Home
Posted By: wilkeshunter 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Hey Gang,

I am beginning my search for a 20 gauge for my young son. I’m currently considering the Remington Sportsman, Weatherby SA-08, Mossberg SA-20, and Tristar. Anyone have a strong opinion on any of these?
Posted By: ribka Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
is this his first firearm?

max cost?

Set on a semi auto?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
He has a .410 single shot that he is is using currently to hunt squirrels with. He shoots a Henry .22, .223, and a .30-30 with reduced recoil loads also.

I would like to stay under $650.00.

I would prefer a gas operated semi auto for the reduced recoil.
Posted By: passport Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
1100 hands down
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Originally Posted by passport
1100 hands down

^^^This^^^

They have a new synthetic version that retails for less than $500
Posted By: Redneck Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Originally Posted by passport
1100 hands down
Double "this"...

Stay away from the Mossberg and Tristar..
Thanks fellas!
Posted By: driftless Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Used 870 Wingmaster, the pump will make him thank about follow up shots. It will be lighter then the 1100 and I feel safer, easy to see that action open.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Originally Posted by driftless
Used 870 Wingmaster, the pump will make him thank about follow up shots. It will be lighter then the 1100 and I feel safer, easy to see that action open.

It'll also have a lot more recoil than an 1100. Nothing worse than setting a kid up for failure by pounding the snot out of him. If you're worried about safety only let him chamber 1 round at a time.
Posted By: driftless Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
A lot more, it depends on what you feed the shotgun. Load it up with 3/4 oz loads that your auto will not work with, and you will have A nice light shooting gun.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
Or cut a dowel as a plug to limit the capacity to only the chamber or whatever number of rounds you wish up to max. I've done too many times to count.

I would go with the Remington mostly due to long time familiarity. My first choice would be a Beretta 390 or 391 though. They are older models so one would be looking at used. I bought my wife a 390 in 1996 and it is still going strong.

I want to say the Weatherby and the Mossberg are the same guns mechanically. Even though I have heard good things about them I would be hesitant to buy one as my only shotgun due to a history of both companies not supporting their semi-autos very well. Mossberg is particularly poor in this way in my eyes. The last good demiauto was the 1000 which was built by Howa and imported by S&W.

I won't have anything to do with Tristar. They are merely an importer and will change manufacturers as finances dictate. I have other reasons to dislike Tristar and as such pay them no mind.

I would also look at 12 ga guns. With standard 1 oz target loads at 1200 fps or less recoil will be similar to a 20 ga due to the 12 ga being heavier. Depending on the use, a 12 ga might be a better choice too. This is especially true if one is looking at waterfowl as steel shot is more effective in the 12 ga than a 20.
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by driftless

It'll also have a lot more recoil than an 1100. Nothing worse than setting a kid up for failure by pounding the snot out of him. If you're worried about safety only let him chamber 1 round at a time.

This is my thought as well.
Posted By: GF1 Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/03/18
The older ones are better. I would scour used racks and the ‘net for a nice one.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/05/18
I think the 1100 is heavy.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/05/18
There is an ad in the classifieds for a new / old 870. New in the box---20 gauge Magnum. 26" barrel with screw in choke tubes. I don't know how to post the link. $550 It's post by----jpterry
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/07/18
If you were to compare a Mossberg SA-20 or Tristar Viper G2 (they are literally the same gun rebadged by two good companies) to a Remington 1100, then I am very certain you would choose the first two over the Remington every day of the week.

The Mossberg/Tristar is the easy choice here.

The Remington 1100 would come in a long way to the rear of a lot of other guns as well, such as a Win SX3 or Benelli Monte if you would take an inertia gun.
Posted By: weagle Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/08/18
The Weatherby, Mossberg and Tristar are all branded versions of the same turkish shotgun. All are designed after the Beretta 303 and are very good shotguns. Every test I have seen rates all three very high. I would stay away from any new Remington firearm.

My recommendation would be the Mossberg.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/08/18
The Weatherby SA-08 is not exactly the same gun as the Mossberg/Tristar.

It has some slightly different internals under the forend.

The main difference though is the carrier button concept. The Weatherby has a button alongside the triggerguard that functions like a Benelli/Beretta carrier shell release. If you like that feature then get the Weatherby.

If you like just a plain old load/unload autoloader, then get the Mossberg/Tristar. I would agree, that I would get the Mossberg brand because they seem to always have nice wood on them.
Posted By: DMc Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/10/18
My youngest daughter likes a 28ga 870 and chose that after shooting both a 28 ga 11-48 and a 20ga 1100.

I can't imagine a youngster not liking an 870 28ga or 20ga.

[Linked Image]

DMc : )

PS: Just cut her name into her stock...

[Linked Image]
Middle daughter loves her 1100 20 ga!!!

[Linked Image]

Oldest shoots an 11-48 28ga. (Right)

[Linked Image]

...and a Rem 1100 28 ga.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: fburgtx Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/20/18
Rem 1100 LW or LT. As an FYI, the Franchi 48's are nice and light, but I always thought they kicked like hell, yes, in 20 ga...
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 20 gauge opinions - 01/20/18
My wife shoots an 1100 LW-20. She tried my 20 ga Citori and thinks the 1100 kicks less. To be fair, it had the stock cut down by previous owner and had a recoil pad installed, the Citori just has the plastic plate.
© 24hourcampfire