Home
Posted By: br459 Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/25/20
Just placed my order with Doug. Should have it next week and mounted for the weekend to try out. Looking forward to this and how it compares to the meopro
Posted By: shinbone Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/25/20
Exactly my question, too. Can't wait to hear your user report.

I've got a few Meopros 3-9x, and 4.5-14x scopes, which I am very happy with. I am wondering if the Optika 5 is similar in image/optical quality, but with the wider magnification range. I am not really interested in the Optika 6, with its bulkier 30mm tube body. I am especially interested in the Optika5 4-20x. That seems to be just about perfect do-it-all magnification range for my hunting use.
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/26/20
I do some freelance work with Meopta and I have been using the Optika5 4-20x50 for 2 months now. I assure you the sight picture is impressive. Bright and clear from edge to edge and very good in low light. I took a coyote last weekend about 20 min after sunset and a hog the next evening. Mine sits on a Rem. 700 SPS .308 Win. It will definitely be hunting with me this fall.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/27/20
Way to ugly up a scope, Meopta...
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/27/20
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Way to ugly up a scope, Meopta...

Indeed...and the photo above omits the “blue ring” on the objective.

I have more meopta scopes than any other brand but I just can’t warm up to the looks of the Optika 6.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/27/20
Wow,folks worry more about a scopes looks then performance.The Optima 6 performs way beyond its price range.
Whoever designed that hideous, huge magnification ring should be fired.

Other than that, it sounds like a good scope.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Whoever designed that hideous, huge magnification ring should be fired.

Other than that, it sounds like a good scope.

crazy Actually the former head of sport optics at Meopta was let go last January and he was the one who brought the Optika5 and 6, lol
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/28/20
Doug,

As a consumer , the Optika 6 line had too many reticle options.
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/28/20
Bob, Decreasing the reticle options has been addressed and you will see some changes in 2021. I know you'll ask about the magnification ring, that has also been discussed.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by Huntz
Wow,folks worry more about a scopes looks then performance.The Optima 6 performs way beyond its price range.

I wouldn’t characterize it as worry.

It’s just puzzling that Meopta went out of their way to make it look “different”, which means someone had to think it was a positive aesthetic improvement.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Doug,

They discontinued about 30% of the original reticle options. We brought in all we could when they did that which is how we were able to sell those at such heavily reduced prices in our clearance area on our site
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by bman940
Bob, Decreasing the reticle options has been addressed and you will see some changes in 2021. I know you'll ask about the magnification ring, that has also been discussed.

bm,

The mag ring doesn't bother me . it looks easy to manipulate
Posted By: shinbone Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/29/20
I just got back from the rifle range where I shot a Winchester M70 scoped with a Zeiss V6 3-18x50; next to a Kimber Montana scoped with a Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44; next to a Kimber Montana scoped with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. This was in perfectly clear and bright sunlight on paper targets.

I understand this is a very limited anecdotal evaluation. That being said, in order of optical quality, I would rank the Meopta and the Swarovski equal. With the Zeiss V6 in 3rd. In other words, the Meopta Meopro is a gol-dang fine optic for the money.

The image through all the scopes was extremely bright and contrasty and sharp. The Zeiss was bumped into 3rd place because it added a slight green halo around the orange shooting dots I used for aim points. Not saying that my shooting at the range today compares to late evening hunting in the woods. All I'm saying, again, that the Meopta Meopro is an outstanding bargain.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/29/20
I do some freelance work with Meopta and I have been using the Optika5 4-20x50 for 2 months now. I assure you the sight picture is impressive. Bright and clear from edge to edge and very good in low light. I took a coyote last weekend about 20 min after sunset and a hog the next evening. Mine sits on a Rem. 700 SPS .308 Win. It will definitely be hunting with me this fall.

How does the Optika 5 compare to the Meopro aside from the power differences? I know how they compare in the bino line. Are these a notch lower as well?
Originally Posted by shinbone
I just got back from the rifle range where I shot a Winchester M70 scoped with a Zeiss V6 3-18x50; next to a Kimber Montana scoped with a Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44; next to a Kimber Montana scoped with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. This was in perfectly clear and bright sunlight on paper targets.

