Home
Posted By: Obi_Wan Tape remover? - 03/18/23
I have 2 shotguns that had the stick on fiber optic sights at one time. There is residual tape on the ribs. What is the best suggestion for getting it off and out of the grooves on the ribs without hurting the finish?
Posted By: GF1 Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Rem oil or similar, a rag and a toothbrush.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
WD-40 or any other type of spray solvent. Bore cleaner.....etc.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
In addition to the above: rubbing alcohol, acetone, cleaning solvent, or any other such substance. Some fine dust or dryer lint worked into the residue and then rubbed down with a paper towel, terry cloth, or other sort of rough cloth will remove it handily. In fact, one can skip the dust and cloth and just rub with one's finger or thumb.

It is the same adhesive as found on double back tape so there are dozens of ways to get it off a surface. A gun barrel is perhaps the easiest.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Forget all the other crap in this thread and get this...
It's made for removing tape residue, is not toxic and doesn't damage surfaces.
[Linked Image from images.thdstatic.com]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Another product that works well is food-grade silicon spray. I buy the CRC brand. Use it in my meat grinder and on crossbow rails, among other things.
Posted By: dian Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Another vote for Goo-Gone. Amazing stuff.
Posted By: WMR Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by dian
Another vote for Goo-Gone. Amazing

We use it for a lot of stuff. Also, to remove tape or stickers, I often heat them with a hair dryer. This seems to soften or liquefy the adhesive and makes removal a breeze.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by dian
Another vote for Goo-Gone. Amazing stuff.

+2
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Forget all the other crap in this thread and get this...
It's made for removing tape residue, is not toxic and doesn't damage surfaces.
[Linked Image from images.thdstatic.com]
Especially since WD-40 is what most camo tape manufactures used to recommend to remove adhesive residue.

No need to go buy something when any solvent a gun guy already has is on the shelf.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Googone can damage the finish on a stock if you accidentally get it on it, WD40, Mineral oil, Rem Oil , Wesson Oil as well as any other non petroleum oils will not . They are slower but safer and everybody has at least one in their house.
Matte/blue barrels or camo hydro dipped??
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
12 ga. or 20 ga. Wood or synthetic stock?
How many rounds fired?

These are important considerations, seeing as how the first response adequately answered the question.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Tape remover? - 03/18/23
Its on the vent rib. Blued (matte). Tried Rem Oil. Didn't touch it. WD40 didn't do much either.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
12 ga. or 20 ga. Wood or synthetic stock?
How many round fired?

These are important considerations, seeing as how the first response adequately answered the question.
Unless it was hydro dipped at which point solvent might phu.ck up the film.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Tape remover? - 03/19/23
The liquid type lighter fluid in the yellow bottle for zippo lighters works extremely well. I learned this from an older guy I worked at an appliance store with. We used the lighter fluid to remove all sorts of adhesives from appliances without harming the finish on them.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Tape remover? - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Another product that works well is food-grade silicon spray. I buy the CRC brand. Use it in my meat grinder and on crossbow rails, among other things.

Any silicone spray will create nightmares if the finish is redone. I will not let it in my house and will never use it on a gun.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tape remover? - 03/30/23
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Any silicone spray will create nightmares if the finish is redone. I will not let it in my house and will never use it on a gun.

Never used it on a gun, only for removing gunk. I’ll file that tidbit under “Don’t Do This”. Thanks.
Posted By: 351WSL Re: Tape remover? - 04/06/23
Originally Posted by Edwin264
The liquid type lighter fluid in the yellow bottle for zippo lighters works extremely well. I learned this from an older guy I worked at an appliance store with. We used the lighter fluid to remove all sorts of adhesives from appliances without harming the finish on them.

Works amazingly well, is cheap and any gas station has it!
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Tape remover? - 04/07/23
Hoppes #9 for the win.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Tape remover? - 04/16/23
I just removed some old camo tape residue from an old Rem 1100 this weekend. I used WD40 on the wood and metal surfaces. I had it taped pretty well over the entire shotgun and the old tape just seperated when I pulled it off.

Wiped the wood with soap and water after. Took a little soak on the metal but came off pretty well.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Tape remover? - 05/21/23
Go on Amazon and get medical tape residue remover pads.

It works fast and cleans up easily.
© 24hourcampfire