Home
Posted By: AZmark Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Have any of you "People of age" noticed that one scope vs another works better for focusing with old eyes?

For example, I've always used Leupold scopes but recently have found that I'm having a hard time focusing on the crosshairs. I don't need prescription glasses and just use 2.50x readers up close, my long range vision is good. I have to turn the eyepiece all the way out to get it close.

So what I found is that I can focus a lot better with a Swarovski Z3 scope. I havent tried any others so wanting to hear from you "olders".
Posted By: WAM Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
I don’t have any issues focusing crosshairs on my Burris, Leica, and Kahles scopes. Leuies not so bad once I get them tunes in. Happy Trails
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Most folks are CLUELESS,on how to set up bino's or a 'scope and it's very typically HILARIOUS,to watch the attempts!

Hint................
Posted By: kingston Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Most folks are CLUELESS,on how to set up bino's or a 'scope and it's very typically HILARIOUS,to watch the attempts!

Hint................

Before or after bolting them in Chinese made rings with plastic inserts?
Posted By: handwerk Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Now that I'm in my early 50's, my vision has changed quite a bit and I've grown to appreciate nicer optics, most of my scopes are either swaro, zeiss or Kahles.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Why don’t you try sending one of your Leupolds off to their custom shop and try a heavy Duplex? I have a heavy Duplex in my 1.5-5x20 Vari-X lll and there is no missing it. It is no target scope, but it sure is visible. That would be cheaper than replacing the scope. Or if your vision has changed maybe try readjusting the focus of the crosshair. Another option would be to opt for a scope with a first plane reticle because It looks like the crosshair gets larger as the power is increased. Actually it covers the same amount at any power setting only that it appears heavier.
Posted By: erich Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Do you think it might be time to see a GOOD eye doctor? I'm 73 have had double cataract surgery and was so near sighted before the cataract surgery that without my coke bottle glasses I was legally blind. I can now hunt and drive without glasses but need them to reed. The only thing I can't do is shoot a peep sight any more as I can't focus close enough to even tell there is an opening in the sight, it is just a fuzzy blob. I can see it with low power reading glasses but then the it is hard to see the target. All scopes work just fine for me.

It is hard to tell when your eyesight is failing when it changes in small amounts. When I was near sighted it always amazed me how little branches appeared in the trees when I got a new prescription. I never noticed them slowly disappearing as my eyesight got worse.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Newer scopes seem to have more threads for the eyepiece than older ones, hence more adjustment on tap. I can get all of them I'm using focused so I don't need glasses to shoot with them, but the older ones are perilously close to the end. Scopes with the Euro-style eyepiece are better, I think.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint................

Before or after bolting them in Chinese made rings with plastic inserts?

He will be here all week folks......
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by AZmark
so wanting to hear from you "olders".

Buy optics labeled as HD
Posted By: BillyE Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
I have nothing constructive to say. I’ll still offer my input that everyone else is STUPID and INCOMPETENT. Hint....

LAUGHING!?!
Posted By: AZmark Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
thanks for the replies.............................I've been around guns and have done minor gunsmithing for many years....So I do know how to adjust the focus on my scopes...dont mount them in cheap China rings....and know how to adjust my binocs. Thats why I mentioned that my Leupold eyepieces were screwed out to the max.

Been to an eye Dr also....He half heartedly recommended laser correction on my shooting eye (right) but havent opted to go there yet.

Just hoping that someone had done some research already..

Posted By: utah708 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Switching to zeiss (both Diavari and Conquest) rather than Leupold helped me. My aging eyes can't resolve complicated MOA/mildot/stadia line reticles very well, particularly in poor light, so I stay with duplex.

Also extremely nearsighted; I have gone in three times over the years to see if if I can get laser surgery, but I am not a suitable candidate.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
I'm 63 years old, use 1.5X readers up close and have used vintage Leupolds, Redfields and Burris scopes. Somewhat of a pain to loosen the lock ring and adjust the focus on the eyepiece as my vision has changed. The last 3-4 scopes I've bought, Bushnell Trophy XLTs, have all had the "fast focus" eyepiece which is pretty slick.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
try to find an eye doc who is a shooter. had the same problem before i got glasses thought i was going to have the eyepiece fall off i had backed it of so far. got spec's and what do you know had to screw eyepiece back in where factory ha d put it.