I understand this is a very limited anecdotal evaluation. That being said, in order of optical quality, I would rank the Meopta and the Swarovski equal. With the Zeiss V6 in 3rd. In other words, the Meopta Meopro is a gol-dang fine optic for the money.

The image through all the scopes was extremely bright and contrasty and sharp. The Zeiss was bumped into 3rd place because it added a slight green halo around the orange shooting dots I used for aim points. Not saying that my shooting at the range today compares to late evening hunting in the woods. All I'm saying, again, that the Meopta Meopro is an outstanding bargain.

Wrong thread, homey.
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

How does the Optika 5 compare to the Meopro aside from the power differences? I know how they compare in the bino line. Are these a notch lower as well?

Yes, Optika is the entry level
Posted By: shinbone Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 09/30/20
"Wrong thread, homey."

It's more relevant than whining about Optika 6 reticles in a Optika 5 thread.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by shinbone
"Wrong thread, homey."

It's more relevant than whining about Optika 6 reticles in a Optika 5 thread.

Please expand on your lack of information
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 10/01/20
TXHunter, The MeoPro has enhanced coatings over what is used on the Optika glass. I think I can tell the difference side by side, I do the Optika is very good in low light conditions and for the $, I do not think your eyes will be disappointed. I have guys who have looked through mine and said they can tell the difference quite easily and opted for the MeoPro, a lady hunter I know, said she liked the Optika5 better and has a 3-15x44 on order. It is all very subective.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 10/02/20
Thanks, I own a bunch of Meopros. I could see owning an Optika 5 without the blue ring and a better power ring. I'd like to see different adjustment caps too but that seems to be the look other companies are going for as well.
Posted By: Motown Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Thanks, I own a bunch of Meopros. I could see owning an Optika 5 without the blue ring and a better power ring. I'd like to see different adjustment caps too but that seems to be the look other companies are going for as well.

Some Butler Creek caps should take care of the blue ring issue. The power ring is pretty obnoxious though!
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 10/02/20
Yup, the blue ring will be covered up with scope caps. Some guys like the power ring because it's so easy to grop and turn, even without the throw lever. Bottom line is, do you like the glass and reticle options? The Optika5 is built for hunters who do not want to spend a lot of $ but still want a reliable and clear optic.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 12/04/20
Bump

Would you have Meopta repair a Meo pro under warranty or take a Optika 5 as replacement
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 12/04/20
Bob, Get the MeoPro repaired. It is rated as having a better glass. That being said, maybe there is an Optika5 that you like the magnification option better? I have used the Optika5 3-15x44 the past 5 days hunting and it is very nice. Worked great early morning and late evening. I will get a sunshade for it though. 6 of one, half doz of another. If you rate glass to glass, MeoPro wins.

Posted By: sbhooper Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by Huntz

Exactly! The same goes for guns. If it is pretty, it is just better. LMAO!
Posted By: Coopsdaddy Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/27/22
Can these be had without the blue ring?
Posted By: Riverc Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/27/22
Originally Posted by Coopsdaddy

Probably not....I have one and don't understand the big deal about the blue ring. I bought it because I like the glass, I like it better than my Leupold VX-3i
Posted By: Coopsdaddy Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/27/22
Not as big deal but if i had a choice I would pick black.
What if it was pink?Just saying
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/27/22
Sorry, The ring can't be swapped out. I have seen guys paint and tape over the blue ring, but that is the only way to hide it. Still gotta love that Optika5/6 glass.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/27/22
I have a Meopro on a 30-06 that looks clear to me very similar to the original Conquests. When others look through it they rate it below vx3i & even the Burris FF2 let alone the newer Zeiss glass.

It reminds me that individual vision makes a huge difference in evaluation of optics. I much prefer the Zeiss glass over Leupold & Nightforce even more expensive scope models but Swarovski looks very good even the older models. My visual bias continues in binoculars Swarovski looks best to me over any I’ve seen and Leupold doesn’t do much for me.

