Home
Posted By: codybrown Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/18/20
Aside from reticle choices, illumination options, and power range, is there a whole lot of difference between the 2 lines? Difference in glass? Is the NXS built better? I've searched all the threads and didn't find what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by codybrown
Aside from reticle choices, illumination options, and power range, is there a whole lot of difference between the 2 lines? Difference in glass? Is the NXS built better? I've searched all the threads and didn't find what I was looking for.

Theres been a few threads on this subject. They all say the same thing.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/18/20
The difference in price should be a clue.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/18/20
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/Search/true/nf-shv-vs-nsx#Post15306645

Thread from about a month ago.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/18/20
Difference is they are BOTH overrated?
Originally Posted by adam32

What a clueless fu ck...^^^
Posted By: horse1 Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/19/20
I have several of both the 2.5-10x42 and 3-10x42. I see no difference in optical quality. I haven't experienced any difference mechanically whether dialing or upon initial sight in.

The NXS has a red or green (easily changed by holding down the "on" button) illuminated reticle.

The NXS models I have are equipped w/exposed turrets and zero stop

The NXS has 20MOA/spin vs. the SHV's 10MOA/spin.

I hunt them interchangeably. In the open country I hunt the Illum reticle is a non-issue. The zero stop is handy as is the 20MOA/spin but none of those are deal makers/breakers for me.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/20/20
https://riflescope-review.com/a-comparison-of-the-nightforce-shv-vs-nxs-scope-models/
Posted By: codybrown Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/20/20

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/20/20
I have an SHV 3-10X42 and an NXS 2.5-10X42. My preference for pure hunting would be the SHV for the reticle (Forceplex) and the covered turret. I just don't dial that much hunting, so it's no a big issue, and the Forceplex is better suited for heavily wooded areas.

Different circumstances would probably lead to a different preference, but for where and how I hunt, that's my choice. The illuminated reticle of the NXS is very usable in the dark woods, but I just know the battery will give out on me at the wrong moment, that's just my luck. I do wish the SHV had the zero stop like the one the NXS has. In my book, that'd be perfect!
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/21/20
I dont understand why they didn’t put a zero stop on the SHV 3-10x42. Really would it cost that much?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/21/20
I would prefer a zero stop and would pay a reasonable price for it. If anything just for peace of mind.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I would prefer a zero stop and would pay a reasonable price for it. If anything just for peace of mind.

I thought I had read here on the fire of an easy and cheap way to add a zero stop to them.....can't remember how it was explained.
Maybe someone will chime in with the procedure.
rookie
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/21/20
There is that method, but I would really like a properly designed-in stop.

Something like the Vortex Viper PST shim kit that came with that scope, where one could accommodate different loads with shims instead of cutting a new shim. Don't get me wrong, the DIY shims work, and is not something that keeps me from using an SHV, it's just that I feel that the scope design is 98% finished without a factory zero stop of some sort.

I have some Super-Chickens and use shim kits off Ebay for those, works great and costs something like $30.00.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/21/20
I've got a method that works fairly well for them but still not the same as a well designed zero stop.

Tract did a really good job with their design for a hunting scope. Something like it would be excellent on the SHV but has limited adjustment.....of course if they did a ZeroStop like the NXS would be perfection.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/23/20
I shot my first deer with a 2.5-10x42 NXS the other day, was very close to dark in an open field and the MOAR reticle leaves a lot to be desired. I honestly think my VX3 Leupolds are brighter, for what it's worth.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/23/20
I have/had three NXS scopes, two with MOAR and one with IHR and without illumination the reticle's are very difficult to see at last light. I agree with CFVA that my experience with Leupold VX3's are they are just as bright, if not brighter, than the 2.5-10x42 NXS. The NXS scopes maintain zero once set and I have not been able to say the same for most of the many Leupolds I have had.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Nightforce SHV vs. NXS - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by adam32

What a clueless fu ck...^^^

33,000+ posts and you still don't have a clue.

Laffin.

Hint.
© 24hourcampfire