Home
Posted By: davet Shotgun for the wife - 12/05/19
My wife has said that she would like a nice semi auto 20 gauge shotgun for Christmas. Doves and informal clay shooting would be the main uses.

The issue is that she is 5' 3".

I have been looking at the Franchi Affinity Catalyst. The length of pull is listed at 13-7/8", and 26" barrels. I'd prefer 24", but getting the stock fit is more important, imo.

Is there a better option in that price range of $850 or so?

I'm not much of a shotgun guy, so any advice is appreciated.

Posted By: kid0917 Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/05/19
I like 1100s, a nice LT 20 might do. $ to doughnuts, any CF member near you would loan out a likely prospect for her to try out.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/06/19
You should have plenty of room to cut down a wood stock of whatever make and model shotgun you wish. I would pick the gun based on being able to shim the stock as the vast majority of women need a higher comb than men. You might luck out not needing to shim the stock upward as cutting off some of the butt will typically raise the comb at least a little.

The Remington 1100 and 11/87 guns in 20 ga can have their stocks swapped out to the 740/742 rifle stock which will raise the comb too. There, you might have to remove a little wood from the comb but that is easier than adding. I learned that one from when Orvis and Remington combined to have a traveling shooting school.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/06/19
Remington makes a 1100 & 1187 in a compact youth Model with stock spacers. They are heavy, though.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/06/19
I have two franchi affinity 12s and a 20 and I am happy. Happy enough to get 3 for my own use.

They are light so that 26 inch barrel isn't a issue in my opinion.

Watch Randy Wakeman youtube reviews for other options.

But if she dont ike the 20 gauge Affinity... makes a good lightweight turkey gun.
Posted By: davet Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/06/19
Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping there was an option where I didn't have to cut the stock down on a Franchi, but we'll jump off of that bridge when we get there.

I will check out the Remingtons as well.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/06/19
I have a shotgun but before I agree, I need to the a picture of your wife!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😊
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

The Remington 1100 and 11/87 guns in 20 ga can have their stocks swapped out to the 740/742 rifle stock which will raise the comb too. There, you might have to remove a little wood from the comb but that is easier than adding..

Good to know! thanks for passing that along to us.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by davet
Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping there was an option where I didn't have to cut the stock down on a Franchi, but we'll jump off of that bridge when we get there.

I will check out the Remingtons as well.

I should have mentioned Franchi made a version called the compact that has adjustable length stocks via shims. Check it out in the accessory division. It may even be on the catalyst and not stated obviously.
Posted By: sl93z Re: Shotgun for the wife - 12/13/19
If your interested in some real arm candy, I have a first year Browning A5 Lt 20 with 3 barrels: Full, IC, and Skeet, all with vented ribs. It is in 95% condition with gold inlay in the engraving. Also has a very nice custom stock and forend in grade gazillion wood. I even have the original boxes the extra barrels came in and the 1959 Orvis genuine sheepskin lined case. The guy I got it from was 5'4" and had it custom fitted to him so it will be real close on your wife. It won't be in the $850 range but if your interested PM me and I'll send you some pics and stock dimensions.
© 24hourcampfire