Home
Posted By: travis301 Beretta autos - 10/10/19
I’m leaning towards a Beretta auto for sport shooting. Primarily sporting clays and some occasional back yard trap. What are your guys thoughts/experiences with like the 391 series and maybe the newer 400 series. I’ve always had Remington shotguns but what I hear is the beretta line is superior. Thanks in advance. Travis
Posted By: lightning Re: Beretta autos - 10/10/19
Find a used 390 and thank me later.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
I’ve had one issue out of the 391 I bought in 2003 as my college graduation gift to myself. Used it as a loaner gun for a company event. It had shot multiple hundreds of rounds of the cheapest amp they could buy. It was filthy. I could tell the action was sticky. In a hurry to go hunting I didn’t clean it. First shot on a wild rooster it didn’t eject the shell so I didn’t get to shoot the second rooster.

Other than that I’ve had no issues.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
Having two 390s, I can’t recommend them any higher. They are absolutely fantastic shotguns. That said, I know the 391 is a very similar system. The forearm on the 391 is thinner, which a lot of folks tend to like. I don’t believe you can go wrong with either one. The A400 is a super soft shooter, but I hear the gas system is a bit more complex.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
When Beretta introduced the 391 model I felt the receiver was the ugliest shotgun Beretta ever produced. Obviously Beretta wanted a lighter slimmer profile receiver.

The 391 receiver has had some receiver cracking issues Beretta will not repair or warranty. The 390 model is close to perfection in an auto.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
The 391 has a good reputation, but I've never owned one since I needed to look no further than the 390,especially the one with the square receiver. Although I do like my benelli also.
Posted By: dian Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
Starting in May and through early September a friend and I shoot a round of sporting clays weekly.
He shoots an A400 in 20ga.
After shoulder surgery I needed something with minimal recoil. I purchased an 20 gauge A400 with KO.
After "breaking in" mine with a couple of boxes of high-brass shells as Beretta recommends I've had no failures of any kind. Shoot whatever ammo is cheapest. With 7/8 oz loads virtually no recoil.
Mine gets cleaned every week. Not particularly difficult. Unscrew the end cap and remove the bolt handle.
My shooting partner rarely cleans his. He too shoots whatever ammo is available. That I am aware of, he had one failure to feed and that was after, if I remember correctly, 1200 rounds.
Posted By: Tip926 Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
I have a 391 Sporting that has been shot over 150,000 times.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
A400

All will get you where you want to be, if you do your part!
Posted By: travis301 Re: Beretta autos - 10/11/19
Well I went with a 390st. It came with s trap marked barrel, 30”. Receiver does not say sport on it so I’m presuming somebody swapped barrels? I’ll try it out and see how goes. Couldn’t get myself to lay out the $1600-1700 for an xcel, yet. Thanks
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Beretta autos - 10/12/19
Excellent choice. You'll like it.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Beretta autos - 10/12/19
Yep, you’ll like it. I bet you end up buying another one too. Now go have fun with it!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Beretta autos - 10/13/19
First beretta auto I ever purchased was the 303.....dont know what I was thinking when I sold it.....390 is a very good recommendation.
Posted By: bluedot Re: Beretta autos - 10/14/19
I have 2-a400's and an a300, between my kids and son in laws, they have 5 more. They run flawless, easy to clean, i will run 3-4 cases of shells in between cleanings. Great shotguns, also very soft on the shoulder. If you need less recoil the
'kick off" works well.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Beretta autos - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by Tip926
I have a 391 Sporting that has been shot over 150,000 times.

Ya beat me. I’ve got ~80K Thru my 391 sporting. I change out springs every 5-10K. I’ve never hear of or experienced the previously mentioned received cracking. I can see it happening over time if the recoil spring was never changed.
Posted By: travis301 Re: Beretta autos - 10/18/19
I've been doing some internet research on the ST designation on these guns. I've seen a lot of theories what the ST means. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Beretta autos - 10/19/19
I have a 390, really like it.
If the safety was behind the trigger, and the carrier wasn't sharp, it
might be perfect.

P.S. I don't own a single gun I don't bitch about.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Beretta autos - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by travis301
I've been doing some internet research on the ST designation on these guns. I've seen a lot of theories what the ST means. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks

There seems to be no clear answer to the question. I've asked Rich Cole in addition to numerous reps and all the latter shrug their shoulders. Rich said something unprintable.

I lean toward "steel" for the fore end cap though"Super Target" is picked to place. The first 390 I bought was an early one with "ST" and thesteel cap. Later guns were similarly marked with the aluminum cap.
© 24hourcampfire