Home
Posted By: kandpand Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
I seem to be one of those people that has trouble with a scope not having enough eye relief. I have to crawl the stock to get a full view. Examples would be Weaver Classic 4X and 6X even on short actions. I just tried to mount a Burris Fullfield II 3x-9x-40 and it is fine on the lower powers. What scopes have the most and constant eye review?
Noske and Leupold M8 2.5x Compact.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
If you can find one the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 has a good bit. The Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 has long eye relief.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
Scout scopes... laugh
Posted By: noKnees Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
The Leupold fixed 4x 6x36 and 6x42 were pretty good
Posted By: Shadow Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
Most Scout Scopes have 8" plus. But if you have to crawl a stock to get a full field of view, because the scope is too far forward, perhaps your just not using the right mount.

What rifle are you trying to scope, and what mounts are you using??

BTW the eye relief on the Burris you mentioned is pretty bad 3.1-3.4" and those Weavers aren't made any more so I can't check them.

Here's one in a reasonable $300. price range the Sightron S-Tac 2-10x32mm has a eye relief of 3.6-4.2"
If you could bear to go old skool, almost all the old ones had generous eye relief, nearly double of anything made since early '80's. Lyman American's, Bausch & Lomb "B" series, steel Weavers and I believe the Bear Cub Kollmorgen (Redfield). Used vintage scopes scare most people, but I've got the brands listed above...no failures. They do amazingly well on the USAF resolving chart in comparison to todays offerings, they track, they hold zero like a rock. They do not do well with the sun on the objective lens.
Originally Posted by Shadow
Most Scout Scopes have 8" plus. But if you have to crawl a stock to get a full field of view, because the scope is too far forward, perhaps your just not using the right mount.

What rifle are you trying to scope, and what mounts are you using??

BTW the eye relief on the Burris you mentioned is pretty bad 3.1-3.4" and those Weavers aren't made any more so I can't check them.

Here's one in a reasonable $300. price range the Sightron S-Tac 2-10x32mm has a eye relief of 3.6-4.2"

I seem to have problems on most rifles but the current two that are an issue is a Tikka T3 with Talley mounts and a CZ550 with unknown brand of ring mounts. I have used a lot of Leupold M8 fixed scopes but would like a scope that is not as hard to sight in.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
Are you talking about these??

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x/

If so, and your CZ550 uses fixed dovetails I'm not surprised your having eye relief problems.

One of these should fix the problem on your Tikka, plus you'll need scope rings that fit a Picatinny rail. Notice how many mounting slots the rail has compared to a fixed location like I think the Tally's you have do.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-tikka-t3-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-0-moa-ambidextrous

Same, same for your CZ550 if you have the standard length action. Again you'll need rings.

https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-hd-cz-550-standard-action-picatinny-scope-mount-0-moa

This one if you have the magnum length CZ550 action

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-cz-550-602-magnum-action-picatinny-scope-mount-0-moa
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
I rather like my Recknagle pic rail on my Steyr.
NECG carries em.
Find the older Minox ZA-5 scopes. I have the 1.5-8 and the eye relief is close to 4.5 inches.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/18/20
Yes. Scout scopes. 2.5X Leupold

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Switch to golf!
Originally Posted by noKnees
The Leupold fixed 4x 6x36 and 6x42 were pretty good

This would be my suggestion.

I will also suggest the Leup VX-III, 3, 3i 2.5-8x36mm. Set on 2.5 through about 5 or 6x, it has very generous eye relief as well as a flexible eye box.

Even on 8x, the eye relief is okay at about 3.5".
Originally Posted by mathman
If you can find one the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 has a good bit. The Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 has long eye relief.

Conquest 3-9x40 is one of my fav scopes, for sure for what they were bringing a few years ago. I picked up several in the $285 range, sent a couple back for elevation turret, IIRC for $85. Ballistic tape works well. Glass is great, ER is great, duplex type reticle is easy to see in dim light, they track well, although turrets do turn the “wrong way”. They’re not overly bulky or heavy. What’s not to like?

DF
I mounted a Leupold M8 4x28mm scope on two of my rifles for the same reason you are asking about eye relief. I have a Leupold FXII 6x36mm on my M70 30-06. It has the best combination of eye relief and tube length for me.
Swarovski Z6 1x6x24 EE scope with 4 3/4" eye relief. I could not ask for more from this scope and its intended purpose.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Scope with most eye relief - 10/21/20
The older Burris 3x9 compact, 2 7/8 to 4 7/8 eye relief, if memory serves my correctly. I mounted one on my .338 WM because I also tend to crawl up the stock! Great scope and has been for 20 years! Maybe they make something similar today.
© 24hourcampfire