Home
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Askins - 08/22/19
Col. Charles Askins wrote a book on shot gunning "The Shot gunning Book" printed by Bonanza press way back when. Anyone ever read it? on page 316 is a picture of his late father Major Askins holding his Browning Superposed, prolly the one that sits in Dirtfarmers vault now. Any wayit's an opinionated read but interesting. MB
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Askins - 08/22/19
This one?

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Askins - 08/23/19
No DF not the same pic,but the one you posted is better and is that the one or is there enough detail for you to tell? MB
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Askins - 08/23/19
The grain pattern on the gun the Major's holding and the one I have is a positive "finger print" so to speak. Check out the dark streak, light streak pattern and compare.

Besides, Browning factory letter shows it delivered to him in OK, 1932.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Askins - 08/23/19
Never doubted that for a minute DF. It's way cool...…….. Love the old long tang round knob Supers .MB
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Askins - 08/23/19
Yeah, I also like the rear positioned trigger, solid rib. It’s actually pretty light, handles like a dream.

The Major, being the highest paid gunwriter of his era and a shotgun guru, knew exactly what he wanted when he ordered this gun. It’s a grade 1, but wood quality is around grade IV. He was friends with the Browning’s: I’m sure they took good care of him. He did pay retail. Other than upgraded wood, no favors. He was that kinda guy.

DF
© 24hourcampfire