Ed
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
I am a very near-sighted 73. I had to give up on my Leupolds about 10 years ago as I was running the eyepiece out to its maximum adjustment without being fully in focus. I need a fast focus eyepiece.

In the last couple of years, I can't maintain the fine inner lines on the German #4 reticles in focus. I also can't focus most red dot sights. I mentioned it to my optometrist. He said the problem was probably astigmatism.

I have found that I need a very dark and well defined reticle. On one brand, I replaced my German No. 4 reticles with German No. 1, which stay in focus for me but are really hard to find.

I find the T-plex reticle on the Tract Toric easy to focus and stay focus. The original Zeiss Conquest Z-Plex and No. 4 reticles were very good in this regard. I had a GPO Passion 3-9x40 for a short while (one of my nephew's daughters needed a new scope) which had a very clear and well defined reticle.

Good luck,

GrimJim
Posted By: Windfall Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
Another vote for the Zeiss Diavari 30 mm tube scope as a 1.5-6x42 is my favorite and first plane reticle, but another thought occurs to me. I was at the range this week shooting my .22 that has a Leupold 3-9x33 AO rimfire scope on it and everything was clear as a bell at the 10 yard red squirrel range that it is sighted for. Then I moved the target out to 50 yards and that crosshair fuzzed out. A quick twist of that AO ring and everything was clear again. Maybe if you can’t get enough adjustment out of the ocular lens, an adjustable parallax objective scope might help. I’m far sighted and don’t wear glasses so I’m just guessing.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/24/20
In my experience a quick-focus eyepiece, or side-parallax adjustment or A.O., helps older hunters more than a specific brand.

The problem is related more to the more limited ability for older eyes to change focus than anything else. Adjusting the focus quickly, by whatever means, makes far more difference.
Posted By: JGray Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/25/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience a quick-focus eyepiece, or side-parallax adjustment or A.O., helps older hunters more than a specific brand.

The problem is related more to the more limited ability for older eyes to change focus than anything else. Adjusting the focus quickly, by whatever means, makes far more difference.

I've also found the quick focus eye piece to work better for me after I had to start wearing glasses, bifocals and now trifocals...
https://healthy-ojas.com/eye/eye-exercises-tibetan.html

http://www.i-see.org/gottlieb/presbyopia_chart.pdf

Start doing these, practice with your rifle ghost rings and focus on your front handgun sight every day. In about three months you’ll be seeing like a 39 year old and after a year a 25 year old.

If you don’t use your feet, knees, and pecker, you will lose it too.
Posted By: hanco Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/25/20
The side focus models are very nice for us older people.
Have any of you "People of age" noticed that one scope vs another works better for focusing with old eyes?

For example, I've always used Leupold scopes but recently have found that I'm having a hard time focusing on the crosshairs. I don't need prescription glasses and just use 2.50x readers up close, my long range vision is good. I have to turn the eyepiece all the way out to get it close.

So what I found is that I can focus a lot better with a Swarovski Z3 scope. I havent tried any others so wanting to hear from you "olders".

As people age, there are a physiognomic changes that occur with the eyes. For reference, 65 is in my rearview mirror. As my screen name on here says, I compete in F-class competition and so I spend a great deal of time looking through my riflescope at a very specific target. I got one of the best high-magnification riflescopes on the planet 7 years ago and with it I specified a very thin reticle. That worked really well for me for several years but about 3 years ago, I started having problems seeing the reticle, especially the tiny dot in the middle. I arranged for the manufacturer to swap the reticle with one that has double the thickness. That made a world of difference. Earlier this year, I acquired what is arguably the very best high-magnification SFP scope and made sure it has the thicker reticle. It is pure joy to look through it. Crisp, clear and the IQ is magnificent.

Now, let's talk adjustments. All riflescopes of any worth have some type of adjustment for the ocular lens, which is usually referred to as a diopter adjustment. One has to understand that the ocular lens is an afocal optics which essentially means that the image is focused on your retina by your eye. So it is important to focus the image produced at the back of the erector tube (second focal plane) to your eye. This is accomplished using the diopter adjustment. All riflescopes seem to have a diopter range of about +2 to -2 or -3, or some such. Some have "fast focus" adjustment, others are much more precise. Either way, the range is essentially the same. Most riflescope makers will ship a new scope with the diopter set at -0.5. That's appropriate for normal vision, people who do not usually need corrective lenses. I have to adjust the diopter of the riflescope to match my prescription for reading. It's built into my bifocal glasses, but I know that mine is currently +1.5 in my right eye, but I'm not using that when I shoot. What most people seem to forget is that when you look through tour scope with your bifocals, you are not looking through the area in your glasses which are set for reading (the bottom of your glasses), you're actually looking through the top of your glasses and if you are and older geezer like me, you need some type of cheaters or bifocals to read. You're not using that portion of your glasses when looking through a riflescope. You have to adjust the diopter.

For the vast majority of people, their prescription changes very slowly over time. So what you do is adjust the diopter of the ocular to your eye once and you leave it alone for a long time, until your prescription changes a few years down the road. If you are fiddling with the ocular as a matter of course, you should remove the riflescope from your rifle and sell it because you do not know how to use it and you are just embarrassing yourself.

I am not a fan of fast-focus ocular because that only invites people to mess with it, but it can be handy if you lend your rifle to other people.

Now, once you have the ocular set so that you have a crisp clear picture of the reticle, the rest of the image is adjusted with either an adjustable objective at the front of the riflescope or the side focus knob. The principle of operation in these two mechanism is different but the goal remains the same, focus the objective image properly on the focal plane of the reticle.

An AO is less complicated, cheaper and usually more precise, but a side focus is easier to use. I have both types among my scopes and my match rifle has a side focus. It's important to learn how to use it, but let me say this, if you are messing with both the ocular and the side focus, you have issues and need to fix that.

Now for the comment about looking for "HD" in the lenses. That comment should be ignored and the one who perpetrated it should be chastised bitterly.

HD is simply not a thing, it is what is commonly referred to as "marketing fluff."

There is one type of glass that has made its way into the riflescope world starting about 13 years when March scopes introduced ED (Extra low Dispersion) glass in its riflescopes. Other manufacturers copied the move over time, but it's important to know what ED glass does for you and how to even recognize it. It makes the IQ much better, but it does not make it easier for older geezers, it does nothing for focusing on the reticle.
and just what kind of bitter chastization do you recommend?
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/26/20
never understood how a half blind man can see better with an expensive scope. I am nearsighted put on my glasses and have 20/20 vision. $100 dollar chinese scopes crystal clear some even without my glasses I am 68. I think these old guys that say they see better with expensive scopes woulda bought them when they were 18 if they had the money
I don't know if old eyes have anything to do with it, but I recently bit the bullet and bought a Tract Toric UHD 2-10x42. When comparing it to my Leupold VX-2 and 3 I could see the target much better with the Tract.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/26/20
Don't know if I qualify as an old geezer or not but I am pushing 81 and have self qualified and self identified as an old curmudgeon. Gotta say the Leupold scopes I have on my rifles sure do work well and with my glasses on. They need adjusting every couple of years but I like to adjust them each spring. I do usually remove the glasses when I am watching deer through the binoculars.
Jim
Originally Posted by Rug3
Don't know if I qualify as an old geezer or not but I am pushing 81 and have self qualified and self identified as an old curmudgeon. Gotta say the Leupold scopes I have on my rifles sure do work well and with my glasses on. I do usually remove the glasses when I am watching deer through the binoculars.
Jim

you old coot lol. God bless you. there are a lot of ways to die before 81
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I don't know if old eyes have anything to do with it, but I recently bit the bullet and bought a Tract Toric UHD 2-10x42. When comparing it to my Leupold VX-2 and 3 I could see the target much better with the Tract.

that is an excellent scope. even a young guy would see some more detail
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/26/20
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by Rug3
Don't know if I qualify as an old geezer or not but I am pushing 81 and have self qualified and self identified as an old curmudgeon. Gotta say the Leupold scopes I have on my rifles sure do work well and with my glasses on. I do usually remove the glasses when I am watching deer through the binoculars.
Jim

you old coot lol. God bless you. there are a lot of ways to die before 81

Sure are,, I've experienced several and it's His blessings that have sustained me!.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

An excellent question to which I gave a lot of thought. For the completely misleading and useful-content-free post, StrayDog should be subjected to reading similar posts only. So I suggest that for the next 2 weeks, StrayDog can only read posts from Big Stick.

I know, I know, it's very cruel and somewhat unusual but one has to work with what's at hand.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/26/20
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
never understood how a half blind man can see better with an expensive scope. I am nearsighted put on my glasses and have 20/20 vision. $100 dollar chinese scopes crystal clear some even without my glasses I am 68. I think these old guys that say they see better with expensive scopes woulda bought them when they were 18 if they had the money

I guess youre not reading the content here ds.......When I was 18 and using Leupolds I wasnt turning the eye piece focus all the way out and still needing more focus, now I am. Has nothing to do with expense and expense has nothing to do with focus.
I guess youre not reading the content here ds.......When I was 18 and using Leupolds I wasnt turning the eye piece focus all the way out and still needing more focus, now I am. Has nothing to do with expense and expense has nothing to do with focus.

As I explained earlier, the vast majority of riflescopes have an adjustment range of about +2 to -2 or -3 or similar diopter. Can I ask what your prescription is? What kind of cheaters are you using to read?

ETA: I went back to the OP and saw that you mention +2.5 readers. That may be beyond the range of adjustment for most riflescopes. Have you tried using the cheaters while looking through the riflescope?
Posted By: AZmark Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/26/20
FTR Thanks for the useful input..... Yep I'm using 2.5x cheaters and my distance vision is great...Does diopter relate to what cheater glasses you need for close up reading?

I have tried using my cheaters with my scope and that does allow me to focus the crosshairs just fine but then the target becomes blurry.

I guess I could try the cheap $100 Chinese scopes like SPQR70AD suggests but then the first night out in the cold truck and in or wet weather I wouldnt be able to see through it due to fogging. But if my only shooting was on sunny days at the range I guess Chinese scopes would be just fine.
Yes. The cheaters that you buy at the store are rated by diopter settings, not magnification. So your 2.5X is actually a +2.5 diopter. When you can't see far, the prescription will be in negative territory. For instance my distance prescription is -1.5 but i need a +1.5 to read, hence the bifocals; negative on top, positive at the bottom.

I believe, the numbers are cumulative, so when you wear cheaters and look through them into the riflescope, you should get the extra diopters and be able to focus. Of course you can't see crap outside the scope. You mentioned that you were able to focus one scope. It probably has a wider diopter adjustment range in its ocular.

You might consider getting very weak cheaters to see if you can reach the proper focus turned at max, and still not be too blurry fir distance, or knock out the left lens.

You might research getting an add-on lens at the ocular to increase the diopter correction.

I'll check a few places to see if there's a solution for you.
Posted By: cdb Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/27/20

I have the exact opposite issue. I just flat out don’t see well through Swarovski and see great through Leupold. And I’m not denigrating Swarovski, I know they make excellent product.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/27/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience a quick-focus eyepiece, or side-parallax adjustment or A.O., helps wothhunters more than a specific brand.

Bingo! You hit that on the head. I've got several Leupolds and Several Nikons. Three of the Nikons have Side Parallax adjustments and one Leupold has side adjustment and another Leupold has an adjustable Objective. I think they both do the same thing. But those 5 scopes make it easy to keep them in focus. I've got 4 Leupold VX-3is without parallax adjustment and I have to play with my occular lens some to stay in focus. I'm 72 and it's not as easy to compensate for my old eyes without it. Any new scopes I buy, especially variables, I will require some sort of Parallax adjustment, whether it be side adjustment knob or AO, I don't really care.

As for different brands, as far as I can tell I see about the same through all of my scopes regardless of brand. I sometimes have focus issues with any scope regardless of brand. That's called age.
Originally Posted by cdb

I have the exact opposite issue. I just flat out don’t see well through Swarovski and see great through Leupold. And I’m not denigrating Swarovski, I know they make excellent product.

This thread should really be the avatar for the saying "all eyes are different."
It's one of the things the riflescope makers have to contend with, trying to make their products usable by everyone, or at least a large section of the market. But like all such things, different people will have different experiences using them.

