Home
Posted By: k_harris Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/05/09
Does anyone have experience with a very light 12 ga. load that is commercially available? My wife has inherited a beautiful SXS from her father. It fits her like it was made for her. However, it weighs about 6 1/2 pounds. She wants to hunt grouse with it. I have looked at the Aguila mini shells in 7 1/2 shot, but there must be other "light" loads that are suitable to hunt with. I want this to be a pleasant experience for her. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/05/09
I think there are a few "managed recoil" loads with 7/8 ounce of shot at reduced velocity offered by several manufacturers.
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/06/09
Google RST Shotshells or Polywad Shotshells. They are both high quality shells with lower pressures and recoil designed for the older short chambered shotguns.
Posted By: k_harris Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/06/09
Thanks Bay Dog,

That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/07/09
I saw a box of some super light loads by either Remington or Winchester at Wal-mart the other day. I'd start there and see what you can find.
Posted By: mdmnm Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/11/09
Check out B&P, particularly their "high pheasant" loads. $81/10 boxes and free shipping right now for the 1 oz loads in 6 or 7 shot. Nice shells, safe in any double that's ok for smokeless powder, and not much recoil. They also have other managed recoil loads, but I don't think they come in the larger shot sizes like sixes.

https://www.bandpusa.com/Shopping/index.php?cPath=65_67
Posted By: mw406 Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/12/09
Winchester WinLites
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/14/09
Try the Winchester low recoil/low noise loads, they are fast and do just as well as heavier loads in my experience on many doves using a SxS.

Posted By: ColdBore Re: Light 12 Ga. Loads - 09/15/09
Originally Posted by k_harris
Does anyone have experience with a very light 12 ga. load that is commercially available?

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with factory loaded stuff any more, but I load a lot of 7/8 oz 12 ga loads for sporting clays. A noticeable reduction in recoil, they pattern great, and seem to break just as many targets.

I'm a big believer in lighter payloads for the majority of shotgunning.
© 24hourcampfire