Home
Posted By: TraderVic Beretta 686 - 12/23/19
[u][/u]Is the Beretta 686 a well made shotgun ? I've just handled one, a 20 ga w/26" barrels. Seems like a real sweet shotgun. Normally would be well above my reach, but I can get this gun (it is NIB) at a fairly decent price

Any opinions ?
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Berreta 686 - 12/23/19
Yes, great gun. The 26" barrels may account for the lower price.
Posted By: TraderVic Re: Berreta 686 - 12/23/19
Really, 28" barrels are more desirable ?
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
Originally Posted by TraderVic
Really, 28" barrels are more desirable ?

On the used market that has been my experience. Generally the 30" and 32" are listed higher, then the 28", with the 26" being the least expensive. That doesn't mean that you value them the same way, so buy the bbl length that makes sense for your use. Regardless, the 686 is a very nice O/U for the money.
Posted By: TraderVic Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
A LGS is closing, they have a Beretta 686, 20 ga w/26" barrels for $1500 + tax.
Posted By: passport Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
Beretta is a great gun that will beat you senseless.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
I find a 28 inch double is usually about as long as a 26 in auto or pump shotgun. 26 in a double feels to short for me (I am 6ft3) and seem to shoot longer barrels (28+) better. YMMV
Originally Posted by passport

Hmmm, for someone (like myself) "who is learning as I go", looking for a good sxs or o/u, what brands or models are good to look for ?
Posted By: battue Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
Don’t believe everything you read. For some people Berettas seem to recoil a lot. Others no. If so, it will be the light 12’s. Their sub-gauges are easy shooters. I’ve seen so many 1100’s fail I won’t touch them. Passport has had different experiences and raves on them.

You want a quality SxS or O/U give the good Spanish guns a look. AyA, Grulla, Ugartechea, etc.

Some nice Used Spanish shotguns in this mix.

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/used-shotguns-side-by-side.html
Thank you.

Merry Christmas to you all !

Hmmm, for someone (like myself) "who is learning as I go", looking for a good sxs or o/u, what brands or models are good to look for ?

Fit is king, but I find most guys find browning softer over beretta but ummv..

Go to your local club and go shoot some stuff, that will save you thousands in the long run unless you like to buy em and try em like me.

What’s your application? Trap, skeet, sporting, hunting?
A hunting gun that I'll likely use also for trap or clays, at this time anyway.
Going to pass on the Beretta.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19
good move IMO, $1500 would not do it for me either
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Berreta 686 - 12/24/19

It is all about fit... I have several and they are my favorite fitting O/U by a lot.

O/Us seem hard to give away right now, especially with fixed chokes, but all I have seen lately have been tempting because of the price. $1500 would not be tempting for me right now.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

It is all about fit... I have several and they are my favorite fitting O/U by a lot.

O/Us seem hard to give away right now, especially with fixed chokes, but all I have seen lately have been tempting because of the price. $1500 would not be tempting for me right now.

I bet I have seen well over a hundred go through fellow shooters I personally know over the years and all of them bitch about recoil. In the 90’s we all had 682 tube sets and most of us went to K-80 and the reason was recoil. All these guys know gun fit too.

Not to say they are not GREAT guns though
Posted By: mart Re: Berreta 686 - 12/25/19
The field 686's can be a little stout on the recoil with heavy target loads and geld loads, but they are generally light for their gauge. That being said I shot over 50,000 rounds of skeet and sporting clays with a 686, 28 inch 12 gauge Onyx. Tough gun and one of those I regret ever selling. I never found the recoil to be particularly bad but I didn't run heavy handicap loads in it either. Mostly one ounce loads. The same guns in 20 and 28 are nice to shoot. I have Beretta Blackwings in 12 and 20, both 28 inch. they were a 680 series forerunner to the 686 Onyx. I also have a 686 SP1 in 28 gauge and a White Wing Sporting 30 inch in 12 gauge. The White Wing Sporting is a heavier target gun and very comfortable to shoot. It has been my target gun for about ten years now.

You will have shot an awful lot if you ever wear out a Beretta 686. They are one tough gun.

