Home
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.
Swarovski Z3
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Swarovski Z3

Yep!
And if you are going to go Trijicon, go with the 3-9x40.
I just went with a couple Swarovski Z3s from Doug.
Leupold FXII 6x36 if you can find one.
How about that little 2.5-10x from SWFA?
Originally Posted by yukon254
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

yukon254;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the Labor Day Long is starting out to be a fine one for you folks and all of you are well.

For sure and certain I'll preface this with the whole, "many roads to Mecca" preamble as well as the idea that you only have to please you... you know?

So then in my case when building a lightweight, walking around rifle for the mountains here in southern BC, I had a target weight of 7lbs loaded.

As I assembled the parts, the thing I used most was my wife's cooking scale as it told me the truth - sorta like a chronograph, as long as the chronograph isn't lying to you like my ancient Shooting Chrony appears to be, but I digress... wink

Again too, I wanted either a Husky or Mauser 98 type action and had a commercial roll marked, between the wars Mauser 98 action sitting in my safe so that's the way I went. By doing so however, I started out with 5oz more than if I'd waited to find a Husky action or for instance went with a short action 721/700.

The major reason I was aiming at the 7lb mark was that I've shot rifles lighter than that and had difficulty doing my best work with them. I'll note that the rifle below - started as an '06, then became a .270 which did make the 7lb goal and now is a 6.5x55 at 7lb4oz - is "different" to shoot than a rifle in the same cartridge but a pound and a half heavier.

Again that's me and might not be you, which is of course cool. grin

[Linked Image]

The scope I chose is a fairly oldish Leupold 6X Compact and yes they're a bit more finicky with the eyebox than some other Leupolds, but no I don't find it insurmountable, liking them enough to own two.

They're exactly 8.4oz by the way, the Trijicon you mentioned is 14oz I believe, but then if you started with a lighter action than I did, you'd still be okay.

Sorry about my usual long fingered way of answering, but there are in my view and experience, a whole lot of variables to take into consideration when building a mountain rig.

Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Dwayne

We are all fine up here in the north country. There is fresh snow on the mountains above the house today, so that is a sign of things to come.

Nice looking rifle you have there. I like the mauser style actions as well. To that end I have a stainless left hand MRC extreme ascent coming from Prophet River in the next few days. They are listed at 5 pounds 10 oz but I have heard they can be as much as a pound heavier. That would be OK with me because I like a bit more heft as well.

I will look into those Leupolds. I've always had good luck with that company in the past.

Hope you get a chance to do some walking in the hills with that rifle this fall.
yukon254;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

This year I ended up having a couple pounds of IMR 4831 go "off" on me - turned that reddish color and was dusty, so anyways that was the powder for the 120gr TTSX load I was shooting in the Swede, so since I was changing the powder I also am trying some 120gr GMX just because! grin

While I am now highly suspect of my speeds, it "may or may not" be that the load I settled on with VV N550 is pushing them at 2930fps! laugh

Seemed snappy enough and when the shop in Surrey that had a Pro Chrono model that I'd like to get returns from their summer shutdown, well if the stars align I'll see what it's really doing, you know?

As this is the first season which I'm "semi retired or fully into trial retirement", I intend to walk the local mountains flat AND do so during the middle of the week! wink

Weekends will be reserved for ferrying our eldest daughter out to try to see if we can get some freezer protein for her to shoot as well.

I'm not super sure where one would look for an older Compact Leupold like that other than gunnutz - but I've had reasonable luck buying and selling on that site over the years.

If you're not on gunnutz and you'd like me to look for something there, by all means give me a holler/PM and I'd be happy to do that for you.

Think I'm waiting for the 4th scope since spring bought on there.... blush Oh, I should add that 3 of them were for shooting buddys!

Anyways sir all the best to you all again.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by murkydismal

This seems to be a popular choice for light mountain rifles.

Yes. smile

With the LR reticle.

