Home
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter ruger red label - 05/23/18
Had this on gunsmith forum with no response, so I will try here. I am looking for a set of 28 ga barrels for a ruger red label, any ideas where I might find a set?
Posted By: passport Re: ruger red label - 05/23/18
Call Ruger, but I highly doubt your going to find any.

Im assuming you already have a 28ga that needs another set of tubes for some reason
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: ruger red label - 05/24/18
called ruger yesterday no luck, I got a 20 ga that I want to add a set od 28 barrels. I f I can find a monoblock to fit I can get a set built.
Posted By: passport Re: ruger red label - 05/24/18
Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze . I think your better off buying a whole gun
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: ruger red label - 05/29/18
Well yea, that would be the easy way out, But Jim Beam and I got together and we started wondering "just how cool would it be to have a set of 28's to go with the 20?"
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: ruger red label - 05/30/18
The 28 ga Red Label was built on a smaller frame than the 20 ga so you would not be able to fit the former onto the latter at any practical price. I looked at having a set of barrels made for a Browning and the price for doing so was much greater than a new gun. I can only imagine what it would cost for an out of production gun, probably snout to stay in Jim Beam long enough to forget about such foolishness.
Posted By: battue Re: ruger red label - 05/30/18
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Well yea, that would be the easy way out, But Jim Beam and I got together and we started wondering "just how cool would it be to have a set of 28's to go with the 20?"

Jim and you should call Joel Etchen. He has more than one set of what you want in a Beretta. You will end up with money in your pocket, nicer wood by a landslide and Jim will be grinning.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: ruger red label - 05/30/18
Or, you could buy a 20 ga Beretta and then contact Rich Cole for a set of 28 ga barrels and a fitting. Not sure how much that would cost today but 15 years ago the barrels and fitting were less than a second field grade gun. I've been meaning to look into that for some 410 barrels for my wife's gun but we stopped competing and that fell by the wayside.

I'm not sure that would make Rich smile but putting a frown on his face for the next guy is always fun!
Posted By: passport Re: ruger red label - 05/30/18
Oh, didnt know JB was in on this! Lets find you a set of barrels!!!
You would be sooooo far ahead going this route, that it wouldn't be close to a race.

And you get a forend for each barrel.

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/sp3_2028_30in.html#.Ww7x96kh1-0

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/clays...chnoid%20article%20by%20bruce%20buck.pdf
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: ruger red label - 05/31/18
I knew the 28 was on a smaller frame the plot was to get a 20 that had been trashed and fit the monoblock to mine then drill out and sleeve it to fit 28 barrels, would give me something to doo when work was slow. Oh well it was just a thought !
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: ruger red label - 05/31/18
For a lot less money and quicker service, have Briley or maybe Kolar make a set if full length inserts for you barrels. You would end up with basically the same thing but cheaper. It's amazing how reasonable whiskey talk can be but when one sobers up they see how problematic that thought really is. Though it does provide plenty of Youtube fare before sobriety kicks in.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: ruger red label - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
For a lot less money and quicker service, have Briley or maybe Kolar make a set if full length inserts for you barrels. You would end up with basically the same thing but cheaper. It's amazing how reasonable whiskey talk can be but when one sobers up they see how problematic that thought really is. Though it does provide plenty of Youtube fare before sobriety kicks in.

Yup, the right answer here...
Posted By: battue Re: ruger red label - 06/01/18
Have seen many such examples, and even the LW full length inserts end up with having the balance of a loaded coal shovel. Which is why those who are serious have a carrier barrel used only for inserts if going that route.

May be ok if one is going to use the shotgun for clays only.
Posted By: dale06 Re: ruger red label - 06/09/18
Originally Posted by passport
Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze . I think your better off buying a whole gun

Yup, you will tie up a lot of cash building a set of barrels. Doubt that you will ever recover anything close to what you spend, if you want to sell some day.
I’d get a Beretta 28 ga over under, actually I did.
© 24hourcampfire