Home
Posted By: RUM7 SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
I have always been an avid upland hunter. I have not cared in the past what I was shooting the birds with. Lately, I find myself really wanting to try a SxS shotgun. Preferably an older gun with some character. I know that there are ones to look for, ones to avoid, ect.

I want to find
Something that I can run modern ammo through, doesn't cost a fortune and can be repaired if needed. I'm not worried about anything fancy. Just a solid working man's gun that handles well and has good fit and finish.
Any suggestions? Maybe around $1000-$1600
As I'm sure you can tell from this post, I'm not well informed on older double guns. Heck, I don't even know if I can shoot one well or will actually like it.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: pullit Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
If you want a solid newer shooter in that range, I would look for an SKB. If I wanted an older one that can still be worked on, an LC Smith would be on my radar. I know there are tons of others that would qualify in both categories, but both of these are solid and can be had in your price range and should not be too hard to find.
Posted By: erich Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
The sxs experience, if your going to do it take the plunge and be sure to find one with TWO triggers, once you learn you'll never understand why anyone would want a single trigger. The single trigger is the most problematic part of a sxs shotgun. Try and stay with a boxlock, sidelocks while elegant remove a lot of wood in the wrist area, heavier modern loads can be hard on old wood. Greener crossbolts make for great lock ups and tend not to shoot loose as easily, Merkel uses crossbolts in their lock up.

As far as modern ammo goes you don't need heavy loads to kill game. An ounce of 5s.and 6s have been more than adequate for wild pheasants and changing to bismuth the same load works well on waterfowl. A well fitted sxs seems to shave yards off the distance you have to shoot flushing birds.

There is nothing like walking out of the marsh with your game strap full and your sxs in hand.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
L.C. Smith - if you can find what you want
Stevens - my grampa shot one for years. Not fancy, but a solid gun.
Browning - haven't seen one in years, have no idea what one would cost. Had a 20 gauge BSS once. Stupidly let it go. 😖
Posted By: ElkHtrNevada Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
I have a nice 16 gauge L.C. Smith I could be talked out of.
Posted By: Backroads Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Find a smith that works on the old ones, they are harder to find than the guns are. Those folks will have some info on what you should look for, probably knows a couple clients that have some to check out.

Your price range is good for American 12 ga field models, most have 2 3/4” chambers after about 1920.

The stocks have more drop and cast than the modern stuff, and the wood is 100 years old. There are lots with small cracks in the wrist, and restocking them decreases the value.

I prefer to buy the restocked ones, modern geometry and new wood is more useful to me as a shooter. Better pricing too!
Good luck buying just one!
Posted By: RUM7 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Thanks guys,
I'll start doing some research on some of those suggestions.
Thinking that I can find something decent and reliable, get my toes wet with it. Then if I'm hooked, I can upgrade and still have something for my 12 yr old son to use in a few years. (He has a 870 pump that has a shortened stock right now, probably only work for 1 more season.) Really looking for a 20 gauge gun. I have about a dozen pumps and auto loaders, but variety is the spice of life right?
Posted By: RUM7 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by erich
The sxs experience, if your going to do it take the plunge and be sure to find one with TWO triggers, once you learn you'll never understand why anyone would want a single trigger. The single trigger is the most problematic part of a sxs shotgun. Try and stay with a boxlock, sidelocks while elegant remove a lot of wood in the wrist area, heavier modern loads can be hard on old wood. Greener crossbolts make for great lock ups and tend not to shoot loose as easily, Merkel uses crossbolts in their lock up.

As far as modern ammo goes you don't need heavy loads to kill game. An ounce of 5s.and 6s have been more than adequate for wild pheasants and changing to bismuth the same load works well on waterfowl. A well fitted sxs seems to shave yards off the distance you have to shoot flushing birds.

There is nothing like walking out of the marsh with your game strap full and your sxs in hand.
This is interesting to me,
I just naturally gravitated towards a single trigger on my initial browsing on GunBroker. I guess because of familiarity?
How long does it take generally to adjust to the 2 triggers? Is the only advantage the ability to chose your choke independently on first shot?
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
<SNIP> Lately, I find myself really wanting to try a SxS shotgun. Preferably an older gun with some character. I know that there are ones to look for, ones to avoid, ect.
I want to find Something that I can run modern ammo through, doesn't cost a fortune and can be repaired if needed. I'm not worried about anything fancy. Just a solid working man's gun that handles well and has good fit and finish. Any suggestions? Maybe around $1000-$1600 <SNIP> Thanks in advance

I get the part about older guns but when you mention using modern ammo, I wonder if you intend to shoot non-tox loads with steel shot? Given the fact that you're in CA, that might be likely?
If so, you might want to look at the 'Bobwhite' doubles being sold in this country by CZ-USA. They appear to be very well made guns, can handle steel shot and they come with a CZ factory warranty. CZ's operations here in this country are setup to offer service and parts, as well. The SxS Bobwhites that I've handled looked nice with very good fit and finish.

