Home
What do you guys like and why?
I've tried to like a harness system, but keep going back to the factory strap slung over one shoulder and the bino carried under the off arm.

I don't like a harness because it pulls against the binos when viewing through them unless you keep it real loose, then it dangles down around your belt buckle. I also find it's a nuisance to put on and take off over layers.
i agree, i tried the bra and dont like, especially when wearing multiple layers, i have to take it off to take off the outer layer of clothing and if wearing alot of layers its so tight, i have to really pull it up to use the bicoulars
Neck strap. Easy on/off or throw over shoulder if need be.

Hard to go prone with the bra. I like my optics too much.
I use a carry all hitch. A guy from Alpine AZ (i think) makes and sells them.
The system is like putting on suspenders on your belt. You clip the back to your belt them pull them over your shoulders and attach your binos. The best part about the system is you can crawl and not have your optics dangle on the ground. They have a elastic piece that goes around your chest and you put the binos under the elastic bands and it holds them to your body. Easy to use and better than a bra or neck strap. Won't go back to a strap or bra.

Enrique
Regular neck strap, longish. If right handed, over the neck and beneath the left arm (outside of clothing). If left handed, opposite. Protected and easy to reach and bring in to view, keeps dust and grit off lenses, too.

All the rest and styles are pretty much gimmicks to me,,,,like 'scent lockers, cough supressors, etc.'.

Old Toot
I like the bra better but I have to sneak it out of the house as the wife gets upset when I use one. She doesn't like to share.
Kique-does that fella have a web site?

Thx

Mark D
Neither. Always on the carry pouch on my belt, or in my hands. FWIW, Dutch.
Mark,

He might. I think if that carry harness catches on, it'll go gangbusters. it is kinda hard to put on at first, but once you get the hang of it, you won't go back trust me.

I use that set up when I carry my 15's and everyone knows how big they are.

If I can find a website I'll post a link.

Kique
Bino Buddies
After using the Crooked Horn system the past couple of years and various straps before that, I gave the Bino Manager a try this year. I didn't like it when I first tried it out of the box, but it quickly grew on me. I'll be using them from now on.
I carry the big ones with a longer strap and under my arm. I got a bra with my 15s from Swarovski and finally put it on my 8x30s. I have carried it a little this year and haven't made up my mind if I like it or not- I will say this much- the Swarovski knock-off of the crooked horn bra is a piece of junk. Inferior clips that constantly come loose- could affect my judgement against the bras in general...
Thanks-when you heading south?

Mark D
For a long time now, been carrying them with a short strap around the neck and binos buttoned inside shirt or jacket for travel. It's not a comfortable strap however, so I wear a bandanna around my neck under the strap if it slides off the collar. Why? Quick, convenient and well protected.
t
Regular neck strap, longish. If right handed, over the neck and beneath the left arm (outside of clothing). If left handed, opposite. Protected and easy to reach and bring in to view, keeps dust and grit off lenses, too.

Same way I prefer, with the caveat that the strap must be set long enough to allow the binocs to be easily used. Also, I often carry under a parka this way.

In dense brush where repeated snagging is a problem I'll generally wear 'em suspended from a shoulder, hanging alongside the lower back, that way when they snag they can be quickly taken off and freed.

Can't stand anything hanging around just my neck.

Birdwatcher
I like the "bra". It keeps them from dangling when you crawl or go to prone. I use a pair from Swaroptic (Spelling - aw who cares anyway) the only piece of their gear I can afford. They adjust automatically to layering and don't interfear with my packs chest straps. They also dont swing and make noises by hitting my rifle.
How exactly does the Swarovski version "adjust automatically to layering and not dangle when prone or interfer with your pack chest straps"?

If I'm not mistaken, the Swaro version is identical to the Crooked Horn version I've used other than the markings stamped on the leather piece, and it does none of the above.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't matter how tight I cinch it, the binos will drag/dangle away from my chest when prone, and I've yet to figure out a good way to use them while wearing a pack with chest straps. It's either put the binos/harness on first and forget about the chest strap, or put the pack on first and then try to fit the harness straps over the shoulder straps of your pack, neither of which work worth a damn.

As previously mentioned, another issue I have with the Crooked Horn harness systems I've tried is if you really cinch them down to reduce dangle/swing or to where they're not hanging down around your belly button, then they pull against the binos when you bring them to your eyes.....
I've always used a strap. The heavier ones, like my Leicas, I like to hang over my left hip on a long strap. Works well with the packs I use.
The lighter ones, like my 8X32, I like as short a strap as will allow the binos to raised to the eyes.
I always wear a pack, so they work that way. I've done lots of running to get into position a shoot, so they work that way. And they allow me to throw the pack on the ground in a hurry if I need to use it as a rifle rest.
All I've ever seen the bras do is keep them from flopping around. Something a properly adjusted strap will do as well. E
Crooked horn type. Works for me, especially leaning over while stalking or crossing fences and riding on the 4 wheeler. Handy climbing into my towers or tripods.
For all those against, you can use it as a single strap in a hurry. Just don't put your arms through.

pepaw
+ 350
I quit on the bra's a couple years ago, can't stand 'em!! I like my Zeiss Classics on the strap that came with them.........works the best for me!
Mark,

Enrique is refering to the Hang Tight Harness
http://www.hangtightharness.com/
I like it better than the Crooked Horn in that it does not bounce with heavy binos or swing out. I did not like it when wearing a coat. If you're interested in a used pair, let me know.

I am now using the Bino Manager, which also doesn't bounce and holds em close, but can be worn outside a coat.
http://www.archerywarehouse.com/binoaccess.htm

Doug~RR
Always found the strap better than any "manzear/bro".
The Hang Tight Harness web page is horrid ... they don't even come close to showing you (visually or verbally) how/why their system works, and why you should invest in one ...

The Bino Manager, on the other hand, seems to be a fantastic system ... I'm seriously considering ordering one of them ...
The bino buddy has worked well for me.
This is the best I've tried, and I've used it for years. The bra system is not the easiest to get off, but is worth it.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3843
I have to agree with Eremicus here. Single strap short as possible, just enough to get over my head, for reasons already stated. This year marks my 20th year with my Zeiss 10x40 B, now on its' 3rd strap, and I just can't see messin' with the most efficient system. Easy on, easy off, no fuss, no muss.
WGM

I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE BINO MANAGER AS WELL!
Crooked Horn makes a Bino Shield that is a pouch that fits my Zeiss binocs & has a strap that fits around my chest. I use the strap that came from Zeiss around my neck. The pouch has a zipper storage area for a cleaning kit. When in Africa unless in a lot of sand I suspend under my arm with the strap only like my PH. This has worked for me many years.
I can't explain how the Swar system works, and have never seen the other brand you mention. The elastic is fairly stretchy but has good memory.

I used straps for years and decided to try the bra because I wasn't satisfied. Now I am, but you really cant ask for advice on equipment and get any answer that isn't filled with contradictions.
The Swaro one I have is NOT the same thing as the Crooked Horn. The snaps are very cheesy and the elastic is poorer. I'm not completely sold on the bra thing
© 24hourcampfire