Home
Posted By: BKinSD Stuck choke tube - 02/05/23
The Maxus might have been so cheap because of the choke tube stuck in the barrel...its a mossy oak coated shotgun. I've tried oiling the tube at the mouth and leaving it a few days, no luck so far. Anyone got ideas on how to get it out? I think the finish on the barrel is a limiting factor...
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/05/23
Is it the type of choke that sticks out of the barrel or is it a flush one? How long has it been since the choke was removed the last time?
My youngest son had a modified choke tube in his Winchester Model 1200 since he bought the gun about 1994. He never took it out even once. Needless to say it got rusted in. I put the gun on my work bench and sprayed Kroil on the choke twice a day for about 5 days. It worked. Got the choke out. Did have the advantage that the original choke stuck out about a 1/4 inch.
Now if the choke is stuck from firing the wrong type of ammo, I can't help you there.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/05/23
I would begin by soaking the muzzle by submerging it for several days in a small can filled with something like Breakfree CLP. Keep it muzzle down submerged.

If that doesn’t work, there are number of other more aggressive techniques.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/05/23
Kroil. Can be Aero Kroil or regular in the can.

If aerosol maybe try not to get on the camo. Maybe a few drips a day for a week or so.

Very gentle heat with a hair dryer. Don't get the camo hot, just a little over warm. Stand barrel on muzzle, the Kroil will creep uphill.

Get some of it back where the choke meets the bore as well. The threads are back there.

Possibly stand barrel up in a few inches of the Kroil in a soup can. May bother camo but a redip isn't all that expensive if it messes up the dip job.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by GF1
I would begin by soaking the muzzle by submerging it for several days in a small can filled with something like Breakfree CLP. Keep it muzzle down submerged.

If that doesn’t work, there are number of other more aggressive techniques.

^^^^ good advice or Kroil ^^^^^. Yep stand it up in a glass bottle full of kroil overnight and it will loosen up.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
As 10gaugemag said, heat it up with a hair dryer along with soaking in a penetrating oil. Which choke tube wrench? The key type or the "T" handle? If the choke tube wrench doesn't rest on the barrel, only on the choke tube, tap on it after soaking and heating and then try turning it.
Posted By: pullit Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
Kroil would be my first choice, followed by heat gun or hair dryer
Posted By: MOGC Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
Kroil for sure. Might try the freezer? Heat expands, cold contracts... just spitballing.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
Thanks this is helpful.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/06/23
All good suggestions.

Buddy had a flush mount stuck in a SBE. Did all of above, none worked. Took it to a gunsmith and he was able to get it out without destroying barrel/threads. Clamped and used a giant bar with a welded on wrench. The tube was trashed but the barrel was fine.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/08/23
KRoil is the best fug the rest....mb
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/08/23
cheaper and maybe better than kroil is 1/2 atf and 1/2 acetone, mix well.
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/08/23
Posted By: Double_Aught Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/08/23
Had a briley thin wall choke rusted in an old bps I had. I soaked it muzzle down in kroil for a couple days and that sucker still wouldn’t budge and I wound up stripping out the slots for the choke wrench. Ended up having to heat it up with a heat gun and use a large ez out to get it out. It messed up the choke but the barrel was fine. I’d try an oil soak first and maybe some heat.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/09/23
I had Kroil ruin a cerakote type finish on a knife once. It was a coated Browning knife. Coating lifted off so I just stripped it all off. Just be aware.
Posted By: acloco Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/09/23
Soak in Amsoil and put the barrel in the freezer over night.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/09/23
Above all, time and patience are your friends here. Let it sit with penetrating oil for a week. Couple times a day, tap the muzzle end with a rubber mallet - vibration and light shocks help move things around. Warm/cold cycles also help. Give the penetrating oil time to work.
Posted By: pullit Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/09/23
be sure and let us know what worked when you get it out.
Posted By: steveus Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/10/23
Originally Posted by gunscrew
I have used this mix and it usually has worked like magic! Have also seen a few barrels ruined by being twisted, so go slow.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/11/23
so far nothing has worked. been super busy with work but have used penetrating oil which really messed up the dip/coating, and have procured a t-wrench also. still at it, going to try heat and cold this weekend along with some Kroil.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/11/23
Originally Posted by BKinSD
so far nothing has worked. been super busy with work but have used penetrating oil which really messed up the dip/coating, and have procured a t-wrench also. still at it, going to try heat and cold this weekend along with some Kroil.
Redip will be cheap if you get the tube out.

Tarjac would be my recommendation for that if you want to have it redone.

What choke is in it now? Any chance you can measure the I.D of the choke to see if it's possibly swollen?
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/11/23
Fixed choke guns can be pretty versatile if IC or Mod. What is in the gun? If tighter than you want you could get the choke opened up assuming it doesn't come out with your best efforts.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/11/23
Browning Maxus.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/20/23
Its out.

I went out to Runnings last weekend and bought a rubber stopper in the nuts and bolts aisle, and a can of SeaFoam Deep Creep. (The Kroil showed up on Weds) I put the barrel in a padded vise, canted down and put enough Deep Creep in to it to reach the threads. I topped it off a couple of times during the week. Went to the Hills for the weekend. When I got home last night, I emptied it, put a Browning T wrench on it and it wouldn't move. Then I put a crescent on the flats of the T wrench and it started to move. After a few turns, I was able to take the crescent off and get it all the way out. Its got a Carlson's Turkey in it now and will be ready for action in April.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/20/23
Rusty?
The threads were, yes
May be able to get a tool to clean them out on the barrel side of things.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/20/23
Bk ,I use a little bit of automotive grade anti seize dope on my choke tube threads..mb
That's a super good idea MB, thanks for the tips all. I've never had this happen to me.
Is this a gun you bought and had the choke seized in it when you bought it?
Posted By: pullit Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/20/23
good to hear you got it out.
Posted By: battue Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/21/23
Watch it closely, had one that was tight to get out and the choke showed some rust...No matter how much I oiled the choke and brushed the treads, if you let it sit for long it would always be stiff when you took it out.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/21/23
Used to put the barrels in a freezer overnight, and warm up some oil (Kroil, 10-w40, whatever) in a can, and stick the end of the cold barrel in the warm oil. Usually heard the choke pop loose due to expansion rate. .
Posted By: steveus Re: Stuck choke tube - 02/21/23
good job !
© 24hourcampfire