Home
Posted By: Switch Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
One of my favorite scopes was discontinued a while back by Leupold, the 6 X 36 fixed power, so I've been looking to pick up another one. They are light, have enough power and light gathering for my uses. They are also long enough to use with a verity of different mounts and action lengths The ones I own have held zero and tracked well, I have then on my Kimber Classic, Fieldcraft and a couple of 99's

One NIB came up on Ebay last night and I placed a fair bid, but it went for just under $487.00, I was amazed, never know what you've got until it's gone!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
You mean you don't know they're utter crap?

I've got one on an 1885 and I like it. Simple. No frills.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
Gotta love the hyperbole on both sides of this issue.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
I have one on my M70 30-06. Perfect fit for me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Switch
One of my favorite scopes was discontinued a while back by Leupold, the 6 X 36 fixed power, so I've been looking to pick up another one. They are light, have enough power and light gathering for my uses. They are also long enough to use with a verity of different mounts and action lengths The ones I own have held zero and tracked well, I have then on my Kimber Classic, Fieldcraft and a couple of 99's

One NIB came up on Ebay last night and I placed a fair bid, but it went for just under $487.00, I was amazed, never know what you've got until it's gone!

You can do a lot better. I bought M8s in 6x and 4x, kept the 4. Sold the 6 for what I had in it, $200 IIRC.
Posted By: Switch Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Switch

You can do a lot better. I bought M8s in 6x and 4x, kept the 4. Sold the 6 for what I had in it, $200 IIRC.

I wish I would have seen your ad earlier! Recently they really gone thought the roof. IMHO you sold too cheap!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
I've been using one on a 300 win mag for 17 years now. Countless horseback and atv miles and it has never moved. I haven't been looking at prices at all, but I don't think I'd pay close to $500 for one, dang. Paid $100 for mine.
Posted By: Brad Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
I prefer the LRD model of the 6x36.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/26/20
Prolly those bean counters who stopped production of this product.
By not having a power selector on this scope, grants more leeway in mounting to various actions.
Nice scope for those who like it. And, I like them.
Posted By: Lw308 Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Meopta makes a 6x, I've read good things about them. I doubt they are as lite as the Leupold. A 6x scope just makes sense to me in a hunting situation unless you are in the woods.
Posted By: prm Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Kind of wish I wouldn’t have sold my LRD 6x36. The dials are a joke, but seemed to stay once set.

I would not get another Meopta 6x. I’m 0-2 on those.
Posted By: Unalakleet_Yooper Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
I have the LRD version on both of my 270's. They seem like a good fit. I have one more of these NIB. I have a Meopta as well and like the reticle but the scope is heavier.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by Brad

I’ve never had one of those, but I bet I’d like one.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by Lw308
Meopta makes a 6x, I've read good things about them. I doubt they are as lite as the Leupold. A 6x scope just makes sense to me in a hunting situation unless you are in the woods.

Never used their 6x, but. their 4x is about as nice as you could ask for in a hunting scope. I'm sure Doug could hook you up either way.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20

The Meopta is about 50% heavier than the Leupold and a lot bigger physically. I bought a new one earlier this year to try and it has been about the worst scope to sight in ever. POI not changing after adjusting dials then jumping too far. I ended up taking it off my 6.5CM and putting on a 6x38 Weaver.

I like the 6x36 Leupold too. I have them on my 7x57, 7x64 and .257 AI and bought another one a few months ago. My 6.5x57 is just about finished and I have a new 3-9x36 Swarovski to go on it but the 6x36 Loopy sort of seems more appropriate for the old cartridge.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
So the Leupold 6x is discontinued ???
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
The 6x36 was discontinued. They still make a 6x42
Posted By: ribka Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Never used their 6x, but. their 4x is about as nice as you could ask for in a hunting scope. I'm sure Doug could hook you up either way.

