Home
Vari x iii 3.5-10x50. Power selector ring is VERY hard to adjust. Any suggestions???
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/21/20

Is the ring near the power selector? How much torque on the ring screws?
It is the actual power selector itself not a scope mount ring. It takes a helluva effort to adjust the power range from 3.5 to 10 and back

By design they’re not easy to move, do you have another Leupold to compare it to?
If your rear scope ring is close to the power selector you will have a tough time changing magnification. Back off the screws on the rear ring and try it to see if that is the problem.
I own 40 or more leupys. Never hadn't one do this and no the scope has plenty of clearance. Has. Even in safe since last deer season. Don't want to put any type of lubricant on jt
How does it turn when not in rings?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
It is the actual power selector itself not a scope mount ring. It takes a helluva effort to adjust the power range from 3.5 to 10 and back

I know this and the ring close to the power selector torqued really tight is known to cause your problem
Same way. In or out of rings
Posted By: drover Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/21/20
This is a no-brainer. Pack it up and send it back to Leupold with a note explaining the issue and they will fix it.

drover
Posted By: gunzo Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/21/20
Leupold will fix it.

But yes, some are tight. Loosening the rear ring didn't help mine. No visible or measurable damage to the tubes. Some are looser than others right out of the box.
Hate to have to send it back but probably will.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/22/20
I have the same scope except a 40 and mine is hard to turn also. Sent it in a couple years ago for another issue and added the power ring also. Came back with main issue repaired and they sated they did a complete tune up but the power ring is still harder to turn than other leupolds I have.
Thought about putting a throw lever on it but don't think the ring has enough bite to grip the lever.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Hate to have to send it back but probably will.

I sent one back years ago for the power ring. Wasn't much better when it came back.
"I sent one back years ago for the power ring. Wasn't much better when it came back."

I've had the same experience with a VXI 2x7. I think it's just the nature of the beast. The only time I've been disappointed with Leupold factory service.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Leupold power ring question - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by Labman95
"I sent one back years ago for the power ring. Wasn't much better when it came back."

I've had the same experience with a VXI 2x7. I think it's just the nature of the beast. The only time I've been disappointed with Leupold factory service.

I’ve got the same scope and it’s one of the tightest I’ve ever had. I set it and forget it anyway so it’s not really an issue.
Originally Posted by Labman95

The 2-7's have always had a stiff magnification ring. I've had every generation of the 33mm 2-7's and the late production VX-2's were a bit better than previous 2-7's.
© 24hourcampfire