I believe the OP's problem with his Leupold is that his close up vision needs +2.5 diopters of correction and the Leupold probably has a maximum of +2 diopters of adjustments in the ocular lens. So stretching it to the limit gets the OP close to focus, but not there, not and thus not crisp. On the other hand, the OP says that he can get a crisp reticle image with the Swarovski, which would lead one to believe the Swaro has a wider range of adjustment than the Leupold.

Now we get more empirical data from you saying that you have observed the exact opposite. Would you be so kind as to let us know which exact models of riflescopes you are talking about and what your near vision prescription adjustment is. From that, we can try to see what's what, so to speak.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/27/20
FTR

Good information. When adjusting a scope I focus or correct for paralax first and then adjust the ocular or diopter lense. Am I doing this backwards? It is the opposite order from what you described.

My solution especially for low light is to go to a bolder recticle like the German #4 or heavy duplex.
Originally Posted by Tejano
FTR

Good information. When adjusting a scope I focus or correct for paralax first and then adjust the ocular or diopter lense. Am I doing this backwards? It is the opposite order from what you described.

My solution especially for low light is to go to a bolder recticle like the German #4 or heavy duplex.

You are doing it in the reverse order. Let me explain. The scopes function is to present to the eye an image where the target and the reticle are merged into the same focal plane. The one thing that doesn't change, or just rarely as your eye changes is the focus setting for the reticle. As I explained earlier, that portion of the riflescope is afocal, which essentially means the image coming from the ocular lens is not focused but rather the light rays are parallel and the eye itself will focus the image on the retina. So adjusting the diopter setting for the ocular is something that you do once to allow for the correction needed by your eye to see objects up close remembering that the merged image of the target and the reticle is just a few inches in front of you.

So you should ALWAYS adjust the ocular diopter setting to get the best, crispest image of the reticle and then leave it there. Don't touch it again unless your close vision prescription changes.

Now, once that is set, you use the parallax adjustment, which is really just a fancy term for "focus" so that you get the best, clearest image of the target. As we all know, the distance to the target can vary a lot and for that, we have either and AO, a side focus, or the manufacturer has chosen to set the focus at a distance that will fall nicely into the depth of field of the scope and thus present an pretty clear image at all distances.

Once the ocular is set, you should only ever play with the side focus. If you actually believe that you can only get the best image by combining adjustments between the ocular and the side focus (or AO), you should immediately return the scope to the manufacturer as it is defective.
AZmark, I'm in my mid-60's and need glasses but get by with 2.75 readers. My problem is, the cross hairs on most scopes today are too fine for old eyes like mine. Hard to pick up deer's vitals, in dim light, against wooded background. Okay in bright daylight in a field. I messed around with half a dozen scopes until I happened upon the Weaver Classics, V7 and V10. The reticle has your normal bold outer hairs, but it has a smaller, bolder crosshair than anything I've seen, other than muzzleloader or shotgun scopes. It has really made a difference for me in the deep dark woods. Unfortunately, Weaver has been bought out by the company that makes Bushnells and Simmons (scopes I do not care for). They're all bought up now, but you can find one here and there on E-bay.
Posted By: cdb Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/28/20
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Now we get more empirical data from you saying that you have observed the exact opposite. Would you be so kind as to let us know which exact models of riflescopes you are talking about and what your near vision prescription adjustment is. From that, we can try to see what's what, so to speak.

I worked the gun counter part-time at the Fort Worth Cabela’s from 2014-2016. The full range of Swarovski and Leupold scopes were carried. I looked through them all the time. Since I don’t see well through them I don’t remember the Swarovski models well other than the low end was Z3 and it went up to Z5 or 6 if I remember correctly. I could see better with VX-2 and above than with any of the Swarovski’s. The image was always just a smidge blurry with Swarovski. As already stated I know Swarovski makes excellent scopes so I know it was my eyes.

I have no idea what my near vision prescription is. I can say I’m 61, wear trifocals and don’t need glasses to read. I also have severe astigmatism. Didn’t need corrective lens to pass the driver’s license test until I was in my late 30’s. I also learned by accident four or five years ago that I see better without my glasses when using a scope.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/28/20
Lots of good info here so far...Hopefully it keeps going......Thanks to FTR for leading the pack .

