I did notice was when I touch the lever it opens much easier than I thought it should have.
I’ve now also handled a Beretta 686, a little bit heavier and now someone showed me a Mossberg gold reserve not the silver but the gold. Felt decent I had been looking at the CZ’s before but it seems they are in short supply these days. Does anyone make a 20 gauge/28 gauge set? Open to other suggestions and brands as well. Looking for something that handles well and there’s not a throwaway gun that will be around for some time to come. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Oh, I would like to keep it around 2K or less
If both barrels were already cocked on the Franchi they would just fall open just like almost any other o/u. What do you fear about an easier opening o/u, I would call it a plus.

In most cases a o/u with both 20 and 28 barrels will be made on the 20ga. frame so when you put the 28ga barrels on you are basically still shooting a 20ga with expensive shells.

In o/u you can never go wrong with manufactures that start with a "B" Browning/Berretta

I wouldn't overlook a lightly used name brand(higher end o/u)

If you aren't a high volume shooter the Mossberg might work but I wouldn't count on being able to get parts 10yrs down the line, then again you might get luckky.
Example of one, but my CZ Readhead Deluxe All Weather 20 had an 8” POI spread at 40 yards, unacceptable to me. Sent it back to address that, and an action that was waaaayyyy too tight, even for a new gun. They fixed the action , but blew me off on the pattern issue. A guy I shoot with had a similar issue with one. Lot of gun for the money, but the the QC seems lacking.

Most people never pattern their shotguns, but I bought that one for turkeys, and quickly found the problem.
I would look hard for a Beretta Blackwing 20. Mine weighs 5 pounds 15 ounces and feels like a wand. It is choke tubed. Another good option on the used market are the Beretta BLs. They made them in models 1-4 as they made improvements and changes. They’ll be fixed chokes but get an IC/M and go kill stuff. And I dare you to wear one out.

And if you absolutely have to have choke tubes you can have Briley tube a Beretta BL and still be in it less than your budget price.
Browning Superposed are the cat's ass... I've got a fair amount and it's about all I shoot. That said, if you can find a SKB 605 or 505, or a Weatherby, they are my second choices all day long.

If you get a Browning, you can shoot the wheels off of it and it will be worth more than what you paid for it...
Thank you for all the input so far. When I mentioned that the action basically fell open it did not take much movement before it did, that’s what made me nervous. Thank you for the heads up on the CZ , i’ll have to look up the Beretta black wing, the one I handled felt hefty for a 20
The Blackwing has no rib between the barrels. It is essentially a 686 but a little lighter but still on a steel receiver. Mine actually weighs 4 ounces less than my baby frame SP1 in 28 gauge.
Either a Beretta or Browning. Anything lesser and you're asking for trouble. A 20 gauge Superposed would be nice.
Rick
A friend swears by the Ruger O/U, especially in 20ga. He has quite a collection an shoots a 12ga all weather for waterfowl. Fit and feel are important in a shotgun. If it doesn't fit you, don't buy it unless you are going to have it custom fitted to you. Depends on what you are going to do with it? Hunting, competition?
Beretta, Browning or SKB/Weatherby Orion would all serve you well. Personally I would rather have a well cared for used B-gun than a NIB lesser gun like that Mossberg you mentioned.
Not a Ruger red label fan ,also heard Ruger isn’t supporting repair of the same
I have two Red Labels, one in 20ga and one in 12ga. Both have been very dependable and have accounted for a lot of pheasants. Both have 26"bbls. The 20ga is like a wand for me....lightweight , great balance and handling. It is my favorite shotgun in the safe.

The 12ga is a tad heavy, but I still like it and carry it when I think the flushes may be further out. My hunting partner uses a 20ga Citori and it is actually heavier than my 20ga which surprised us both.
For 2K you should have no trouble finding either a nice Browning Citori or a Beretta. That’s what I paid in June for a like-new 725 Field, albeit a 12.
Got a brand new CXS in 20 ga this year for 1800.

Handy as it should be, typicaly Browning quality (excellent). Beretta O/U's never fit me all that excellent - compared to a Browning.
Beretta or benelli
I would recommend Beretta, and Beretta also makes 20/28 gauge sets.
Someone mentioned a Beretta Blackwing as a lightweight alternative. There is also a Whitewing that is basically the same gun with different cosmetics.
Originally Posted by dian
Someone mentioned a Beretta Blackwing as a lightweight alternative. There is also a Whitewing that is basically the same gun with different cosmetics.

