Home
Hello,

I am looking for comments and reviews from anyone who has hunted with Beretta BL guns. These were fixed choked O/U made in the 60's and early 70's. They were also sold under the S55 or similar model number in Europe. Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ddj
I used to have one, hunted with it some. This was a long time ago...I think it was a BL 3, but like I said...many years. I bought it when I was in the army, about 1971 or so.

It was a good shotgun. What can I say other than that?
Thanks Gene.

I have been looking at the BL-4 and Bl-5's. I was told by 2 friends who are shotgun loonies that Beretta built their name on guns like these.

ddj
I had a BL-3 imported by Garcia for many years. It was a 20 Mag with 28" barrels choked full and imp. mod; I had the lower barrel rechoked to imp. cyl. Deadly and totally reliable; also light.
I have hunted and shot the BL-3 and BL-4 Berreta's in 12 gauge. Shot my first one @ 1984 or so on the skeet range. Shot my first 50 straight with it. They are light and fit me extremely well. Very nice, even after 3500 rounds, locks up tight. They point and swing very well. Never handled one that was not easy to open and solid on the lock up.

Also, they are not as muzzle heavy as the 600 series Berreta's. Personal thing, but I like them better than the new ones.
I have three favorite O/Us currently and a 12 gauge BL-4 is one of them. A Black Onyx 12 and a 101 waterfowl are the others. I have also had BL-3s (which differ only in the lack of ejectors) and a couple other BL-4s. They are as good as a factory, middle of the road, gun gets.

I had my current one tubed with thin-wall tubes. No steel, but I have other guns for that.

If you shoot it well you cannot go wrong with them. They are tough.
Thanks guys. I had someone reply to my want ad and should have one in a week or so. I will let you know how it shoots and review it a bit. I don't think there is a lot of info on these guns. I think they fly under the radar a bit.

ddj
Trouthunter is a well-known troll on other forums. He lives in his mom's basement and doesn't even own a firearm. Don't feed the troll.
Thanks Again for the help guys.

I recieved a BL-5 a couple days ago and was very impressed with it. The fit and finish are outstanding and seem to be very high quality. It fit me really well and I believe these guns are hand engraved. This particular BL-5 locks up tight and the lever is right of center. I am anxious to shoot and hunt with it and will let you know of the results. I appreciate all the positive comments and opinions about these Beretta's. They seem to be an extremely good value.

Sorry for Dpole's post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These are fine firearms. I have had several over the years, one still remains in my safe. Happens to be a 20 guage 3 inch BL-3 that seems quite deadly due to fitting perfectly.

Since they are not current, I would not use them for high volume clay shooting, but for any other use they are dandy.

That BL-5 is real purty.

HM
Thanks Halfmile,

I may use it to shoot sporting clays once a year but I use mine almost exclusively for hunting. As a hunting gun I would expect these BL guns to shine. They are lightweight and have an action that made Beretta famous. Just my opinion of course.

ddj
Thread resurrection time. Just doing some research and found this thread. I was looking because I picked up a bl 3 28 ga today and was curious what others thought of them.
The one I got appears to have been a safe queen, I needed to force the action open to load the bottom barrel. It’s choked f/m but I did well on the practice range at my sporting clays club.
Anyone else have one to comment on?
Parts have always been a problem. Beretta had poor product support here back then and the situation never improved. I had a couple BL and they were good handling guns. I had one break an extractor and it was a pain replacing it. Rich Cole was the Beretta guru back then and he had nothing on hand and had no idea when or if he would come up with one. Numrich Arms was no more helpful so I had Rich make me an extractor for a moderately expensive price.

The BL series are nice guns but they are not one I would want as my only gun. One could be out of a gun for an extended time and potentially end up with a relatively high repair cost.
My Dad bought me a BL4 20 28" F/ M when I was 12. Hunted with it a lot through the years. Light gun that works. Had the ejector springs changed several years ago didn't cost much. Less than 30 bucks. It is a nice gun.
Thanks guys
Kicking myself for not picking up a S57E (European version of a BL5) at Cabelas in Salt Lake a month ago. Went back a week later and it was gone.
Eight years since this post and my BL4 is still chugging along, killing grouse and ptarmigan mostly.
I have a S56E 20 Ga with double triggers. Very similar to th BL. Very nice pointing guns
BL3 in 20ga. No complaints.
Nice to hear that others feel the same way I do.
I've had a BL-4 since the late seventies. 26' barrels, wide rib, choked skeet/skeet.
I've used it for everything skeet, sporting clays, upland birds, pheasants.
Light, quick and most importantly fit. Sold my Superposed after I got the Beretta.
Originally Posted by kenacp
BL3 in 20ga. No complaints.

My father had a 20ga BL3 and I was a little pissed when he sold it without telling me... I suspect I would be extremely vulnerable if one popped up for reasonable money.
I have a BL-5 12ga 28"barrels Mod and Full I might sell if the price was right. It has seen very little use and is very tight My brother in-law had a recoil pad installed without cutting the stock so if you could find a original but plate for it you could put it back to factory condition.
© 24hourcampfire