If you are not a 500-1000 yd shooter which I have never been and you don’t intend by your post, it gets much easier and lighter is righter, or so it seems to me.

My longest game shot went right to 500 yds and was made with a Zeiss with ballistic reticle — worked fine with a specific reference to hold to but...

From my moderate experience — about a quarter of a century of hunting the mountains for elk (not sheep or goats) I gravitated to the “less is more“ euphemism..

I now have a custom 284 with a Leup 6x with Long Range Dots with which under ideal conditions might attempt that 500 shot but certainly would at 400.

This rig weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs all up as they say.

While I appreciate John Burns, his equipment and skills, I am content with to carry less and get closer.
To that end I have a stainless left hand MRC extreme ascent coming from Prophet River in the next few days. They are listed at 5 pounds 10 oz but I have heard they can be as much as a pound heavier. That would be OK with me because I like a bit more heft as well.

Not to derail your thread but I've seen two iterations of those: one with a blind magazine (no bottom metal) that specs at 5#10oz., and one with full bottom metal that specs a little more. Both are marked "XAR" on the fluted featherweight contour barrels. Please post a picture when yours arrives as I'm curious as to which you wind up with.

RM
I've been carrying a Mountain Rifle in .280 since the late 80's.
It has a 3X9 Swaro with a simple crosshair that was before the Z3.
I've covered alot of miles with that set up but never changed the scope and its held perfect zero all these years.
Look at the Z3.
Those mountain rifles are butt heavy with the wood stock. I changed mine out to a B&C similar to the TI stock and it moves the balance more forward.
Mine wear 2.5-8x36 Leupolds.
Leupold 2.5-8X. IMHO, the best set-it-and-forget-it hunting scope available .. period.

Tom
Originally Posted by BC30cal

yukon254;

[Linked Image]

The scope I chose is a fairly oldish Leupold 6X Compact and yes they're a bit more finicky with the eyebox than some other Leupolds, but no I don't find it insurmountable, liking them enough to own two.

They're exactly 8.4oz by the way, the Trijicon you mentioned is 14oz I believe, but then if you started with a lighter action than I did, you'd still be okay.

Sorry about my usual long fingered way of answering, but there are in my view and experience, a whole lot of variables to take into consideration when building a mountain rig.

Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

I have one in FX-II with an M1 knob........small, light, a solid choice.

If Leupold had a small amount knowledge, they'd still make this scope.
I'd take two, I'm sure others would like them too.
Another vote for a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36!
Zeiss Conquest (Meopta) 3-9x40 or Leupold 2.5-8x36

That would get my vote as well. Perfect.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

I just bought a second hand one in 99% condition. The box said Wide Duplex but the scope has the standard duplex. So maybe a different box. I wouldn't have minded if it was the wide duplex as I don't really mind them.

I have a brand new Z3 3-9x36 that was going to go on my rebarreled 6.5x57 but I'm thinking the 6x may be a bit more classic.
Originally Posted by Sako76

And another vote for this one.
I'm a big fan of the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 with the Accurange reticle.

the scopes can be found pretty cheap, weigh 13oz, and that Accurange reticle has handy reference marks for aiming at 100, 200, 300, 400.

my son and I use these on our Savage LWH 308's and love it. Loaded package is right at 7# at a very reasonable price.

we hope to use these to put 165gr Accubonds through elk lungs next month. smile

good luck to you sir.

shane
Originally Posted by BC30cal
yukon254;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

This year I ended up having a couple pounds of IMR 4831 go "off" on me - turned that reddish color and was dusty, so anyways that was the powder for the 120gr TTSX load I was shooting in the Swede, so since I was changing the powder I also am trying some 120gr GMX just because! grin

While I am now highly suspect of my speeds, it "may or may not" be that the load I settled on with VV N550 is pushing them at 2930fps! laugh

Seemed snappy enough and when the shop in Surrey that had a Pro Chrono model that I'd like to get returns from their summer shutdown, well if the stars align I'll see what it's really doing, you know?