hilarious when anti gun libs chime in on gun/scope topics

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...ss-gun-control-schools-town-hall-vpx.cnn
Posted By: Bugger Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
I'd like to trade my VX scopes for FX 6x's
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
Here is a Leupold M8 6x36, Gloss finish, mounted on my custom Ruger #1. I think it looks great on this rifle, and works well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/27/20
I have read that the Meopta 6x is very nice. Never looked thru one.
Posted By: chas05 Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/28/20
The discontinuation of the 6x36 loopy was disappointing, I’ve got one on a Kimber Hunter 243 and I love it. The Weaver 6x38 was another under-rated scope in my mind...
Posted By: Tejano Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/28/20
The Meopta 6x42 is very nice but heavier than the Leupold's. Optical quality is a tick above Leupold too. 15 ozs compared to 13.6 for the Lupy.
For a medium weight rifle I will go with lighter mounts and not sweat the 1.4 oz difference in favor of better optics and reticles of the Meopta.

For a light weight I would look for a used 6x36 or other options. The Freedom 2-7x is 11.1 ounces so about the same as the 6x36 and not a bad choice. The compact models give up some low light performance but this is acceptable to others, but not me.

Don't rule out the fixed 4x as they are around 10 oz and have been getting it done out to even longer ranges for the last forty years or so.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/28/20
6x42...????
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/28/20
I went though a 6x42 phase about 20 years ago. I had several of them because I liked the simplicity and the very forgiving eye box on them. The 6x36 never really appealed to me optically the way the 6x42 did.

Bb
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/28/20
Bb - the 42 is nice, but the compact 36 and 33 def have much utility. You said phase...did you move on to something after the 6x42?

I've grown very fond of 2-7s on my rimfires for tree squirrels, and no doubt they will do good duty on larger game.

Never been a Hubble scope kind of guy......though at the range 6-20 and 6-24s lowered eye strain for sure. I am sure your terrain is much more open and vast than mine.

No doubt, it's a big disappointment to see Leupold end the mfg. of some nice fixed scopes, they serve a nice niche in various applications.
Posted By: Shag Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here is a Leupold M8 6x36, Gloss finish, mounted on my custom Ruger #1. I think it looks great on this rifle, and works well.

Beautiful rifle man. Nothing looks more classy on a rifle than a Leupold. Never met one that failed as a hunter.
Posted By: IglooJoe Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/29/20
Ye
Originally Posted by Shag
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Beautiful rifle man. Nothing looks more classy on a rifle than a Leupold. Never met one that failed as a hunter.

Yeo, that's about as classy as it gets for a custom rifle..
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/29/20
I wish Leupold still made their 6x42-with A/O.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/29/20
Think it was called their tactical A/O 6x42
Posted By: micky Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/31/20
It was called the Competition Hunter. The fine dot reticle is impossible to use anywhere other than the range. I have tried it on two rifles and it’s a wonderful scope for what it is designed for, it simply sucks for why I bought it. It’s a 6x42 fx3.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 10/31/20
They also made an all black tactical version with A/O 6x42
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/01/20

Yep a good one. Had it originally on a Kimber Montana .257 Bob but moved it to a 9.3x62 Ruger African. Dots work perfect from 100 to 400 yards which will be the sizzle on a 9.3. Love it.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/01/20
Originally Posted by JLimbo

Yep a good one. Had it originally on a Kimber Montana .257 Bob but moved it to a 9.3x62 Ruger African. Dots work perfect from 100 to 400 yards which will be the sizzle on a 9.3. Love it.

Yup, had the 6x36 LRD on my .308. Worked from 30 yards in the woods to past 200 yards on stand. Just about perfect, but in my infinite wisdom I sold it. Still looking for another one.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/03/20
6x 36 or 42 mm on. #1 B in mediums?
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/03/20
IIRC, I ran a 42 on a K1A Swede - sporter profile w/ medium rings - and used a shim cut from an Aluminum can, on the lower half of the rings. That or a business card will do if you need that little extra.

