Home
Posted By: mckbcat2000 Better auto - 12/04/23
Benelli SBE or Beretta A400? Hunting turkey and occasionally snow goose. Thanks
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Have you handled both , pick them up and see which fits you better . I've shot both and would go with the A400 myself
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
Best auto I've ever owned/shot is a Remington versamax. 2 3/4-3.5" with 0 issues. Add that in to your search.
Posted By: pullit Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
I think either of the B guns you mentioned would be great. For me, I like the Beretta better as they fit me better, and the fact that they are a gas gun is a plus in my book.
Posted By: battue Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
If reliability is a reason, there are 1000’s of A400’s that have gone 50,000 plus rounds and are still at it.
Posted By: DUKFVR Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
If that is the only choices, Beretta
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Better auto - 12/04/23
Maxus
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Better auto - 12/05/23
I have and like both, but would go with an XLR5. Second would be SBE. The XLR5 Chesapeake is a great do-everything gun.
Posted By: mckbcat2000 Re: Better auto - 12/05/23
The gun store, the other day, had a great deal on a new Winchester auto. Don't remember the model off hand, SX4 maybe. I've not looked into those. I know 2 guys that have them and use them like hunting guns way more than I ever would and report 0 issues.
Posted By: WMR Re: Better auto - 12/07/23
Both are high quality guns. Choose the one you like. I’d buy the A300 for half the money. No turkey or goose would know the difference.
Posted By: gruvco2 Re: Better auto - 12/07/23
i've handled and fired both, hundreds of times. both a great guns. the beretta fits me better and seems to kick less, possibly because of the fit. if you cant shoot both before buying, at least handle both together and go by which feels better. good luck jim
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Better auto - 12/07/23
Own both. And a Winchester SX3. All are great.

Don't think there's an answer to your question.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Better auto - 12/07/23
If A400 is gas, that may soften those turkey loads.

Otherwise I am an inertia guy after my good experience with Franchi Affinity's.

Inertias will be lighter to carry in the turkey woods, but punish you in the goose blind.

So I suggest a heavy gas gun for goose and light gun for turkey.

And my answer offered little help...
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Better auto - 12/09/23
I am an interia shotgun guy so id go with the SBE (or an M2 even better) but i am not going to say anything negative about a Beretta A400, they are by all accounts a very good shotgun....Good luck..Hb
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Better auto - 12/09/23
The average American male is now 5' 9" tall with a sleeve length of 34-inches. Accordingly the arm's manufacturers must take this into consideration as they produce firearms. For instance in the 70's the 'standard length of pull' avaeraged about 13.25" - today that's pretty much 13.75". So having said that, taking your body size/dimensions into account, the more variation you are from average, the more critcal fit will be with of each shotgun you consider. I don't care how great it's reliability is, if you can't hit well with it, what good is it for you? So I definitely would not buy something that I could find a way to shoot or shoot one like it before hand. If this is going to for waterfowl hunting in cold climates, then I would also wear your regular duck hunting coat when it I test-shot. YMMV.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Better auto - 12/09/23
Never owned a Beretta, but I can tell you that my SBE3 and Franchi Affinity 3 are both nasty on turkey.
Posted By: battue Re: Better auto - 12/10/23
Beretta has shims to adjust fit… I would think Benelli has the same.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Better auto - 12/10/23
Battue, that should be the ticket - as for Berettas, I've shot AL-2s and a 390 and loved them both & both totally reliable.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Better auto - 12/11/23
Originally Posted by WMR
Both are high quality guns. Choose the one you like. I’d buy the A300 for half the money. No turkey or goose would know the difference.
I saw an A300 Camo 20ga yesterday for $750 brand new. I didn't buy it because my wife was with me. She doesn't love the guns like I do. I don't have anything to add to this thread, I remember this post and wanted to lament not buying it.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Better auto - 12/11/23
I have only had the Beretta gas gun. A 391 sporting I bought in 2000 to shoot sporting clays with, softer recoil.
Since then I have used it for everything from doves to turkey. Always works, doesn’t jam with any loads including 1oz target reloads. Shoot turkey loads every spring works great and recoil is a lot softer than my O/U.
I really like it, so my vote would be the Beretta.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: battue Re: Better auto - 12/11/23
The 391 may be the best of the Beretta’s for balance and handling.
Posted By: WMR Re: Better auto - 12/12/23
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by WMR
I saw an A300 Camo 20ga yesterday for $750 brand new. I didn't buy it because my wife was with me. She doesn't love the guns like I do. I don't have anything to add to this thread, I remember this post and wanted to lament not buying it.

I bought a camo A300 20ga this fall from Palmetto State Armory. It was $699 with free shipping. I didn’t really need it, but was too good to pass up.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Better auto - 12/12/23
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by WMR

I bought a camo A300 20ga this fall from Palmetto State Armory. It was $699 with free shipping. I didn’t really need it, but was too good to pass up.
I feel like I didn't know how much I needed it until I saw it was $750. I told my wife I could miss all kinds of birds with that thing, way better than I miss with my other shotguns.
Posted By: JSH Re: Better auto - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by SS336
I have only had the Beretta gas gun. A 391 sporting I bought in 2000 to shoot sporting clays with, softer recoil.
Since then I have used it for everything from doves to turkey. Always works, doesn’t jam with any loads including 1oz target reloads. Shoot turkey loads every spring works great and recoil is a lot softer than my O/U.

Very cool way of preserving beard/spurs!
I don't have either of those specific guns but a Beretta A390 12 gauge and a newer A300 20 gauge have been very reliable for me.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Better auto - 12/27/23
You should really find a way to shoot the model shotgun you are thinking of buying. I was thinking about buying a beretta auto a couple of years ago. My best friend has one and hates it. I borrowed his for a dove hunt. I couldn't hit a thing with it. 20 shots and never hit one dove. Swapped back to mine and started downing birds. I completely lost interest in a Beretta 300 after trying his.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Better auto - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by JSH
Originally Posted by SS336

Very cool way of preserving beard/spurs!
I don't have either of those specific guns but a Beretta A390 12 gauge and a newer A300 20 gauge have been very reliable for me.

Thanks, I saw a picture of spurs and beards done this way and just copied it.
I have a few now and like it better than fans and beards on a plaque. Doesn’t take up as much room.

© 24hourcampfire