As this is the first season which I'm "semi retired or fully into trial retirement", I intend to walk the local mountains flat AND do so during the middle of the week! wink

Weekends will be reserved for ferrying our eldest daughter out to try to see if we can get some freezer protein for her to shoot as well.

I'm not super sure where one would look for an older Compact Leupold like that other than gunnutz - but I've had reasonable luck buying and selling on that site over the years.

If you're not on gunnutz and you'd like me to look for something there, by all means give me a holler/PM and I'd be happy to do that for you.

Think I'm waiting for the 4th scope since spring bought on there.... blush Oh, I should add that 3 of them were for shooting buddys!

Anyways sir all the best to you all again.

Dwayne

Dwayne, thanks for the information and the gunnutz idea. Yes I do go on there occasionally. Once I get the rifle I will weigh it and see if I got one of the lighter versions. I had a leupold VXR 2-7 with the firedot on one of the rifles I sent in as trade on the new one. I had it mounted in an EAW pivot mount. It was a nice scope but the 30mm tube made it a bit heavy for what Im looking to put together now. Funny how as we get older light and simple seems more appealing!

The Trijicon is ~15 oz's, so it's fairly light. I've not used one but have heard they are reliable. Nothing past 300 makes it easier since you won't be dialing. As long as you like that scope and it's reliable try it.

Another option is the NX8 1-8 at ~17ozs. It give you the option of dialing if you wanted but sounds like it would be something you wouldn't use. Should be super reliable.

Originally Posted by utah708
How about that little 2.5-10x from SWFA?

This would probably be the lightest at ~9.5 oz and you should be fine with the duplex out to 300 without dialing.

Used NXS 2.5-10x32's at ~19 oz are pretty nice but pay a little weight penalty.....super reliable.
I think that 1-4 would be a mistake for a mountain rifle. Sure it would weigh a few ounces less than something with a higher power range, but in my experience mountain hunting, elk and deer can be at short range or out in the open. I built up a light weight 7mm RM and it wore a 2.5-8x36 Leupold and it was okay, just a little lacking in last light brightness and first and last light is pretty often when you see a shooter animal. Now that 7mm RM wears a Swarovski 30 mm 2.5-10x42 and it is perfect. A couple of ounces more than that Leupold, but the advantage in the extra brightness and resolving power make it ideal.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by Sako76

And another vote for this one.

Yep.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think that 1-4 would be a mistake for a mountain rifle. Sure it would weigh a few ounces less than something with a higher power range, but in my experience mountain hunting, elk and deer can be at short range or out in the open. I built up a light weight 7mm RM and it wore a 2.5-8x36 Leupold and it was okay, just a little lacking in last light brightness and first and last light is pretty often when you see a shooter animal. Now that 7mm RM wears a Swarovski 30 mm 2.5-10x42 and it is perfect. A couple of ounces more than that Leupold, but the advantage in the extra brightness and resolving power make it ideal.

I have an older VXIII 2.5-8X36 and a newer VX3i 2.5-8X36, the newer model seems a bit brighter but I have never had an issue with either. If I did for the same price I'd get a VX3i 3.5-10X40 that would add 1.2oz
Yukon,

Your idea for a 1-4x is a good one.

For the non-budget constrained, the Nightforce NX8 1-8x would be a great option.
I've used various combos but settled on a M8 4X for a true light weight. 4X will get you further than you think. 2nd option is a SWFA 3-9HD on a more do it all rifle with possible longer shots. I have 2 on a pair of Tikkas. With Sportsmatch rings, they still are under 8 lbs all up and a very solid set up.

