Home
Posted By: brayh92 Stoeger upland opinions - 09/10/12
Thinkin about gettin a Stoeger upland in either 16 or 20 gauge for dove hunting anyone have experience with these
I used one in 20 gauge a few years ago and I loved it. Maybe I was just having a good day, but I really shot well with it. If
If my gunsmith doesn't fix my old Spanish 20 gauge doube some time this century I may end up with one of these.
Posted By: C_Hell Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/10/12
I think you should spend a little more money and get a CZ.
Posted By: passport Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/10/12
Originally Posted by C_Hell
I think you should spend a little more money and get a CZ.

+1

The Stoger shotguns I have looked at were just poor quality, but that said I have not touched one in years, maybe there better now.....
Posted By: Redneck Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/10/12
Originally Posted by rossileverboy92
Thinkin about gettin a Stoeger upland in either 16 or 20 gauge for dove hunting anyone have experience with these
IF you have the bux - consider one of these instead...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side-Shotguns/BI.aspx?Keywords=SKB

Posted By: brayh92 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/10/12
I like Ithaca sxs guns but I'm not lookin to spend a grand plus on a hunting gun that's why I was looking at the Stoeger uplander a decent lookin gun for a decent price but I'm going to look into the cz's a little more
How about an over under? The CZ Mallard is priced right and is a good double trigger gun. Street price is just over $500.
Posted By: brayh92 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/12/12
Had a guy offer me a sxs ithaca and a rem 1100 for a Winchester 94 .30-30 I have that's never been shot thinkin that's prolly what I'm gonna get now
I love the Ithaca SXS that was made by SKB. They fit me well and are rugged. Don't own one though. By the time I thought I could afford one they were discontinued. Now I don't see them around here at all. With Gunbroker, one may be in my future.

Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/23/12
I've had a Stoeger (Amantino) 20 ga. Uplander Special for 6 or 8 years now. It's an English-stocked, double trigger SxS with 24" barrels, 3" chambers and screw-in tubes. I have only shot trap with it. I LOVE IT !!!!! It's of very acceptable quality (better than the Silver Reserve), fit and finish. It is a nickled reciever with gloss bluing. The wood is plain. But the price was modest. My only regret is not getting the 26" barels as I'm 6'2"-ish and the 24's feel just a whisker on the short side to me.
Posted By: brayh92 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 09/25/12
Since my deal fell threw I'm still lookin I like the looks of the uplander special and if I got one it would definalty be a 26 inch barrels 20 gauge I really want a 16 gauge though I wish they made the special in more than just 12 and 20 that's why I've been lookin at the uplander because they make it in a 16 gauge it just doesn't have the sleek look of the special
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/08/12
I have owned a few of the Stoeger Uplander shotguns in 12 ga., 20 gs., and .410 (still have the .410). They are decently balanced, solid shotguns, but with no frills.

My main "problems" with the Uplander aren't just with that model, but are common to most lower priced, modern doubles. The action is pretty slab sided with no "contouring" or decoration. The stocks are a little too thick and "squarish" for my taste and the forearm is WAY too wide and thick (I know it's called a beavertail.....but does it have to look and feel like it was just cut off the beaver?). I also dislike the underrib being "hogged out" with gaps instead of solid.

That said it is a very good value for the money and should give years of service. I grew up shooting L.C. Smith and A.H. Fox shotguns so my standards are pretty high as far as style and looks go.

A "proper" double should be trim, with a very small splinter forearm.....the Stoeger is definitely NOT of this style. "Modern" shooters seem to prefer a more "beefy" gun and wide forearms, so others my not find this style as objectionable. I'd class the Stoeger with the Stevens 311 guns.....solid, servicable, but not "pretty". However, it also doesn't cost anywhere near what an L.C Smith or Fox would cost.
Posted By: brayh92 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/08/12
Your exactly right I would get a fox if they weren't so damn much I'm a hunter not a collector so I have guns I use not 30 that sit in the safe and get takin out once every year (not that I have anything against that just can't afford it) So I'm just lookin for a bird gun right now mostly does and pheasant I agree with you though the new style forearms are nowhere near as fitting as the old splinter ones I would like to find a old Ithaca 16 sxs for a decent price
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/08/12
I believe the CZ Bobwhite has a fairly trim, splinter fore doesn't it ??

They are pretty reasonably priced. But I have not shot one.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/08/12
Originally Posted by TexasRick
They are decently balanced, solid shotguns, but with no frills.

I'd class the Stoeger with the Stevens 311 guns.....solid, servicable, but not "pretty". However, it also doesn't cost anywhere near what an L.C Smith or Fox would cost.

In a nutshell. Yep.
Posted By: brayh92 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/09/12
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I believe the CZ Bobwhite has a fairly trim, splinter fore doesn't it ??

They are pretty reasonably priced. But I have not shot one.

I love cz guns but there about a grand a gun I can get a Stoeger for 400 out the door no where near as good lookin a gun and if you ever get the chance to shoot them both a cz aims much better and is much more comfortable in your hands but as we have been discussing a Stoeger will get the job done and is a very tuff gun they just aren't lookers
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Stoeger upland opinions - 10/09/12
Might wanna check out Bud's Gun Shop on Gun Broker.

He's got a brand new 20 ga. CZ Bobwhite "Buy it now" for $574. Auction ends around lunchtime today.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=310523909

I have bought guns from Bud's. Never anything but smooth transactions.
© 24hourcampfire