I will say I find a 26 inch to be a bit choppy in an O/U and much prefer a 28 or 30 inch for a field gun. I do like a 26 inch in a pump and find my 26 inch Ithaca 37 Skeet 16 to be one of the best balanced guns I own. I shoot it as well as any of my O/U's. Some guys love the 26 inch doubles in heavy grouse cover.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Berreta 686 - 12/25/19
Been shooting a 686 for 20 years or so, mostly for clays, 12 bore. It ain't for sale. The recoil never bothered me but in the process of loading shells found it remarkably effective in the clays game with 7/8 oz shot loads. Worked on quail as well.....and a bag of shot went a little further down the road.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Berreta 686 - 01/27/20
My 686 Onyx recently decided to stop reliably firing one of the barrels. A quick internet search indicates this happens a fair amount of times with gun equipped with the inertia triggers.

Anyone know if Cole's does a complete conversion to a mechanical trigger or if they just modify the current inertia system to be more reliable? Their charge is $200.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: GF1 Re: Berreta 686 - 01/28/20
Something is out of whack with your trigger; I would simply get it fixed. There is nothing wrong with inertia triggers. Some of the greatest guns in the world have them (such as Perazzis; you’ll not find a better trigger).

Cole is a good place to turn. And I suspect Rich Cole will tell you the same thing.
Posted By: driggy Re: Berreta 686 - 01/28/20
Dinny

Have you taken the stock off and cleaned the internals. May just be gummed up a bit with dirty or old oil. I personally prefer mechanical, but like GF1 said, inertias are just as reliable as long as you do proper cleaning of the shotgun.
Posted By: mart Re: Berreta 686 - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by Dinny
My 686 Onyx recently decided to stop reliably firing one of the barrels. A quick internet search indicates this happens a fair amount of times with gun equipped with the inertia triggers.

Anyone know if Cole's does a complete conversion to a mechanical trigger or if they just modify the current inertia system to be more reliable? Their charge is $200.

Thanks, Dinny

As driggy said, a good cleaning will probably fix it. I had over 50,000 rounds through my first 686 and another 10,000 through my others (2-12's, a 20 and 28) and have never had a trigger issue with any of them.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Berreta 686 - 02/01/20
I removed the stock then soaked everything with Kroil for a good while then sprayed it all out with air. The next day I spoke to Pedro at Cole's. He said to fire ammo with a MV of 1250+ fps. I have three boxes that are rated for 1290fps and plan to hunt birds with them tomorrow. More to follow.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Berreta 686 - 02/01/20

Passport,

You sure you don't have the Beretta 686 confused with the Winchester 101 or Browning Superposed? (LOL)
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Berreta 686 - 02/01/20
A LGS is closing, they have a Beretta 686, 20 ga w/26" barrels for $1500 + tax.

I wouldn't "BUY" a 26 inch barrel anything for $1,000.00 much less $1,500. The trend for hunting O/U's is 28 inch or longer and clay shooting guns 32 inch. Following most shotgun forums for used clay target guns even 30 inch clay guns a much slower sellers than 32 inch guns.

Remember this, the longer than barrels the less lead is needed ahead of your target....hence the use and demand for longer barrels.

I have two Beretta 686 O/U target guns.....real workhorses.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Berreta 686 - 02/02/20
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Passport,

You sure you don't have the Beretta 686 confused with the Winchester 101 or Browning Superposed? (LOL)

I love my 686 20 gauge, but it kicks worse than my 12 gauge Browning Citori.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Berreta 686 - 02/02/20
My 12 bore 686 is a killer and a pussycat. It's not for sale.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Berreta 686 - 02/02/20
I had a 12 and 20 686 at one time. Both truly well made shotguns and a joy to carry, but they always had more felt recoil than any other shotgun I used. I kept the 20 gauge because it absolutely has the prettiest wood on it of any shotgun I have ever owned and I still like to carry it bird hunting on occasion. I got rid of the 12 gauge and got a Browning Citori to dove hunt with. I don't move around much dove hunting and the exra weight doesn't bother me in the Citori to dove hunt with.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Berreta 686 - 02/03/20
My 686 shot flawlessly yesterday after a good cleaning and a diet of anything flying 1250+fps.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Berreta 686 - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by Dinny
My 686 shot flawlessly yesterday after a good cleaning and a diet of anything flying 1250+fps.

Thanks, Dinny

You can check your second trigger to see if it will fire unloaded by slapping the butt stock with the palm of your hand. If the inertia trigger is working properly, this will reset it after firing the first barrel. I always do this with snap caps and than remove the forearm and take out the snap caps. The shotgun won't re-cock when opened with the forearm off. I don't like to store shotguns with the springs in the cocked position for any length of time.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Berreta 686 - 02/07/20
I have four gauges of Beretta 686. They’re used for hunting and informal sporting clays shooting. In my view, they are a great shotgun for the cost.
© 24hourcampfire