Home
Now that Leupold and others stopped making them, they now seem to be a hot item and being sold at ridiculous prices. With rifles now having SS finished barrels there seems to be a strong market for silver finished scopes. Swift still makes them but not sure if any other scope manufactures do.
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ
Prolly for this same reason, I have about 35 " Dark finish" vs only 1 silver.
Mfgs make what sells. It ain't rocket surgury.
I assume the fact that they look gay was a big deciding factor
I liked the gun metal grey scopes Leupold used to make. I have one on my .280 with brown/black HS Precision stock and kinda wished I had bought a couple more. Personally I thought the silver scopes looked fugly. I have one stainless barreled rifle and like the look of a black scope on it.
Originally Posted by Bater

Yeah, probably this.
Originally Posted by Craigster
Mfgs make what sells. It ain't rocket surgury.

This
I never saw the appeal in having a scope that looked like it was painted silver sitting on top of a hunting rifle. I guess a lot of guys agree with me. If silver scopes are a small seller, then it’s an easy way to reduce cost because I’m sure there’s more expense in maintaining two colors than going with just black.
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Now that Leupold and others stopped making them, they now seem to be a hot item and being sold at ridiculous prices. With rifles now having SS finished barrels there seems to be a strong market for silver finished scopes. Swift still makes them but not sure if any other scope manufactures do.

A lot of SS rifles doesn’t mean at all that there’s a strong market for silver scopes that kinda-sorta match in color. Add yet another shade of silver (or two) with rings and bases, and the color-match fail worsens. Style (?) aside, as someone who usually hunts in close cover, I always thought that adding a big, light-colored, usually shiny doodad on top of my rifle was just making it harder to move without getting busted, the same reason I remove the quiver full of brightly-fletched arrows from my crossbow (live and learn) when sitting or sneaking.

Just as with any other option such as reticle style, more choices add to cost or lower profit margins, so scope makers have been steadily paring them down to what sells the best, or maybe what they think will distinguish their line from the gazilion others out there. Silver didn’t make the cut. The high prices of used ones isn’t because there’s a big demand, but because the supply is limited, and enthusiasts will pay it.

I kinda' like the silver scopes on SS rifles. I even have one on a SS 270......... blush

One thing I like is at low magnification with both eyes open the lighter finish of silver scopes one doesn't see the dark ring of the tube that is present with anodized scopes.

Silver scopes don't show bright scratches, either.
They are made for 270 rifles
Originally Posted by rj308
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ

Pretty good summary

That color-combo is kinda where I landed myself, after a few false starts. My Knight inline is SS, but nitrided, so no stylistic decisions need to be made. Wish more were like that.
I'm not sure that there is much of a market for silver scopes. One thing that I think killed that market is that almost none of them very well matched the stainless finish of a rifle. Personally, I like better, the looks of [b]black optics and rings, on my stainless rifles. RJ
[/b]

Ditto
When hunting up on Brokeback Mtn it would be nice to have something in a tasteful pastel or perhaps a rainbow motif for the bolder statement. We are neglecting a whole segment of the population.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
When hunting up on Brokeback Mtn it would be nice to have something in a tasteful pastel or perhaps a rainbow motif for the bolder statement. We are neglecting a whole segment of the population.

laugh

You didn't mention the flame stocked .270... blush

DF
I like them on a stainless rifle to a point then I decorate them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

never cared for them, they rarely match the rifle, or the rings, sitting there with three different "silver" finishes a lot of the time. Always looked tacky to me.

Pretty much I bought one in a compact version and had it cerakoted matte black

This is the best thing I've seen on the internet today.
They look like chrome plated turds.
I see that they are still fairly popular with the French CDNs on their stainless Browning Medalions.
They bring high dollars over on ebay. Thank god people there like leupolds too. Ive sold leupolds and silver scopes that were on rifles I bought. Damn near for as much as I paid for the rifle and scope together. The last one I did that with was a Ruger m77 mkII with a silver leupold 3-9×40. Sold that sucker on ebay for $325.00. That means I only have $175.00 into the rifle now. Ill search out deals like that.
Because they are nasty, and no one wants them.
Originally Posted by BillyE

Yeah, probably this.

Then why are they still building 6.5 Creedmore rifles?
I’ve never seen one in person. Might scare me!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They bring high dollars over on ebay. Thank god people there like leupolds too. Ive sold leupolds and silver scopes that were on rifles I bought. Damn near for as much as I paid for the rifle and scope together. The last one I did that with was a Ruger m77 mkII with a silver leupold 3-9×40. Sold that sucker on ebay for $325.00. That means I only have $175.00 into the rifle now. Ill search out deals like that.

Buddy does the eBay thing with the scopes. Says same thing....huge draw for those silver scopes and makes a killing flipping them.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
They look like chrome plated turds.

Originally Posted by SuperCub
I see that they are still fairly popular with the French CDNs on their stainless Browning Medalions.

Wow SuperCub, you are So mean!
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Yeah, probably this.

The world may never know
Send your black scopes to Shaen Precision Rifles and have them Cerakoted silver.

Just don't tell him I sent ya!
Because they're ugly.
Originally Posted by DeoVindice
Because they're ugly.

So they went down the same road as Ruger #3s?
What’s a silver vari x 3-9 compact worth?

Let me get this straight. I will be hunting with a silver colored scope gleaming in the sun for what animal???
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Because they're ugly.

The No. 3 is plain, but not offensively ugly (at least in my opinion).
Because they're ugly.

Nah, they're ugly.
Because they're ugly.

Nah, they're ugly.

To each their own. I don't own one, no sweat off my back.
Originally Posted by AKduck

Buddy does the eBay thing with the scopes. Says same thing....huge draw for those silver scopes and makes a killing flipping them.

Say hello to my $175.00 30-06...
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Let me get this straight. I will be hunting with a silver colored scope gleaming in the sun for what animal???

There are so many things gleaming in the sun out there that a silver scope would be the least of worries.......
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

There are so many things gleaming in the sun out there that a silver scope would be the least of worries.......

Funny post not all things gleam like silver and any glinting immediately gets the attention of most game animals.

Yeah, probably this.

I've never seen a 6.5 Creedmore, tell me more.
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

Yeah, probably this.

I've never seen a 6.5 Creedmore, tell me more.

Same, I'd like to know moor.
Say hello to my $175.00 30-06...

Would have been worth another $100 without any scope at all. smile
I have stainless/silver scopes on blued rifles and vise versa. I could care less if the scope is decent. I'm beyond trying to impress anybody. The shiny silver scope draws attention from the synthetic stock.
My brother's; anybody wanting to get rid of one of those nasty Leupold Vari -XII silver 4 x12 scopes , hit me up with a pm.
© 24hourcampfire