And both have been discontinued for quite awhile I think.
I picked up a Citori Superlight in 20Aa earlier this year at a great price. Older model without choke tubes. I really like it. The Schnabel forearm and straight stock are what I was looking for.
Actually don't have to spend that much to have a nice O/U.

Check out the listing on GB and other's for a Charles Daly made by Miroku........Superposed quality/looks for decent coinage.
I’ve been threatening to get a 28ga for a while. Pump or o/u.

Fondled a Beretta 686 SP1 in 28ga today. Nice gun. Another I wanted to look at is the Rizzini br110.
They are about the same price, $2k give or take.
The only Rizzini they had in stock was in 12ga though. It was a nice looking gun as well. Better wood and nice bluing.
Digging through boxes today I came across seven 20 gauge Invector Plus choke tubes.
Now I need to either buy a Browning or sell the tubes before I do!
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Actually don't have to spend that much to have a nice O/U.

Check out the listing on GB and other's for a Charles Daly made by Miroku........Superposed quality/looks for decent coinage.

If you can find a Miroku Charles Daly, it would do nicely. They are commanding quite a high price in anything but 12 gauge. I would place them on par with a Superposed. A look inside is revealing - leaf springs that give very nice trigger pulls, as well as fit and finish that is superb. The only downside is scarcity of both guns and parts for these late-60s and early-70s guns.

To the two mentioned above, I would definitely prefer the Beretta. It’s action is both shallow and extremely strong, not needing under bolts.
Originally Posted by htredneck
Digging through boxes today I came across seven 20 gauge Invector Plus choke tubes.
Now I need to either buy a Browning or sell the tubes before I do!

grin That tops it for sure, I have heard of having a box of ammo or two and justifying the purchase.
Beretta 686 or Browning. You can hand them down for generations.
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Not a Ruger red label fan ,also heard Ruger isn’t supporting repair of the same

Run from them would be my advice.
Thank you on the run from Ruger red label they were not in my running. I like what I’m reading about the Beretta’s and the Brownings but they are heavier guns ,at least the ones I handled.the Franchi SLX Was super light I suppose I may have to handle the browning and Beretta again
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Thank you on the run from Ruger red label they were not in my running. I like what I’m reading about the Beretta’s and the Brownings but they are heavier guns ,at least the ones I handled.the Franchi SLX Was super light I suppose I may have to handle the browning and Beretta again

Look for a used Browning Superlight , they are out there. That was my first nice shotgun when I finally got a good paying job a long time ago. I should never ever have sold it.
Just left a shop after handling 28 and a 20 ga Rizzini br110’s with 28” bbls.

They were sweet. They also had br110 limiteds (I think that’s what they were called), 29” bbls, upgraded wood and some modest scroll engraving

Handling sxs with the Beretta 686, I think I like the Rizzini better. Would be nice to try each on a few rounds of clays. See if one really stood out.

The shop also happened to have an old Charles Daly Miroku 12 ga on the wall. It was a hammered POS. Wood was schit, bad putting on outside of barrels…They were asking near $800😳
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/beretta-vs-rizzini.170367/

Beretta will last several lifetimes. They can be serviced in the US.
Been very happy with my beretta sp1 20ga. Gets worked hard on dove field every year.
I agree with what everyone says about the browning o/u, I love mine. It's a 12ga. I have a Winchester 101 20ga o/u and I enjoy shooting it every bit as much as the Browning. The Winchester 101 is definitely worth checking out.
Originally Posted by dian

I shoot one of these in 20ga. 686 frame and as mentioned, no rib between barrels. Furniture is not impressive and engraving is not pretty but I'm more about function. It's so light it almost feels ridiculous. However, it fits me so well that recoil is not a problem. I recommend the Berettas.
Another option....Not a 20, however it will carry much the same as most of the 20 lightweights. More than your $2K, but the used market will eventually fix that..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/beretta-ultraleggero-featherweight-over-under-shotgun/
Beretta SPIII imported from Beretta by Joel Etchen guns. I have the two barrel set in 20 and 28 with 28 inch barrels interchangable chokes and it is a beauty!
They also have 28 and 410 barrel sets but dont make a 3 barrel set due to difference in the frames on the 20/28 and the 28/410.
Originally Posted by xtriangle
Beretta SPIII imported from Beretta by Joel Etchen guns. I have the two barrel set in 20 and 28 with 28 inch barrels interchangable chokes and it is a beauty!
They also have 28 and 410 barrel sets but dont make a 3 barrel set due to difference in the frames on the 20/28 and the 28/410.

