Home
Posted By: ThompsonJ BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/12/19
I'm wanting to put a scope on my bps 10. Been doing some research and not having much luck finding any mounts specifically for this gun. My thoughts are to buy a bps 12 mount, then drill and tap my receiver to fit it. Hoping to find someone somewhere who has messed with the 10 before I try this. Any input would be appreciated
Posted By: shooter42 Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/12/19
what you propose should work. when I was in business I drilled and tapped all shotguns for the weaver #62 base, it is for the Remington 760. Why? Because I had a jig for it that made the job efficient and there are several typed of mounts available for that model of Remington. never was asked to do the browning bps 10 gauge but did several in the smaller gauges.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/13/19
Is not the Marlin 336 base also a popular one to utilize on shotgun receivers ??

No matter which way you end up going...……………..getcha a scope with LOTS of eye relief !!!!! But, I reckon you already know that...………...
Posted By: ThompsonJ Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/13/19
Originally Posted by shooter42
what you propose should work. when I was in business I drilled and tapped all shotguns for the weaver #62 base, it is for the Remington 760. Why? Because I had a jig for it that made the job efficient and there are several typed of mounts available for that model of Remington. never was asked to do the browning bps 10 gauge but did several in the smaller gauges.

Several in the smaller gauges of the BPS?
I believe the 10 ga and the 12 ga 3.5" models used the same receiver in the BPS. Aimtech or some such are makes a saddle mount for the 3.5" BPS which might work with no drilling.

Otherwise, drilling and tapping holes on the top of the receiver is not difficult to do, the hard part is keeping them in line with the barrel. I've owned many rifles that were drilled and tapped by a "gunsmith" later on - the Millet adjustable bases became my friend if the gun did not recoil greatly.
Posted By: ThompsonJ Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I believe the 10 ga and the 12 ga 3.5" models used the same receiver in the BPS. Aimtech or some such are makes a saddle mount for the 3.5" BPS which might work with no drilling.

Otherwise, drilling and tapping holes on the top of the receiver is not difficult to do, the hard part is keeping them in line with the barrel. I've owned many rifles that were drilled and tapped by a "gunsmith" later on - the Millet adjustable bases became my friend if the gun did not recoil greatly.

I would much rather go that route, but haven't found any information saying they are the same
A quick search shows the early 3.5" 12 ga and the 10 ga were on the same frames. Sometime in the 90's the 3" BPS was redesigned to handle 3.5" shells. There has been at least one other design change in the 12 ga receiver since then but I am unsure if it had an impact on dimensions.

Since the 3.5" 12 ga now shares the same receiver size as the 3" model, I would look at mounts specifying 3.5" as it would be a reasonable guess that the trigger assembly pins spacing and receiver width would be similar with the 10 ga. I would call the scope mount manufacturer and ask to talk to someone in engineering or production and ask them what the difference between the 3" and 3.5" models. That would give a person a pretty big clue which/if a particular model of base will work. Often direct contact with a person will provide information quickly and easier than trying to find obscure information on the web.
Posted By: ThompsonJ Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
A quick search shows the early 3.5" 12 ga and the 10 ga were on the same frames. Sometime in the 90's the 3" BPS was redesigned to handle 3.5" shells. There has been at least one other design change in the 12 ga receiver since then but I am unsure if it had an impact on dimensions.

Since the 3.5" 12 ga now shares the same receiver size as the 3" model, I would look at mounts specifying 3.5" as it would be a reasonable guess that the trigger assembly pins spacing and receiver width would be similar with the 10 ga. I would call the scope mount manufacturer and ask to talk to someone in engineering or production and ask them what the difference between the 3" and 3.5" models. That would give a person a pretty big clue which/if a particular model of base will work. Often direct contact with a person will provide information quickly and easier than trying to find obscure information on the web.

For whatever reason I have 1994 in my head for changes on the BPS. My bps is late 80's. I emailed a company, they told me they thought the 10 gauge receiver was a little more beefier.
Posted By: shootem Re: BPS 10 gauge scope mount - 05/18/19
Get a scope with a very long eye relief. And tap for big screws on steel bases. If scope, bases and rings don't look sufficient for a 9 lb .458 WM figger out a Plan B.
© 24hourcampfire