It took a while but I have 'seen the light' as to hunting hard conditions with most variables...
Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

The Trijicon 3-9x40 only weighs 12.8 ounces.
Standard duplex..............the WD did not help sales, and they knew it.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

If Leupold had a small amount of knowledge, they would make their scopes reliable and to hold zero and I would have this scope (or a 6x42) on all of my light rifles. Getting them to track well enough so the average shooter doesn't need a box of shells to sight in would help too.
Here's a good one for a light rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...l-or-trade-nib-meopta-meopro-6x42#UNREAD
Originally Posted by MagMarc

This
I’ve about gave up on lightweight scopes I’ll take the extra 6 ounces go NF SHV especially if your gonna dial..
Don't know about "ideal", but a big 2# NF on a manly rifle (at least 10#, probably more) worked for this young man. I've posted this rather famous photo before. He caught some flack, not for the big rifle, but for being a hunter in AK and Africa, showing pictures of some really nice trophies....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Aviator
I’ve about gave up on lightweight scopes I’ll take the extra 6 ounces go NF SHV especially if your gonna dial..

This or a nxs compact. I like to Use a light mountain rifle and a reliable scope like a nightforce and you will still be under 7 pounds. I’m surprised by all the Leupold recommendations and I don’t doubt everyone’s experience. Maybe I’m just unlucky but haven’t had good results with the VX3i scopes.

I would suggest a 2 3/4x. I have 2 3/4x and a 1-4x and both work really well. But with the 1-4x set on 1x I can see my rifle barrel through the scope, I keep that one set on 4x and works fine. If you do the 1-4x, well mine anyway, early 1970's Redfielld, its quite a bit smaller unit than a straight 4x and at one time a 4x was my choice for a hunting scope. Something a lot of people don't realize about even the 2 3/4x power scope, plenty of magnification even past 300yds. Shoting at a game animal the far out the aiming point is much larger than any target you can get. You could go with ether a 2-7x or a 3-9x and keep them on the lowest setting. Works great but you do have that larger scope body on the rifle. My 25-06 has a 3-9x on it and I've never felt the need for more than 3x shooting at game. I could do a 2-7x and be in the same situation with 2x! But the size of my two old Redfield's make them the best for me by a long shot!
Originally Posted by ejo
Originally Posted by Aviator

This or a nxs compact. I like to Use a light mountain rifle and a reliable scope like a nightforce and you will still be under 7 pounds. I’m surprised by all the Leupold recommendations and I don’t doubt everyone’s experience. Maybe I’m just unlucky but haven’t had good results with the VX3i scopes.

Unlucky or something else. Thing is most manufacturer's make a scope that would work fine in the OP's situation. I don't believe any scope's weight is good or bad, just depend's on who you ask. Same about the size, I like the small size, it's just me! You could usr a 6x as someone said and if it works for you, who am I to say it doesn't work? But I really like my small scopes, seem's the rifle is easier carrying and easier shooting. See that may be right or wrong depending on who you talk to!
I have the Trijicon 1-4 w/ the post reticle on a 16" AR and love it. It is very tough and coyotes at 300 yards is cake. You would probably like one of the crosshair reticle options better for hunting. This is a very reliable, rugged scope but not a lightweight~15 oz. For an additional 4 oz. and a little less $ you could get a SS 3-9 HD. This for me is the perfect hunting scope. A little extra weight for this flexibility and reliability is a cheap price to pay for a superior optic.

mike r
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

This seems to be a popular choice for light mountain rifles.

That or the x42.
I love night Force I have quite a few of them but I would never ever put them on a lightweight mountain rifle

Mine wears a 3 and 1/2 to 10 vx3i Leupold
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Leupold 2.5-8X. IMHO, the best set-it-and-forget-it hunting scope available .. period.

Tom

This, & I've never had a single one of them fail, at least 8-9, in spite of a lot of miles on horse back & a few good tumbles.

MM
+1 on the Z3

You won't regret a #4 reticle on either the 3-9 or 3-10.
I'll be the outlier, SWFA 3-9x42 Mil Quad. Suppose it could matter what mountains.
My lighter weight rifles mostly wear either 6x or 2.5-8x Leupolds and a Swaro Z3 but I recently purchased a 6x Meopta from Cameraland and am very pleased with it. It is not as light as the others but the optics are excellent, right up there with the Swaro or better. So 6x Leupold or even a 4X or the Meopta would be my choices. I am like some others and an all up weight of around 7 pounds is the best compromise for carrying and ease of shooting for me.

