Home
Got a Kimber classic in 6.5 creedmoor. Weighs in at 5lb 13 3/8 oz. I'd like to keep it relatively light and thinking of a few scopes
I've used leupy 2.5-8x36 and think that or something like it would be great on this rifle.
Heard good things about some vortex scopes, buddy recommended a swarovski z3 3-10x42 with the BRH reticle. Also see a 3-9x36, but not in the BRH reticle, which might be nice on an antelope gun where some shots can get a little further.

What else should I be looking at? If Vortex, what scope?

Thinking she'll wear Talley xlow or something similar so I can keep it nice and sleek.

Thanks for critique of rings and feedback on scope suggestions.
I appreciate it,as will my 9 year old, for whom the gun was bought as they share the name.
Careful on ring height. I put low Talley QDs with a Leupold 2.5-8x on an 84M, and they were too low. Looked great, but the scope was too low...I really had to push my cheek into the stock to see through the scope. Switched to mediums, work great with a firm cheek weld.
Having a hard time imagineing anything but Talley Lightweights on that rifle. Peas and carrots. With a Leupold 2-5-8x36 already in hand personally I would look no further for scopes. Unless you really need (want) a type of hold over reticle, I would just use the Leupold at hand. For right height for said rifle, mount, scope combination I would just call Talley for advice. Good luck.
I will echo 300 savage. My Classic Selects in 257 Roberts and 7mm-08 both wear Leupold 2.5-8x36 scopes in Talley Lightweight mediums.

They are a perfect match for these rifles IMHO.
If the rifle is being scoped for a 9 year old consider their check weld/focal plane will be lower than an adults. Nice rifle choice by the way.
I have the same rifle. VX3 2.5-8X36 Leupold and Talley lightweight ring mounts in low. It's perfect for me. Several of my other Kimbers use the same rings, Talley lows and Leupold VX2 2-7X33.
f you can find one of the little Kahles 2-7x36mm like I have on a Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless in 338 Federal (Originally bought to rechamber to 260 Rem but it was so excellent I didn't)
I have a Weaver 2-8x36 Grand Slam on my Kimber Classic Select 257 Roberts and it works well for me. If you're scope shopping, I have an identical Weaver 2-8 in like new condition with no rifle to put it on and would part with it.
One of my sons was sort of ADD with variable scopes and would be adjusting it when he should have been aiming instead. On his rifle I put a 6x36 Leupold on and cured that issue. I have them and the 2.5-8x on several light rifles. The Leupold is ideal but if you just want to get another scope the Swarovsky Z3 3-9 is a good light scope, but the Leupold may be more durable if you are not twisting turrets. Not sure if they have the reticle you want but they do have hold over options. I would order low and extra low rings directly from Talley, ask if you can pay up front for a return shipping label, then try them both and see which is the better fit. Tally has good customer service so there shouldn't be an issue on returning one set.
I've got the SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 on that exact same rifle in Talleys. Works like a champ.
I had a Leupold VXII 2-7x 33mm LRD in low TLWS on mine and it worked well.
Originally Posted by sigguy
I've got the SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 on that exact same rifle in Talleys. Works like a champ.

This is a good direction to lean.
Originally Posted by sigguy

I have this set up on a Barrett and have been pleased with it. Sighting it in sure was easy.

Kahles AH 2X7 TDS or if you want more XXX Kahles 3X9 AH TDS.

In S&K projectionless rings.

Class with function.
The Swaro with the BRH aounds great to me. I am extremely happy with mine. Sako 85 Hunter with unusually good wood. Swaro sits on top of her like it was designed for it. IMHO
Fixed 6x42 Leupold's w/M-1 ele turrets in Talley lightweight Lows on my 243 and 7-08 Montanas. Leupold 4-12x40 no-A/O in Talley lightweight lows on my 223 Rem Montana.

The 6x42 gives newer shooters a LOT of forgiveness regarding eye box FWIW.
Originally Posted by cisco1

Kahles AH 2X7 TDS or if you want more XXX Kahles 3X9 AH TDS.

In S&K projectionless rings.

Class with function.

Those scopes are really nice.
If Swaro is in your price range, it is hard to go wrong with one of the Z3 scopes on a lightweight gun like that.

ILya
A used Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm no longer in production, but if wanting new their 3-12x44mm.

Phil
Leupold VX -3 2-8 x 36 with the duplex reticle.
Originally Posted by koshkin
If Swaro is in your price range, it is hard to go wrong with one of the Z3 scopes on a lightweight gun like that.

ILya

ILya,
Do you know if SWFA is still pursuing a mill quad reticle in the ultralight?
I’ve got a VX3 2.5-8x36 on an 84M Roberts, and VX3i 3.5-10x40s on a pair of 84Ls in 280 AI and 30-06 all in Talley LW Lows. For me, the Talleys are perfect.
Ive got a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on an 84M classic 308, Kahles AH 3-9x42 TDS on a 84M 257 Roberts Classic Select, and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle on an 84M 260 Rem Montana. Out of all, I prefer the Kahles the best. All are mounted in Talley Lightweight lows.
I’ve got that 2.5-8x36 leupy that I suspect deserves a home. If you had to choose a reticle, what would it be?
Mines the duplex and I’m thinking something with hashmarks might be helpful for longer range antelope or deer or target fun.
Thanks
If you want holdovers, I'd look at the Trijicon AccuPower 3-9 in with a Mil-Square reticle. I have 3 of them and they are great hunting scopes.

https://www.sportoptics.com/trijicon-accupower-1900011.aspx
Originally Posted by JonS
I’ve got that 2.5-8x36 leupy that I suspect deserves a home. If you had to choose a reticle, what would it be?
Mines the duplex and I’m thinking something with hashmarks might be helpful for longer range antelope or deer or target fun.
Thanks

Jon, send it to Leupold and have a B&C reticle installed.

I've got a couple of those, great scopes and ideal for the rifle.
I've got a meopro 3.5-10x44 on the exact same rifle and I like it.

I was wanting to keep the objective in the 38-36 range but I also wanted the illuminated dot so thats what pushed me to the Meopta.

If I didn't have the meopro I think i'd either have the Maven 2-10x38 or the SWFA 2.5-10x32
Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T 1-3x14 w/ A.R.M.S #12 Mount, Illuminated Circle Dot Reticle 
© 24hourcampfire