Also ran a 1B with a 270 with a 36, with PLENTY clearance.
Posted By: Western_Juniper Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/03/20
How does the 6x42 compare? I have my eye on that one for an old pre-64 Mdl 70 for pronghorn hunting. I'm torn between the simplicity and classic style versus spending a lot more for the best optics. I won't dial on this rifle, so all I care about are the optics. It's sort of a strange dilemma because I'll either like the FX3 better than anything or I'll end up spending a lot more for a S+B Klassik or Swarovski variable and making it "un-American."
Posted By: Youper Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/03/20
I traded into a 6x36 FX-II to mount on a Savage 99R, but haven't tried it yet. Glad I found one to try.
Posted By: Osky Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
How does the 6x42 compare? I have my eye on that one for an old pre-64 Mdl 70 for pronghorn hunting. I'm torn between the simplicity and classic style versus spending a lot more for the best optics. I won't dial on this rifle, so all I care about are the optics. It's sort of a strange dilemma because I'll either like the FX3 better than anything or I'll end up spending a lot more for a S+B Klassik or Swarovski variable and making it "un-American."

I am curious as well? I am building out a Ruger #1 in a swift for coyote control. I want decent clarity to 500 yards, set the scope up on the range and never touch the dials again. I can adjust for distance “manually” in the field as I always have.
For those who own and use the FX3 6x42 your thoughts?

Osky
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Scope internals matter wayyyyyyyyy more than external "appearances". Hint.

The 6x36 has been and remains Dog Schit from inception,as compared to the 6x42. Hint.

The 6x42 is best(like everything else Reupold),without A/O. The 1/8" erectors are fhuqking tender JUNK. The most recent versions,are cost cutting measures and Dog Schit. Hint.

"Shimming" ring halves,is about THE dumbest fhuqking thing you can do to a rifle. Hint.

Were Reupold to go back to better internals and couple the 6x42 with an etched MQ reticle,they'd have something worthy. Hint.

But...alas. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: BillyE Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Variable power seems to outsell fixed by a very large margin. Leupold has cut a lot out of their portfolio recently. I have a 6x42 I like pretty well. Not in love with the reticle but it is fairly bright and simple. I bought it for the kids/girls rifle just because it was simple. It seems like everyone wants a higher zoom ratio, which just seems a bit pointless to me.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Scope internals matter wayyyyyyyyy more than external "appearances". Hint.

The 6x36 has been and remains Dog Schit from inception,as compared to the 6x42. Hint.

The 6x42 is best(like everything else Reupold),without A/O. The 1/8" erectors are fhuqking tender JUNK. The most recent versions,are cost cutting measures and Dog Schit. Hint.

"Shimming" ring halves,is about THE dumbest fhuqking thing you can do to a rifle. Hint.

Were Reupold to go back to better internals and couple the 6x42 with an etched MQ reticle,they'd have something worthy. Hint.

But...alas. Hint.

Shimming ring halves worked just fine on my rifle......shot 1.1" at 200 yds.......deer near 300 yds did not argue....DRT........

The upside was the lower rings allowed my face to get a decent cheek weld vs taller rings. And......I also have a 6x33 FX-II, some use 2-7x33, same objective for a 7x and owners rarely complain. My 6x33 works just fine, M1 and standard Duplex.......owned many 42s, no complaints, but I like svelte.

If it works...........it works.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
I have two Leupold Mk4 M3 fixed 6x. Love them both !
Shimming sounds like it might put unneeded stress on the tube, and some of these tubes are pretty flimsy. Is this to allow for vertical travel? If so, I’d look for an angled mount so the bores line up. Just me...
65Drooler,

Shimming ring halves,doesn't/can't work on ANY scope/rifle,unless one is musing concentric reducers. Read that again. Now one more time. HINT.

"Tactical" cardboard ring shims?!? You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards never disappoint,by simply doing your BEST! Hint. LAUGHING!

Now to solve a concentricity issue,one can certainly shim a base with a non-malleable/weatherproof spacer(non cardboard!) and eccentric Signature rings. It's an easy solve for concentricity woe(s) and added inclination. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for sharing your BEST though!