Sportsman's Warehouse has two models on sale right now for only $599 which seems like a really good deal. Here are links to those two models:
CZ Bobwhite CC Blued 12 Gauge 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
CZ Bobwhite Case Colored Blued 20ga 3in Side by Side Shotgun - 28in
In looking at the SW website, they are showing the 20ga Bobwhite in stock at their store in Redding, CA. Good luck with your search!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
I don't have one, but am tempted by the F.A.I.R. Iside's. Several versions available, but base model looks like $1700 is the sale price right now for new. Made in Italy by one of the Rizzini offshoots. They get good reviews.

For older, Simson is often referred to as a Merkel in workclothes (or similar type analogy) and can often be bought for way cheaper than the equivalent Merkel. Depending on time of manufacture, often made in the same plant with just different stampings on them.

Double Triggers all the way. A round of skeet shot with it and it will be second nature to you.

You'll pay a premium to get the 20 over a 12 in an other than new gun.
Posted By: Reba Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Number 1, a SXS must fit you.

Number 2, a SXS must fit you.

Yes on double triggers.

Improved and modified.

A straight grip stock will tend to roll and your mount might be inconsistent.

Close your eyes and mount the gun. Open your eye and notice where you are looking. Example on a neutral stock I will be looking down the left barrel; therefore I need a little "cast off".

For twice the money you can get a really nice used SXS. Check out William Larken Moore's website.

Best wishes
Posted By: battue Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Tread lightly, the hole you are looking into is not dug cheaply. 🤣
Posted By: battue Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
And then dry mount it another 1000 times.

(SxS or not)
Posted By: shrapnel Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Bump your budget up a tad and you will get into affordable English guns that can be found on

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

Charlie is a fantastic person and will help guide you to the best gun for you and won't have to settle for a LC Smith or Baker shotgun. There is nothing like a beautiful SXS to cap a day of hunting birds or shooting clays with one...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ken_L Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
For me I do not like double triggers on my SxS or my over and unders and I don't understand the problematic argument either. I have a SKB 280E 20 gauge and a Winchester Model 23 12 gauge where both wear a single trigger that I shoot sporting clays with and I have never had an issue.

I would really look at older SKB SxS that were made in Japan. These shotguns are made like tanks and can take thousands of rounds without any issues and are in your price range.
Posted By: pullit Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
I saw where you were looking on GB, Cabela's gun Library, Double Guns, Jaqua's, and Guns International are also good places to look. There are more places, but that is a start and a good sampling of price and condition
Posted By: erich Re: SxS suggestions - 12/05/22
Another place to look is Simpsons Ltd, lots of dogs but there are some nice finds. Merkels, JP Sauers, Simmons, Husqvarnas. They will pull out a gun and look it over while you are asking questions about it. I made a swing through Galesberg a few years ago and the let me set up my equipment on a counter and kept bringing me shotguns off a list I brought in. I ended up taking five home with me. Well I took the barrels and they shipped the stock and receiver to my FFL it saved me money on shippiing.

Husqvarna 51
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by battue
Tread lightly, the whole you are looking into is not dug cheaply. 🤣

Truth !!! 🙄😏
Posted By: WMR Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
There’s no magic in a SxS. Get one that fits and you’ll shoot it well. Your budget will allow you to get a good one. Your money will go a LOT farther on the used market. A 12ga will get you more gun for the money. A small bore will run 50% more. IMO it is best to avoid the shortest and lightest guns that seem “quick”. A 28 inch 12ga will be plenty quick enough and will be much easier to shoot well.

A few that I like within your price range are Ithaca/SKB, Browning BSS, Ithaca NID, and the Fox Sterlingworth. I’ve also seen some quality Spanish guns in this range. Take your time and learn your way through the process and/or get expert advice. Budget some money to have chokes opened if necessary. Best wishes.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Thanks for all the great advise and recommendations.
I really do take all your expertise to heart and appreciate it. I'll be sure to fill you all in when I make a decision, right or wrong.
Thinking a SKB 280 with28" barrels or something similar may be what I'm after.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by WMR
There’s no magic in a SxS. Get one that fits and you’ll shoot it well. Your budget will allow you to get a good one. Your money will go a LOT farther on the used market. A 12ga will get you more gun for the money. A small bore will run 50% more. IMO it is best to avoid the shortest and lightest guns that seem “quick”. A 28 inch 12ga will be plenty quick enough and will be much easier to shoot well.

