Home
Posted By: ChuckKY 10 or 20 MOA Scope bases - 07/06/20
Does a 10 or 20 MOA scope base have any effect on a ballistic table as far as changing click values for a specific cartridge load and dope values? I think it doesn't, but can't quite convince myself the click values may not be the same with a an MOA base verses a parallel base. I don't have the time or patience to swap out bases and check for myself. I know someone here knows this one way or the other already. I've got a 20 MOA scope bases on a .22LR rifle that I like to shoot at 250 yds, when the wind isn't blowing, and my dope charts rarely work out for that rifle with several different brands of ammo that I shoot. I also have the same rifle, Ruger RPR, in .17HMR with a parallel scope base, and the dope charts are nearly spot on with it.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 10 or 20 MOA Scope bases - 07/06/20

I only use old B&L scopes with the adjustments in the bases.
Yes, it will certainly change your DOPE to switch between scope bases of differing inclination amounts.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: 10 or 20 MOA Scope bases - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yes, it will certainly change your DOPE to switch between scope bases of differing inclination amounts.

Jordan, what you are saying is that the same load, rifle and scope sighted in at a 150' zero with a 0 MOA scope base would require a different number of clicks and mil adjustment to go to 300' with a 10 MOA scope base even if both 0 and 10 MOA bases where sighted in at zero at 150' ? Will the 10 MOA base usually require fewer clicks than the 0 MOA scope base?
Posted By: 1minute Re: 10 or 20 MOA Scope bases - 07/07/20
Scope mechanics will remain the same, but ones elevation settings will of course change
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Jordan, what you are saying is that the same load, rifle and scope sighted in at a 150' zero with a 0 MOA scope base would require a different number of clicks and mil adjustment to go to 300' with a 10 MOA scope base even if both 0 and 10 MOA bases where sighted in at zero at 150' ? Will the 10 MOA base usually require fewer clicks than the 0 MOA scope base?

If you zero the scope at the same distance with both bases, then the only thing that will change is the remaining “up” in the erector after zeroing.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: 10 or 20 MOA Scope bases - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

If you zero the scope at the same distance with both bases, then the only thing that will change is the remaining “up” in the erector after zeroing.

That's what I kind of thought, but for some reason was having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Appreciate the replies to what may have been something I should of been able to figure out myself, just felt more confident with some more knowledgeable input.

Thanks, Chuck.
© 24hourcampfire