Other than a used scope the Meopta is the best deal around if Doug has anymore of the open box specials. For 300 yard shooting you do not need a $1,000 scope. I would only go with the Trijicon if you want an illuminated reticle of which the Trijicon is one of the best.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Tom

This, & I've never had a single one of them fail, at least 8-9, in spite of a lot of miles on horse back & a few good tumbles.

MM

That's refreshing to hear. You hang out here long enough and you begin to believe the mere recoil of a .22LR causes a Leupold's glass to shatter and the erector tube to explode. eek
Forget the scope... master the stair stepper.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I'll be the outlier, SWFA 3-9x42 Mil Quad.

+1
I only mountain hunt, it is the only hunt I find takes everything I got, but I carry a lightweight rifle and scope but not ultralight.
I prefer a simple low power variable, with no extra protrusions. A 2x7 x40 is ideal, my rifles take a beating. The scope must be able to take it.
Originally Posted by Tejano
My lighter weight rifles mostly wear either 6x or 2.5-8x Leupolds and a Swaro Z3 but I recently purchased a 6x Meopta from Cameraland and am very pleased with it. It is not as light as the others but the optics are excellent, right up there with the Swaro or better. So 6x Leupold or even a 4X or the Meopta would be my choices. I am like some others and an all up weight of around 7 pounds is the best compromise for carrying and ease of shooting for me.

Other than a used scope the Meopta is the best deal around if Doug has anymore of the open box specials. For 300 yard shooting you do not need a $1,000 scope. I would only go with the Trijicon if you want an illuminated reticle of which the Trijicon is one of the best.

I have all those scopes and agree 99%. My 6x42 Meopta was a dog to sight in though. I took it off my 6.5CM and put on a 6x38 Weaver. The Meopta is still sitting in the cupboard. I'll try it again and hope that the adjustments were sticking a bit as it was new. I've always been a Leupold user but the little Swaro Z3 3-9x36 has to be about the best little hunting scope made IMO.
Originally Posted by Elvis
the little Swaro Z3 3-9x36 has to be about the best little hunting scope made IMO.

+1 especially with the 4A reticle also have a couple of the Kahles 2-7s and they are equally good on a lightweight 308

Tom

Agree. Put one on my 257R MR.
Leupold vxl-lll 2.5-8x36mm is the best all around hunting scope period!

I also have Swarovski and Nightforce scopes, so the above statement isn't made in a vacuum.
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Leupold vxl-lll 2.5-8x36mm is the best all around hunting scope period!

I also have Swarovski and Nightforce scopes, so the above statement isn't made in a vacuum.

For 300 yard maximum like the OP is asking about, a duplex reticle is fine but what is everyone using on a mountain rifle for past 300 yards? The 2.5-8x36 isn’t offered with other options and the cds scopes haven’t been consistent so do you guys just hold over? I just had a new vx3i fail in a dozen shots with a NULA 7-08. Leupold has been putting out some poor quality products in the last few years.

Originally Posted by Brad

Yeap.... those extra 6-10 ounces for reliability are just brutal man killers.
Sighted in a 6x42 S&B with a BDC elevation dial yesterday evening. It wouldn't be a bad choice considering weight, glass quality, and reliability.
I have a 2-7x36 Kahles on my 257R MR. On the shelf I have a 6x42 FX3 w/M1 though and sometimes it tempts me.

Probably just need to buy another mt rifle for it...maybe a 7x57 or 280...
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by Brad

Yeap.... those extra 6-10 ounces for reliability are just brutal man killers.

It is rather refreshing,to drive glass you needn't fret. Reupold sadly,doesn't even begin to make the cut and their wares are simply fhuqking embarrassing,in objective extrapolations.