Pretty much anything from Etchen's is done well.
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Originally Posted by xtriangle

Pretty much anything from Etchen's is done well.

+2 on that
PM sent
Good luck,
Ed
In the small circle of geezers I shoot with, maybe a dozen, everyone shoots Brownings or Berettas, except one younger guy that has Guerinis. A number of them have several. Says a lot.
I have a 20ga Browning Citori Lightning with std invectors, a 16ga white lightning with invector plus chokes and a 12 ga lightning with invector plus chokes they all have the round knob pow grip. Safety and barrel selectors are the same. I didn't get to where I'm at with them by accident. They handle like a Superposed with modern steel versatility. Dead reliable and affordable. The Beretta are nice if you like a low flat rib and they have a stiff action for a loooong time....mb
I have a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade, Browning Cynergy, and Ruger Red Label. I had a Cesar Guerini Magnus grade as well. While all are nice, if I were buying today, I would buy a Beretta or a Browning and call it a day. Truth be told, I really want a Beretta 20/28 ga two barrel combo with 30 inch barrels.
Hey pullit , how much trouble you had with your red label?..mb
The saying fits here. Buy once and cry once. You will never regret quality. Plus you will always be able to recoup your money.
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hey pullit , how much trouble you had with your red label?..mb

Never had an issue (knock wood) but I have not shot it a lot in the last 20 years or so, it has become a "safe queen" as the Cynergy is my work horse for clays and doves.
If you look in the "sticky" at the top of this forum, under "Show us your Shotguns", it is my second gun down and my Winchester 101 is the third one down. My K80 12 gauge is my first gun.
You can buy any O/U that you want......as long as it starts with "Beretta"!

I've shot Beretta's for many years in competition and hunting. I have to admit that I'm better with a stack barrel, and most of my hunting is now done with a 686 White Onyx 12 ga. I do own a Silverhawk 471 in 20 ga that is just as light, beautiful and elegant to handle all day in the field, but I just don't shoot it as well as the stack barrels.

I've been thinking really hard about a Silver Pigeon II in 20 ga with 28" tubes for an all-around gun as I get older...... Other than late season roosters and big Canadians, not much that wouldn't be in trouble from a gun like that!

As my old friend, the late great, Pete Harsh once told me, "a man cannot have enough fine shotguns, and life is too short to hunt with an ugly one!" Pete was right......
If I was going to buy any that I wanted....it would start with Perazzi...
I've tried hard but I've yet to find a Beretta that fits as well as a Browning. Brownings fit me well, last a damned long time and are good value for the money invested.

Good shotgun but the ones most talk about - aren't the same as Battue says from Perazzi, Krieghoff or Kolar.
Friend had a Browning Belgium custom shop…B 25????… for balance it was perfect or dang close. He shot it hard and it never caused a problem.
Originally Posted by battue
If I was going to buy any that I wanted....it would start with Perazzi Krieghoff...
LOL fixed it for ya.
Appreciate the suggestion....however you were a little late... grin

Great photo bomb by Merlot!!!!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Battue
Sorry for the late response as I was traveling. I do see your predicament. I will try and be quicker the next time. LOL
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice!!! k 20’s are soooo sweet!!!!😉
Originally Posted by Esox357
Beretta or benelli

Absolutely!
Originally Posted by mart
I would look hard for a Beretta Blackwing 20. Mine weighs 5 pounds 15 ounces and feels like a wand. It is choke tubed. Another good option on the used market are the Beretta BLs. They made them in models 1-4 as they made improvements and changes. They’ll be fixed chokes but get an IC/M and go kill stuff. And I dare you to wear one out.

And if you absolutely have to have choke tubes you can have Briley tube a Beretta BL and still be in it less than your budget price.

I'd seriously consider donating a testicle to get my hands on a 28", 20g Blackwing . . . . .
© 24hourcampfire