Hint.

LAUGHING!..........

Ms. Myrth,

I've never seen one. Google says that they are BDC,which is a Goat Fhuqk? Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Perhaps with a shift to a turret,which aligns it's (1) MOA elevation erector graduations,it might could be pressed into service? That despite the erector travel being rather trite,given it's 30MM tube. HINT.

Or so Google tells me. Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

CryLee,

Your Brokedicktitude and STUPIDITY precludes you from even a FIRST fhuqking clue...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Do NOT "forget",that imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Bless your heart for Crying and Trying though!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
crazy
Stick,
I see you’ve become obsessed with me. You’re not my type. Sorry to hurt your feelings. You really are sensitive.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by BillyE
Variable power seems to outsell fixed by a very large margin. Leupold has cut a lot out of their portfolio recently. I have a 6x42 I like pretty well. Not in love with the reticle but it is fairly bright and simple. I bought it for the kids/girls rifle just because it was simple. It seems like everyone wants a higher zoom ratio, which just seems a bit pointless to me.

Yep indeed. The trend seems to be bigger scopes. One young bloke who joined our deer club for a while put a 5-25 scope on his .30-06 for deer and then shot four times at a red stag at 100m ................and missed four times. He finally hit it on the fifth shot which was probably a lucky shot judging buy his previous shooting skills. My mates have a bit of a laugh at me for buying fixed scopes and none will try one themselves. They are all convinced they are hindering themselves and most won't even buy a 2-7 or 2.5-8 variable even, as they think a 7x or 8x magnification is still not enough to shoot a deer.

I was sad to see Leupold get rid of the 4x33 and 6x36 but I can't really blame them when not many people are buying them anymore.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/15/20
Don't you have a nice Kaps fixed power?
Ms. Myrth,

You've an unfair "advantage",in that STUPIDITY is certainly NO "act" for you...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart,for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

CryLee,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Ain't it a hoot,that your Brokedick STUPIDITY and Homoerotic Fantasies,so very RELIABLY take you to places that don't exist. PLEASE cite a Thread,where I've EVER replied to you,less your initially hitting on me to no avail. HINT. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for doing the best you can,with what INCREDIBLY little you "have" to "work" with. Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Elvira,

That's it! Your testimony is gonna have me givin' a fixed power scope a try,if only for the first time! Hint.

GREAT Story too!

math',

It's Irons or BUST for me!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

A Leupold 6-36x sounds pretty good to me though!

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

PLEASE cite a Thread,where I've EVER replied to you,less your initially hitting on me to no avail. HINT. Laughing!

This one. And every other thread I’ve posted in.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
CryLee,

How come you are ALWAYS the "Victim"...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

What do you "do" for a "living" again,which "fuels" your Brokedicktitude in such compelling fashion? Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
Geezzz, Stinky, is that chamber filthy enough for you. Can't imagine what your house looks like 😂.

God, you're a pathetic mutt.
6mm,

Fascinatingly enough,you can't even keep a grip on what you Imagine,let alone Pretend...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you however,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute",you Whining Brokedick Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

Ooopsie! It happens. Hint. LAUGHING!

That was "CLOSE" though! Hint. LAUGHING!

"Lucklily",you can "afford" to read about it. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hear for being broke.

Hint.

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
I still love the 6x36 LR 270 Win 140 Accubond combo.

Inside of 400-450 yards it is hard to beat.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
CryLee,

How come you are ALWAYS the "Victim"...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

What do you "do" for a "living" again,which "fuels" your Brokedicktitude in such compelling fashion? Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

Victim of what? You’re confused again. Don’t take much. Maybe you need a nap.
Shammo,

You tell 'em,you almost "do" as "much" as an inner-city Soccer Mom...you "lucky" kchunt. hint. Congratulations?!?