Just poked a fresh 8" RPM 7-08 spout on a rifle last night,am expecting my 22PPC Improved in Today's Mail and reckon a Howie 243 Kreed' ain't too far behind...none of which will be tainted by Reupold,despite having more than a "few" laying in wait. Hold the BDC Bullschit and simply pass erectors that talk the same language as the reticle and just happen to track,repeat and retain zero.

Hint.................

Ooooooooopsie!...forgot pics.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My 1-6x HD Eruminated Demo oughtta arrive today and I need to call MeeOptika and see WTF with my puked 1-6x from them.

Likely forgettin' some too..................
Originally Posted by osix
Originally Posted by Elvis
the little Swaro Z3 3-9x36 has to be about the best little hunting scope made IMO.

+1 especially with the 4A reticle also have a couple of the Kahles 2-7s and they are equally good on a lightweight 308

Yes. Both mine have the 4A reticle and I'm becoming a big fan of this style.
Swfa ultralight
Z3 3x9 W/4a for sure. The SWFA, in my experience, eye relief too short and the glass at higher mag’s just not clear so it sets in its box in the safe.....
Sorry, SWFA ultralight sets in the safe.....
The eye relief is fine on the swfa ultralight, its a non issue.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

+1

Yep, just another 24hour Campfire 'urban legend.'
Originally Posted by skeen

+1

Yep, just another 24hour Campfire 'urban legend.'

If you want 2.5 in. eye relief then go for it. No one is stopping anyone from running any glass they can afford and choose. Some Tex-a s s thin skin types around the optics forum
Just stating facts...nothing more, nothing less...

The eye relief "issue" on the swfa ultralight is not an issue.
Just stating facts...nothing more, nothing less...

The eye relief "issue" on the swfa ultralight is not an issue.

If 2.5 “ is no issue, go for it. Suits me
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Tom

Agree. Put one on my 257R MR.

Agreed, for an all round mountain rifle scope.

Then again, I'd ask about the mountain. Where I hunt in the Appalachians and in the Green Mountains out East, and my shots are unlikely to be over 75 yards or so, I'm OK with something of lower magnification, say straight 2.5x, 1-4, 4x fixed, 1.5x5 or 2x7, and a smaller form factor.

Out west, I'd prolly go bigger.
SS 3-9 Is pretty tough to beat for a mountain rifle
Swfa ultralight

Are there any retail stores I can look at one of these?
Originally Posted by Springcove
Swfa ultralight

You can get one of them and if you dislike it send it back. They’re pretty good about that.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Agreed, the more I shoot mine the better I like it. But I lug an 8lb. all up rifle around the mountains so I may not be qualified to comment on scopes.

mike r
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Springcove
Swfa ultralight

You can get one of them and if you dislike it send it back. They’re pretty good about that.

Thanks
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Calvin

Agreed, the more I shoot mine the better I like it. But I lug an 8lb. all up rifle around the mountains so I may not be qualified to comment on scopes.

mike r

Same here. I don’t use much lighter but man I really like plunking down, dialing and hitting. It’s pretty nice when it all comes together.
You might want to look at the Vortex razor 3x15x42mm LHT HD. 19 oz and tough as nails. Great glass and tracking also.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Mine too. I'm not a fan of the Leupold scopes where you are intended to twist dials but my 2.5-8s just go and go
Lightness counts in the mountains. My farthest ever poke at an elk was just over 200 yards and near anything would work for that. The horse guys didn’t care how much their rifle and equipment weighed, but walking up that mountain every morning at dawn, I sure did. I remember thinking that as of the day before that I hadn’t needed 10 rounds of 7 mag and that today I’ll bet that I could get by with only 7 or 8. A light scoped .308 three ridges back where the elk are beats a 9 pound .338 back at the tent.
If you can find one, a Leupold 2.5-8X36 with a Boone and Crockett reticle. A Leupold 3.5-10X40 with a B&C is right there with it.
© 24hourcampfire