A few that I like within your price range are Ithaca/SKB, Browning BSS, Ithaca NID, and the Fox Sterlingworth. I’ve also seen some quality Spanish guns in this range. Take your time and learn your way through the process and/or get expert advice. Budget some money to have chokes opened if necessary. Best wishes.

Man, I don't know. I have one that makes magic. A Fox Sterlingworth made in 1910. It was my great grandfather's. He shot left handed and the stock was shaped to him. We must have been built nearly the same because the shotgun fits like a glove. It is the only shotgun that has never missed a turkey yet. Guys suggesting the double triggers are spot on. I like them and they feel natural once you get used to them. That second barrel has saved my azz a few times. A good double is great in the upland fields as well.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
I agree with much written above.

A few tips about the price point you are looking at... there are plenty of old American doubles in that range, but generally only in 12 ga. You'll pay plenty more for a nice 16, 20, or especially a 28ga.

Also decide early if you are ready to try double triggers. I really do like them, but find it hard to move back-and-forth between a single trigger and double trigger gun in the muscle memory moments of a hard flush.

You'll also find the majority of old doubles have at least one barrel with full chokes, which generally will not be compatible with steel shot. You might find good discounts on a 12 ga that has had then chokes opened, or barrels shortened removing a lot of the tight chokes. Generally don't shoot steel in any choke tighter than M. Also investigate the chamber lengths... there are a lot of 2.5 inch 12 ga. guns out these (esp. English or German) that are really tough to find non-toxic (or even lead) shot for right now.

And don't ignore the suggestions by MT_DD_FAN above. I really like the CZ Bobwhite 20 ga I bought several years ago for <$600. The wood is always plain, the metal lacks character, but you can shoot anything thru them, change chokes, and test your preferences for double triggers. I've traveled the world with mine.
Posted By: erich Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
I too have a 20ga CZ Bobwhite for high volume steel(ranges that require steel for skeet and SP), solid little shotgun.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Many years ago I bought a Ithaca 200E. It’s a very nice shotgun with a pistol grip and single trigger. I prefer double triggers on SxS guns. Other than the triggers I really like the gun for dove and quail. It’s a 20 gauge with I believe 25 inch barrels.
Hasbeen
Posted By: Ken_L Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Thanks for all the great advise and recommendations.
I really do take all your expertise to heart and appreciate it. I'll be sure to fill you all in when I make a decision, right or wrong.
Thinking a SKB 280 with28" barrels or something similar may be what I'm after.

I have the SKB 280E 20 gauge with 28" barrels with a modified and a full choke. I agree with others make sure it fits you. Mine has no recoil pad and I can shoot 100 rounds through it with no issues.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
If you are of fairly average build, an Ithaca SKB model 100 or 200 will probably fit you well.
Posted By: model70man Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
LeFever (Ithaca) Nitro Special. You can find them on GB or GA cheap and they flat-out work. 12, 16 or 20 gauge.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
I'll make some suggestions that haven't appeared here for the most part.

Browning BSS or the equivalent Miroku 500. The Browning will be a single trigger, ejector gun; the Miroku a double trigger, extractor gun.

I'd also look at Bernardelli Gamecocks, the F.A.I.R. Iside (the only new gun on this list), later Fox Sterlingworths (the ones built after Savage acquired Fox), Ithaca NIDs, SKBs (the Japanese ones, not the Turkish ones) and Ugartchea boxlocks. All of these are built for modern U.S. ammo (something not true of older British guns). If you go German, the so-called guild guns are often very fairly priced, but be sure they have 2-3/4 inch chambers. Those with short chambers probably aren't up to a regular diet of U.S. factory ammo.
Posted By: battue Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
The double trigger has two sides....Some just like the quickness one can go between chokes. Others think they are more reliable.

In the older guns it was definitely true...However, modern day single trigger guns are reliable to the point it would be rare to have an issue.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: SxS suggestions - 12/06/22
Just saw an kid Stevens 12 ga at the LGS. I think it was 349. CCH all intact. Solid gun. Older ones in 12 are reasonable, 20 ga likely would have been over 500
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by battue
........... modern day single trigger guns are reliable to the point it would be rare to have an issue.

