Home
Looking to buy a 3-9x50. powdr
Are you asking what do they compare to in the past versions of Leupold or to other scope manufacturers 3-9x50's? If you are referring to the past versions of Leupolds they seem to me to compare to the VX-2 line, I have a few of each and can tell no difference at all in lens quality.

drover
The ones I’ve looked through were VX2 quality. Not the best out there but very serviceable and a good value.
I have a VX-1 made in 02 and my Vx-Freedom is lots more clearer than it. I'm getting ready to buy a couple more.
A pile of steaming chit
Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. Sorry Bob, it appears you're having a bad day. powdr
Just ordered a 3-9 VX-F 30mm tube 3-9x40 with Firedot for $300 from Castle Arms. Good to see they are offering the firedot in many newer models. That's what I missed when the VX-R line got dropped.
Originally Posted by KenMi
Just ordered a 3-9 VX-F 30mm tube 3-9x40 with Firedot for $300 from Castle Arms. Good to see they are offering the firedot in many newer models. That's what I missed when the VX-R line got dropped.

I haven't looked through a VX-Freedom yet, but if it compares with a VX-2 It's a good scope. I can hardly tell much difference between a VX-2 and any VX-3 I own. VX-1s were the old VARI X IIs. They're ok and I have owned several but the glass is not of VX-2 quality.
I think a VX-2 is closer to a VX-3 than a VX-1 is to a VX-2 in my opinion. The VX-1 is supposedly 87% light transfer, the VX-2 is 92. The old VX-3s were around 98% or so they claim.
I have a 3-9X40 and a 4-14X40. Both are as clear as the VX-2's. Too soon to say anything about how well they'll hold up.

If someone can use a 3-9X40 Cabelas is now carrying the Meopta scope again. I've been very pleased with these and think they are the best buy out there. A little more expensive than the VX-Freedom, but worth it to me.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-instinct-hd-rifle-scope
If the Freedom is as good as the VX-2, which is close to the VX-3, which is close to the Meopro/Instinct, there is easily enough optical separation for me to spend another $50 for the Meopta. Add to that the fact that Meopta made scopes have functioned better for me than Leupolds (VX-3's) and it is not a hard decision to make.

In my experience, the list of scopes in the sub $500 category that compete with the Meopro and its variants is very small. None of the scopes on that list are made in the USA other than the extinct Minox HD scopes.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
A pile of steaming chit

AGREED !!!
I'm somewhat torn. The first one I got was a problem. It was a 3-9X40 rimfire scope. I couldn't get the crosshairs and the target in focus at the same time. Got rid of it. I have a 3-9X40 "tri-moa" on my AR and it is pretty good. It compares to the old 4-12X Vari X II on my .17 HMR. Maybe a little dim, but very serviceable. Most of my rifles have relatively new glass. When I compare the worst of them to the "best" older glass on my father's rifles, I STFU with my complaints .. we've come incredibly far.

Tom
I have been pretty happy with my older VX-2s but only have 3 left since most have gone down the road with rifle trades. If the VX-Freedoms are as good as the VX-2’s, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it on anything but a hard kicking rifle. The ones I have left are on a .35 Whelen, .308 Win, and an AR. Happy Trails
Originally Posted by KenMi
That's why they dropped the VX-R. The Freedom series replaced the VX1, 2 and R.
A Tasco ?
© 24hourcampfire