Looks like I'm going to be trying some side focus or AO scopes, none of which I've tried in the past.

I'm semi-retired and started to get into shooting a whole lot more than I've been in the past, but now that I've got the time my eyes went to hell.....

Also looks like I'm going to have about 8-10 Leupold scopes up for sale.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/28/20
Thanks for the clear explanation on focusing. I was doing it Bassackward and also doing a combination of focusing on the reticle and the target both.

AZmark - Some places will take trade ins but I prefer to deal with Camerland, but you might ask Doug anyway.

I am very impressed with the 6X Meopta Meostar with German #4 it is sharper than the Variable Meostar I also purchased recently. Worth a look but no AO until you go to the 14x. Some of the 10x Meopta's have side focus I believe.

Another item that comes with age is eye fatigue, I only wear the 0.5 or 1X reading glasses but when I have been shooting for awhile my visual acuity starts to fade to the point it is more difficult to focus a scope. If I am going to shoot several rifles I now do any adjustments first thing if I have new scopes along.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/28/20
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

An excellent question to which I gave a lot of thought. For the completely misleading and useful-content-free post, StrayDog should be subjected to reading similar posts only. So I suggest that for the next 2 weeks, StrayDog can only read posts from Big Stick.

I know, I know, it's very cruel and somewhat unusual but one has to work with what's at hand.

FTR
No, not that, anything but reading only Big Stick posts, though he sometimes does give some experience related info I'm able to filter.

AZmark
My 75 year old eyes are happy to enjoy the view through my Zeiss Conquest HD binocs. and rifle scopes. I'm also happy to be putting money toward hunting rather than buying any more disappointing optics.
@StrayDog, I think we can cut you some slack. The punishment was way too excessive.

Tejano brings up a good point, and you even allude to it a bit in your reply to AZmark. Let's talk old eyes and enjoying the view through some optics and how that can be managed.

As I explained oftentimes in the past, I am an F-class competitor and as such I spend an inordinate amount of time looking through optics during a match.
I (try to) read the conditions through a combination of my riflescope and my spotting scope. and eye fatigue is a real thing that you have to deal with.

The first step is of course, to get the very best optics you can afford. If you spend a lot of time looking through optics. any kind of optics, lousy optics will give you eyestrain, or eye fatigue. On the other hand, something with excellent IQ is a joy to look through, as AZmark is saying. This is where quality will make a difference.

Now, if you just use the riflescope to quickly aim and shoot, you don't experience eye fatigue or strain; there's just no time for that.

Even with top quality optics, there are things that you can do to further reduce eye fatigue, and here are a few tricks I use in competition where I will be looking through optics for up to 30 continuous minutes at a time.

1- Do not become fixated on the center of the reticle, let your eye roam around the image that the optics is bringing to your eye.
2- Only focus solidly on the reticle when you are going to take the shot.
3- Don't stay focused for more than a few seconds. If you don't take the shot, let your eye roam around the image.

With these little things, I can stay glued to me riflescope as long as needed. I use my spotting scope to get a wider view of the conditions but sometimes, I will eschew the use of the spotting scope and will just go with the riflescope.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Scope brands vs old eyes - 07/29/20
+1on the Bushnell fast focus eye piece. I find my distance vision getting better but close up getting worse. Told my optometrist I either needed new glasses or longer arms.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Why don’t you try sending one of your Leupolds off to their custom shop and try a heavy Duplex? I have a heavy Duplex in my 1.5-5x20 Vari-X lll and there is no missing it. It is no target scope, but it sure is visible. That would be cheaper than replacing the scope. Or if your vision has changed maybe try readjusting the focus of the crosshair. Another option would be to opt for a scope with a first plane reticle because It looks like the crosshair gets larger as the power is increased. Actually it covers the same amount at any power setting only that it appears heavier.

I don't believe Leupold is operating their custom shop right now.
Every eye is different. Read the directions on how to adjust what ever brand you have. Some brands just don’t work for some eyes. For me the elite bushnells are as clear as anything else I’ve tried especially on higher power
© 24hourcampfire