That said all of these are more than capable of filling your freezer and compared to what was a so when I started hunting are light years better. My first scope was a 70’s era Bushnell Banner with Huge white numbers that screamed “I’m fancy look at me” I can’t help but think the garish over the top design is cyclical. The reticle on that scope literally fell apart one day - I don’t think I’ll see that happen with the good scopes of this generation.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 02/28/22

We can send a sharpie with the scope. That would be the only way
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

We can send a sharpie with the scope. That would be the only way

^^^** Great response, I love it! ^^^^^

The blue ring doesn’t bother me at all!
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 03/03/22
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think they look too bad. I like the power ring. With cold hands and or heavy gloves, it's a great boon.

But, I really don't put a lot of influence on exterior aesthetics, so long as the scope does what it's supposed to as far as making bullets land where they're supposed to.
For gloss and walnut I like a matching scopes, but for more modern rigs, functionality is top of the list.

I've had a lot of positive experiences with Meoptas over the years. I haven't bought an optoka 5 or 6 yet, but the ones I've looked through have been impressive. I'm interested to hear how tough they've been for people.
Posted By: BradFord Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/11/22
I have the 3-15 44 Optika5 on backorder. I wanted to find out how far from the edge of center of the reticle the thick part starts. Does anyone have the Z-Plex information?
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/11/22
Brad, this is all the info I could come up with on the Optika5 Z-Plex reticle for you. I hope it helps?
Bart

Attached picture Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 9.22.29 AM.png
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/11/22
If this has already been asked I apologize, but where are the Optika 5 scopes made? I have 4 MeoPros that I love, and would consider an Optika as long as they aren’t coming out of China. Would obviously prefer Europe or US, but Japan would be ok. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Alex38
If this has already been asked I apologize, but where are the Optika 5 scopes made? I have 4 MeoPros that I love, and would consider an Optika as long as they aren’t coming out of China. Would obviously prefer Europe or US, but Japan would be ok. Thanks!

Czechoslovakia
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/12/22
Correct, the Czech Republic
Posted By: BradFord Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by Alex38

I have one Chinese scope in the safe. There will never be another.

Result - I have 2 Meoptas and 3 Leupolds, Another Meopta on the way.
Posted By: Boxerdog Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/13/22
I agree …. Done with Chinese scopes…. Meopta I believe makes there own glass as well
Posted By: BradFord Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/17/22
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Doug,

This - and baffling reticle instructions.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/17/22
These Optika's are butt ugly. I never really understood why Meopta discontinued the Meopro scope line. IMO, for the money, they were the finest scopes that one could buy. My Meopro, which is on a 7-08 is the best scope Ive owned. Its performs awesome during really low light. I can't ever see getting rid of it
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/17/22
I would like to see how an Optika would hold up on my 7½# 340 Wby. I have killed a lot of scopes with that rifle..
Posted By: bman940 Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/17/22
I had one on my Brown Precision 5.5 lb 375 H&H and it survived all 66 rounds I put through it. More rounds than the rifle had seen in its lifetime. I love pig hunting with that rifle.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Meopta Optika 5 3-15x44 - 07/17/22
I have an Optika 6 3-18 FFP MRAD. Its in the nascent stage of testing and use for me. Right now its on a 7lbs 338 win mag that has made several scopes go wonky. I hesitate to comment because the round count is still low at this point, but, FWIW, so far it's doing what it's supposed to do. Also FWIW, image quality throughout the X range, ER, EB, FOV, functionality, and click feel are all very good to great on this scope. I happen to like the large adjustment rings that I've seen described as "ugly"; they are easy to grab and move, and there's no question that your hand is on or not on where you intended to adjust. And while I enjoy a nice looking rig, I don't factor aesthetics into the selection process for a long range hunting scope.

I bought this scope mostly because I like the MRAD reticle. Secondly, I've had great experiences with several Meopta products in the past. I understand full well that the reticle has some shortfalls in certain instances; however, overall, it's very well designed and I find it to be a fantastic utilitarian reticle for all around close and long range hunting scenarios.

I won't get into specifics about the reticle; if interested, Ilya put out a great explanatory video on it.
© 24hourcampfire