Home
Besides only being able to get the Winchester in 12 ga. is there much difference between the Winchester Mod 101 and the Browning Citori. The Winchester seems to be always less expensive.
I have a 101 in a 20 ga????
The 101 is a MUCH better gun than the Citori... Not quite the Superposed level, but very nice
You have an old 101. The new ones only come in 12.

New vs New: Browning
I like the 101's . but both are good quality guns, that with proper care will outlast most shooters life time. Of course you will always run across these fine used guns that were owned by a idiot, that thought slamming them closed, like the back door of an old Buick, has left the action sloppy loose, these I would avoid for obvious reasons.
Originally Posted by battue

What's better about the Browning?
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

They cost more ! smile
Both are good. Buy the one you like best.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Proven. The new 101 isn't the same as the old and is yet to be proven over the long run. The Citori will be in the Browning catalog for years and with limited sales the 101 may not. When it comes to resale it's Browning.
Winchesters tend to kick a little more because they are lighter. citori's are a tad heavier and have more rib, forearm dimensions, and choke options.
I like the wider forearm on the 101's, but I guess hand size would determine which one fits you better.

Nailed it
One of the guys I shoot with just bought a small frame Citori 28/20 with 32 inch tubes. VERY nice gun on all levels
My primary sporting clays gun is a Citori and I love it. For a field gun in 12 gauge, I would go new 101. Lighter and quicker handling. I had a 26" and 28" new 101 and really wish I would have kept the 28" gun.
I would suggest looking for a nice used Browning Superposed 12 gauge.
They can normally be bought for less then a new Browning Citori.
The Superposed 12 gauge is what I believe to be highly under valued in the used market.
A 410, 28, or 20 Superposed will set you back cash for sure! But, the 12 can usually be bought for a bargain if you are a little patient and shop!
Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Since you are "Just a Hunter" you likely won't be putting a high volume of shells through your shotgun. If that is the case, go with the lighter shotgun that fits you best "off the rack". I shoot a lot of rounds of skeet and some sporting clays and for that I use (and greatly prefer) Miroku/Browning shotguns (Browning Citori/Miroku Mk 38) which are the same shotguns. For hunting, where I carry them lots and shoot low volume of shells thru them, I have a Franchi Alcione 12 ga. The Franchi I purchased in the late 90s, because it was lighter than my Brownings, fit me very well, and has been trouble free. The Winchester should be fine for hunting and occasional clay shooting, assuming it fits you well. If high volume clay shooting is on the menu, the Browning would be the better choice. They are well engineered and built, have a proven performance record, parts are and will continue to be readily available if needed.
I always longed after one of the 101 multi barrel sets.
The old 101 is well known as a gun that puts recoil into the cheek. Had one, beautiful gun, well finished and real engraving, but got real tired of where the recoil was directed, real fast.
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I would suggest looking for a nice used Browning Superposed 12 gauge.
They can normally be bought for less then a new Browning Citori.
The Superposed 12 gauge is what I believe to be highly under valued in the used market.
A 410, 28, or 20 Superposed will set you back cash for sure! But, the 12 can usually be bought for a bargain if you are a little patient and shop!
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

I'll add:
Yesterday at a local gun show, a dealer had a very nice looking Browning Superposed 12 ga. 28" barrels Round knob short tang,
Almost new looking for $1400.00. Knowing the dealer, I'd bet there was a little room on the price. 10-15%?
Just an example of why I consider the Belgium made 12 gauge Superposed highly under valued.
© 24hourcampfire