No first hand experience. But I've heard and been told that may not be exactly the case with the Turkish guns (many bearing American brand names).

Truth ?? Rumor ?? Haters ??
Posted By: battue Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22
Don’t know. However, the mechanism for making a reliable Single trigger out of quality parts is well known. If there is any issue with following those established principles, then I would have reservations of thinking they could make a good double trigger shotgun.
Posted By: erich Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22
The problem with single triggers, is that the switch from one barrel to the next is done by recoil. There is a small pendulum in the trigger mechanism that the recoil pulse swings and sets the trigger for the second barrel. A fail to fire results in a non-functional weapon that you have to bump the butt on the ground or manually transfer to the second barrel with the barrel selector. Two trigger guns you just pull the second trigger. Two trigger shotguns are simple, basically two separate shotguns built as one neither barrel dependent on the other. You can fire either barrel at will.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22
The problem with single triggers, is that the switch from one barrel to the next is done by recoil. There is a small pendulum in the trigger mechanism that the recoil pulse swings and sets the trigger for the second barrel. A fail to fire results in a non-functional weapon that you have to bump the butt on the ground or manually transfer to the second barrel with the barrel selector. Two trigger guns you just pull the second trigger. Two trigger shotguns are simple, basically two separate shotguns built as one neither barrel dependent on the other. You can fire either barrel at will.

A Winchester 101 will fire without recoil, but it is an O/U shotgun. I don't know if they use the same type of trigger in their model 23...
Posted By: Reba Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22

Most that is true, but not on a "trigger plate action"
Posted By: pullit Re: SxS suggestions - 12/07/22
It depends on the trigger. Some of mine are mechanical and some are inertia in order to shoot the second barrel
Posted By: blackpowder62 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/08/22
I picked up a NOS in the original box Ithaca SKB model 100 20 gauge 2 weeks ago. Waited for 50 years for one and now I finally have it. Can't wait to get out and shoot it, beautiful gun. The price tag on the box is $299.99, wish I would have paid that for it!
Posted By: battue Re: SxS suggestions - 12/08/22
And some can easily be converted from inertia to mechanical. Modern day Brownings for example. Also Perazzi.
Posted By: WMR Re: SxS suggestions - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by blackpowder62
I picked up a NOS in the original box Ithaca SKB model 100 20 gauge 2 weeks ago. Waited for 50 years for one and now I finally have it. Can't wait to get out and shoot it, beautiful gun. The price tag on the box is $299.99, wish I would have paid that for it!

I used one back in the 70’s. Dad bought it and we boys shared it. I shot a few ducks with it but the most use came on rabbits. Dad was a beagle man and we killed loads of cottontails and snowshoe hares. Maybe the best times of my hunting life. Pass the Express 5’s please.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: SxS suggestions - 12/10/22

This is interesting to me,
I just naturally gravitated towards a single trigger on my initial browsing on GunBroker. I guess because of familiarity?
How long does it take generally to adjust to the 2 triggers? Is the only advantage the ability to chose your choke independently on first shot?

For me, it was less than one hunting session. I bought a FAIR Iside basic 16 ga with two triggers. It was awkward the first field or two we walked, but then it clicked. I had a IC choke in the right barrel (front trigger) and full in the left (back trigger). At the end of the day, a group of pheasants got up and one got between us. I was able to turn around, get on the back trigger and drop it with the full choke. If had one trigger and had to shoot the rt barrel first, that bird would have been far out of reach before I shot. I have single trigger guns, and don’t really prefer one over the other. However, those two triggers sure are handy.

In your price range, a FAIR Iside is great. I also have a single trigger Ithaca SKB 20 ga that is pretty sweet. Both of these are hard to beat in that price range. If you can find one, and Urgatheca, Browning, LC Smith, etc.. will all be good. I will say that you need to think hard about ejectors vs extractors too. My Iside basic has extractors. It took me longer to get used to that than the 2 triggers. When I open the action, I’m used to the empties flying out so I can quick reload. Not the case with extractors, but you can get used to them and get faster with time.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: SxS suggestions - 12/11/22
I just bought a CZ Bobwhite G2 in 20 gauge. Beautiful little gun for the money ($665 out the door).

I used to hunt with a borrowed 20 gauge double sxs when I was a kid and wanted one and now, 55 years later I have one. I need to get out and shoot it now.

I have an LC Smith 12 gauge that I inheri ted but it has Damascus barrels and my father had always told me not to shoot it. I may have to take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.
© 24hourcampfire