Home
Posted By: luv2safari Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/02/19
I found this on line for a great price. It's rock-solid tight with unmolested screws, perfectly indexed. The bores are excellent, and the triggers are smooth crisp and about 5 pounds. The bluing is a bit thin, but it has no rust or pitting. It has a broken butt plate that I'll replace with a thin pad, leather pad, or buffalo horn. The wood has no damage at the butt. It's the finest craftsmanship I've seen on a field grade gun.

It's a BUHAG gun from post-war East Germany. As a BUHAG it could have been made by any of about 50 small makers in Shul. It was proofed 2/1964. I had no idea as to which maker and was delighted to find it's a Kessler! He was one of the very best. I'll put on a slip-over pad for now, then add a pad this winter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: battue Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/02/19
Nice find. Barrels look long and lean, if so, it should be a natural pointer.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/02/19
Great! You found my birthday present!!!! I promise to act surprised when it gets here!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/03/19
I do not think I could shoot it with that much drop... I have seen some mighty nice shotguns come from there and bet it is beautifully made.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/03/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I do not think I could shoot it with that much drop... I have seen some mighty nice shotguns come from there and bet it is beautifully made.

Same. 30”? Still, nice lithe gun in modern steel is worth a trial trip around the block. For a price it can be overcome, anyway.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/04/19
28.5", Doc, and I've shot so many old European doubles and combos since age twelve that I can miss just as bad with those as with any more modern gun. crazy

Did that sound right? confused
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/04/19
Nice!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari
28.5", Doc, and I've shot so many old European doubles and combos since age twelve that I can miss just as bad with those as with any more modern gun. crazy

Did that sound right? confused

I know exactly how you feel!!!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/09/19
That's nice.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/10/19
Nice. These work well, if needed. For me they would be needed.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/comb-raising-kit-gun-cover-cheek-pad-weld-piece-riser
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Sleeper SXS 12 - 11/10/19
Thanks, Ed, but the drop is just right for me. It's the guns with little drop where I have problems.
© 24hourcampfire