Home
I see both Winchester and Federal make steel shot loads for the 28 ga. Anybody have a preference as to brand ? I suspect I'll have to use 6's on Mtn. Quail and Blue Grouse. Anybody use the 7's on anything with good results ? E
It must suck to live in California. Can't imagine having to use Steel shot in my fine little 28ga S/S.
It does. But might give me an excuse to buy a new 20 ga. Benelli... E
I used to hunt snipe at Fallon sink in NV, the 7 steel did OK on them. If I remember correctly I was using Herter's shells, in 12 ga.
Thanks. E
I'd be interested to know how you make out with steel in your 28. I just bought some 7s to try in my 870 Wingmaster, but of course quail season (what there was of it) is done.
I don't know about the 28 gauge, but I will say this....steel shot in the smaller gauges SUCK!!! There isn't enough velocity to kill reliably, and with the pressures that steel generates, I would be worried about it splitting the welds on any fine SxS double barrel. It will pattern tight, so any quail you do hit will likely be shredded.
I think a better option would be to use something along the lines of bismuth or NICE shot. Safe for older guns, has characteristics similar to lead, nontoxic, and lethal at shotgun distances.
I still have a full box of .410 bismuth I got years ago, price tag was $35 something and change even back in the mid-90's. There are quite a few non-toxic choices these days, it seems.
I'm waiting for a few boxes of 6's to show up. When they do, I'm going to pattern them and may even hunt them this year. I'll post how they do.
My gun is an 870 as well. I shoot Mtn. quail and Blues at the shorter ranges so I'm not worried about patterns or killing power. Steel looses power out past 30-35 yds. E
I've take a couple small, decoyed ducks with Winchester #6 steel. You have to know your limitations.

P.S. Rogers Sporting Goods usually has the best price on steel-shot.
© 24hourcampfire