Home
20ga bolt action shotgun.
I need a scope, rings and bases. Which do you recommend for this gun?
Thanks in advance!
I started with a Leupold 4X that I had in the safe, I could shoot 2 1/2" groups with it.
Moved to a VX2 3-9x40 , that shrunk the groups to 1 1/2".
The Leupold is mounted in Weaver Quad locks.
Talleys would be fine also.
Leupold has slug gun/BP gun specific models. I'd get one of those.
I use a FF2 2x7 on mine...it is OK but would go with the 3x9 if doing over , the 3x9 has better eye relief

simple weaver rings and bases are more than adequate
I have set up 2 for myself and one for a buddy. One of mine wears a VX2 3-9x40 in leupold dovetail extended. The other has talley extended lows with a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40. If you use the talley extended lows you will be limited to certain scopes, VX3 2.5-8 are too short even with the extended rings and some scopes with large power selector rings (bushnell trophy 3-9) will not work with the low height. Leupold VXs longer than the 2.5-8 should work fine with the talley extended lows.
The 220s I have bought came with bases- the one were from the factory and the other were simple Weavers. I used plain Jane Weaver Tip-off rings too, they have worked well on various guns for decades.

As mentioned, there can be challenges with the scope in regards to body length.I have had an old Weaver 3x, a Burris 2.5x, Bushnell 3200 3-9x and Burris 3-9x scopes on mine. I prefer the higher power scopes as I generally slug hunt to fill out antlerless tags and like the added magnification in an attempt to identify nubbins so I don't shoot a fawn buck. At the ranges I shoot, 9x is just enough most of the time but would like a bit more. If any legal deer is the goal, then the lower power scopes are fine.
Treat it like you would a .30-06

I have a 4-12x40 on my Browning A-bolt
Appreciate the intel
I used Talley mounts and rings and a Bushnell 4200 3-9 scope. It shoots lights out.
I went with a Leupold 2-7x shotgun scope. Used Remington 3" Accutip ammo to sight in. Single hole at 50 yards, a little over 1" at 100. Very impressed. Knowing it's capability now I wish I had bought a 3-9x scope.
I know longarm already made his choice but the Nikon Slughunter is a great scope. I have used 2 of them, very satisfied.
© 24hourcampfire