The closer your STUPID is,don't make it "better". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

CryLee,

Fill out yet another Hurt Feelers Report...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all,as you make more Excuses,you MAGNIFICENT Whining Kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Whining,Crying and Trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Sweet Garand
CryLee,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
Stick..
What’s happening man, long time no chat
In the garand pic do you recall origin of the flat plastic 10 packs of ammo? I had a bunch like that similar but 308. Your pic appears to be ‘06? It’s the Only surplus fodder I can recall packaged as such
Found some...Indian
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
'fiable,

I bought 4000+ rds of M2 Ball in Clips,but have had 10's of 1000's of 308 Ball. Have never seen Twat-Six packaged in 10rd,or ANY other round count plastic sheets. Hint.

'Course this stuff is all "new" to me..................(grin)
Too funny.. I knew that stuff looked familiar!
Rounds in your pic just looked a smidge longer than x51 but I guess my eyes were duped..

Wish I would have bought a couple truckloads at those prices
CryLee,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

I don’t care enough about you one way or another. You’re dreaming again. Get your mind out of the gutter.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
BS - you can't argue with results. As I said, If it works..........it works.

What I have used - has worked for me at the range and in the field.
CryLee,

Few things funnier,than a Brokedick Whiner TRYING to "convince" herself,that she "doesn't care"...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are doing "GREAT"! Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for Trying though.

Hint.

BR,

There's nothing to "argue" about,because it's easily amongst THE dumbest fhuqking things you could ever do to a rifle. You keep Trend Setting! Hint.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
You cannot argue with RESULTS........carry on.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
Wtf !
Naw, you got that wrong again there Stinky.

The funniest things are anyone believing that you can outshoot any scope.

You were challenged just a little while ago to show your prowess in a competition shoot with your fellow Alaskan shooters. You cowered once again, because you can't out shoot anyone no matter what scope or butchered, rusted rifle you own.

Or, just show us a letter from any scope manufacturer begging you to come run their R&D department.

Ya, I that is what I thought. You are just a little mutt freak of nature that can only shoot his mouth off.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

You were challenged just a little while ago to show your prowess in a competition shoot with your fellow Alaskan shooters. You cowered once again, because you can't out shoot anyone no matter what scope or butchered, rusted rifle you own.

Or, just show us a letter from any scope manufacturer begging you to come run their R&D department.

Ya, I that is what I thought. You are just a little mutt freak of nature that can only shoot his mouth off.

Lol!!!!!!!
Posted By: 14Homer Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20

Big Stick says he used to live in Kodiak. In Kodiak we have had NRA approved Silhouette matches, 3 position rifle matches, HP Rifle matches, bullseye pistol matches, bowling pin matches, plate matches, and more. I did not see big stick at any of our matches. And we had a lot. NRA approved HP Rifle match every Wednesday night (100 yard reduced) and 2 500 yard matches every month. I did not see him at any of those matches. It is fun to brag about how good you are behind your PC screen. It is different to go out in the real world and show people how tough you really are. Bullets don't matter, shooters matter.
More!!!!

Originally Posted by 14Homer

Big Stick says he used to live in Kodiak. In Kodiak we have had NRA approved Silhouette matches, 3 position rifle matches, HP Rifle matches, bullseye pistol matches, bowling pin matches, plate matches, and more. I did not see big stick at any of our matches. And we had a lot. NRA approved HP Rifle match every Wednesday night (100 yard reduced) and 2 500 yard matches every month. I did not see him at any of those matches. It is fun to brag about how good you are behind your PC screen. It is different to go out in the real world and show people how tough you really are. Bullets don't matter, shooters matter.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Leupold 6x36 - 11/16/20
Stinky. I have a new word which applies to you. IGNORANUS. Please come see me if you are anywhere near Kansas City. I'll give you my address. Last time I will pray for you. Be Well, RZ.
14Homer,

Your post of a few weeks ago was what I was referring to.

Stinky has demonstrated through all his bloviating that he is all talk and no provable action.

His pictures of rusted rifles and hacksawed barrels is proof enough that he is an absolute jerk.
© 24hourcampfire