Home
Posted By: flagstaff Homemade dual optics mount - 10/26/20
Attached is a photo of a homemade dual optic mount I made about 15-20 years ago. I use it all the time when hunting big country and the use of a binoculars and a spotting scope are kinda necessary. Cost like a whole $10.

I did the mount as to alleviate the swapping back and forth between either using a binocular to a spotting scope, then back again vice versa. I simply glass with my binoculars, and if I see something I want to take a closer look at, I simply turn my head and look through my angled spotter.

I took the photo this past weekend during my Coues deer hunt. I saw 5 bucks but none I wanted so came back empty handed.

I am only now posting the photo because I am technically challenged and only recently figured out how to post photos. After 10 years on this website. Insert eye roll here_____.

I usually use my Swarovski 15’s with my Zeiss 85mm Diascope, but in the photo, I am using my Swarovski 7x42’s as my son in law was using my 15’s on his tripod.

The binoculars and spotting scope do not perfectly “aim” at the exact spot but certainly close enough to not be a problem. They are easily both within the same field of view.

When using my homemade mount, the only problem I have can be the spotter can have an annoying vibration from the occasional high winds when cranked up to 60 power as the spotter is on the end of the mount.

I bring a Crown Royal bag and fill it with rocks and suspend it from the bottom of the tripod during high wind spotting, not so much to reduce the vibration (it does help some), but to alleviate the potential of the tripod from falling over if I step away from the tripod for a few moments (as there is more weight from the weight of both the binoculars and spotter on the tripod at the same time). I have seen grown men about cry when their tripod with just a binocular fell over, damaging their expensive optics, from high winds during a hunt.

Just thought I would post the photo if it helps others with their spotter or Bino quandary

Attached picture 6F7F4FBE-852A-4B6A-9B6B-D9FE264E26BC.jpeg
Another closeup photo of the mount.

Attached picture CFE9EEE2-8015-42FA-A082-2DC796664175.jpeg
This is the first time I have seen something like this. Very clever and useful.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Homemade dual optics mount - 10/26/20
Very cool Flagstaff, thanks for sharing. There's been several times I've made the mistake of swapping over to a spotter prior to getting my landmarks sorted out through the binos. This would've helped.
Posted By: aalf Re: Homemade dual optics mount - 10/26/20
[Linked Image]
Posted By: aalf Re: Homemade dual optics mount - 10/26/20
[Linked Image]
Thx alff!
Oh I've got to make myself one of those. Nice.
need to add a b'noc mount to my spotter/ rangefinder homemade deallie..... a triple optics mount would one-up ya.....grin

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire