Home
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Superposed locking bolts - 12/03/22
I've got a 1952-vintage Belgian trap 12 Superposed. Got it cheap, belonged to a classmate's late Dad, used hard but not abused. Cruddy inside but no rust, not collector grade at all. Checkering is just a suggestion now. After some stockwork and fitting, wow, what a sweet swinger and shooter, right?
Anyway, the locking bolt reached the end of life, it would sporadically open after firing the upper barrel. The good news is, I was able to order a new locking bolt from Midwest a few weeks ago, both styles were available, I had mine within 3 days, and there was enough metal that the new bolt is now fitted tight and that poor old Superposed is now frisky and ready for a long second life, maybe not 80 years, but a long time.
It's a pain in the butte to fit, everything has to come out of the receiver, which is actually a good thing because I found some more cruddy crud and a couple of other problems, some from the factory and some from Gosh only who knows got into the gun at some point, wrong.
And fitting is a game of thousandths, serious nitpickery.
Just wanted to let the more adventuresome among you know that Midwest has Superposed locking bolts, and while expensive (120 bucks) and scary to work on given they're easy to mess up, now I've got a Superposed that will last me to the end of my days, and then somebody else's.
© 24hourcampfire