Home
Why did Leupold stop making their VX-R model scope? My hunting buddies and I have them on our deer rifles and love them. They are very clear. Ilumintated, work great durring low light, 30mm tube. Just a great scope. They are now being sold at "crazy high prices" on ebay and hunting forums. Is Leupold making an equivilant scope?
Probably because they worked well...

PS, Leupold has "lost its mind."
End of 2019.
They added a few 30mm tubes in the VX-Freedom line with illumination. Tried one- it was ok, but not in the same class as the VX-R.
Some models are still available online through dealers that still have some.
The 2-7x33 is probably the most difficult to find. I searched quite a while and finally found one on a gun on Armslist. The seller agreed to sell and ship the scope separately
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad is right on. Another great American company gone to crap.
The same with their silver finished scopes. Sellers are getting crazy prices for these scopes..

Originally Posted by andrews1958
Why did Leupold stop making their VX-R model scope?

Which leads to the corollary question - why did they stop making the VX-L?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Why did Leupold stop making their VX-R model scope?

Which leads to the corollary question - why did they stop making the VX-L?

Which leads to the questions...
How do you build in Oregon and compete with the rest?
But but but

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by EdM

By paying less than industry standard wages in exchange for employee product discounts?

This^^^..........
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by EdM

By paying less than industry standard wages in exchange for employee product discounts?

That's pretty much how the whole outdoors industry works, isn't it?
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by EdM

That's pretty much how the whole outdoors industry works, isn't it?

Gotta think so.
Any recomendations on a similar scope?
They hired Remington product managers, the guys that were in charge of their cartridge line.
Any recomendations on a similar scope?

I bought a Burris with an illuminated #4 3-9x40 and find it to be every bit the optical equal of my VX3. Think it may have been a limited run and was an absolute steal of a deal from Natchezss.
Why did Leupold stop making their VX-R model scope? My hunting buddies and I have them on our deer rifles and love them. They are very clear. Ilumintated, work great durring low light, 30mm tube. Just a great scope. They are now being sold at "crazy high prices" on ebay and hunting forums. Is Leupold making an equivilant scope?

Pm sent

Fair enough analysis. I believe they've also dropped the Long Range Duplex reticle also. It continues to be a useful option for my kind of hunting.
Originally Posted by JPro

Fair enough analysis. I believe they've also dropped the Long Range Duplex reticle also. It continues to be a useful option for my kind of hunting.

And replaced it with that breathtakingly stupid "Tri MOA".......
They quit making them? I have a 4X12 illuminated. My favorite hunting scope.
that sucks, really enjoying my 3-9 vxr this season, midway had them on sale earlier this year. I let my 9yo shoot my gun the other evening and now he wants one on his gun. I was counting points on a buck 10 minutes after shooting light at 100 yards with it the other day. Scope could definitely get you in trouble.
@OP, I agree. The VX-R's were good scopes.

Like three years ago when they more than doubled their Custom Shop retrofit prices, unannounced. And then later in the year closed the Custom Shop all together... <smh>
Originally Posted by EdM

The issue is not Oregon. The issue is quality control. Some very fine scopes come from the east. I own more Leupolds than all of my other scopes combined, but i'm pretty much weaned myself from them. the last two I purchased, a VX3-i 3.5X10X40 tracks perfectly (or at least when you correct for windage and elevation0 but another straight 4X I purchased, i was 1" low so I clicked up four and the next group was three inches high above the bull (so it moved 4"0. Total bullshit.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by JPro

And replaced it with that breathtakingly stupid "Tri MOA".......

+1

Love the LRD, but the "Tri MOA" is indeed breathtakingly stupid.

Leupold even ditched the very good B&C reticle, as well as cheapening the appearance/manufacture of the VX3 line, while discontinuing the great VX2 line in favor of the cheap looking, tacti-cool "Freedom" scopes. And man, I'd love to know what genius came up with that sophomoric name...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by EdM

The issue is not Oregon. The issue is quality control. Some very fine scopes come from the east. I own more Leupolds than all of my other scopes combined, but i'm pretty much weaned myself from them. the last two I purchased, a VX3-i 3.5X10X40 tracks perfectly (or at least when you correct for windage and elevation0 but another straight 4X I purchased, i was 1" low so I clicked up four and the next group was three inches high above the bull (so it moved 4"0. Total bullshit.

Typical Leupold tracking errors is why I left them long ago

I was needing something along the lines of another VX-R recently, and wound up finding a shop that had the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mil-dot for a good discount ($570). Will soon see how it stacks up against the VX-R 3-9x40.

Leupold has made some inexplicable moves recently.

I understand the whole long range thing and why they are getting into that, but to drop the B&C reticle from the 2.5-8, and the LRD reticle from most of the scopes is beyond me. That's simply abandoning a LOT of hunters out there.

And than there is the custom shop debacle.........

I understand the whole long range thing and why they are getting into that, but to drop the B&C reticle from the 2.5-8, and the LRD reticle from most of the scopes is beyond me. That's simply abandoning a LOT of hunters out there.

I suppose I sensed where Leupold was headed, so stocked up on scopes I wanted over the last 4 or 5 years. Glad I did.
I just bought a used vx r on eBay last week. I wanted a duplex reticle and firedot. It was a hard scope to find
I really like my VX-R. For a 3-9 set-it-and-forget-it hunting scope, it’s a great scope. The Firedot illumination is excellent.
Ain't there a Freedom with Firedot now? I thought there was a memo recently...
Leupold reminds me of a dying business. I used to enjoy looking at their web site, but no more as one never knows what is current info. I think the Fire Dot 4 reticle they had for the 3-9x40 version was a good one and wish I had kept mine.
I really wish I had known about these on sale at Midway. What did the 2 x 7 and 3 x 9 go for? What was the original street price? Did these have better glass than the current VX3i scopes?
VXR & VX3 glass compares very closely.
Midway has some factory refurbished VXR scopes for sale - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018104598

Edit to add; There's only 4 left. These special offers usually sell out pretty quickly.
Originally Posted by skeen
Midway has some factory refurbished VXR scopes for sale - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018104598

factory refurbished doesn't instill lots o9f confidence.
Originally Posted by skeen

Edit to add; There's only 4 left. These special offers usually sell out pretty quickly.

Gone...
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
VXR & VX3 glass compares very closely.

I have two VX-R’s and love them. Excellent performance in every aspect. At the last NRA show I attended, I asked the Leupold reps where the R stood “quality wise” with respect to their product line. The rep stated the R series was generally between the VX-2’s and 3’s. I was astonished, as I put it dead even with the VX-3’s in performance.
The vx freedom is not in the same class as the vxr. The turrets are crap.
The impotent bean counters kill things without looking ahead. I agree that they look like they are about to go under. Be Well, RZ.

Yep
There is one on EBay at present that I made an offer on. The seller countered at $385 & I passed. This was in the last :15 so likely available at that price if you deem it worth the $.
It is crazy what they are going for in price. I bought 3 of them years ago when they first came out . They have dubbled in price.
Now they’re called “VX-3HD”
Originally Posted by BillyE

Yes except the new reticle sucks
What is considered an equal from another scope manufacture ? Burris? Zeiss?
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Originally Posted by BillyE

Yes except the new reticle sucks

That’s what Leupold does best.
There are still some out there.

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...iredot-duplex-22-10-4-4-1-3-7-matte.html

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...mm-illum-firedot-duplex-black-matte.html

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...llistic-firedot-reticle-black-matte.html

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...luminated-firedot-spr-reticle-matte.html

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...istic-firedot-21-5-10-4-9-3-7-matte.html
hard to find a current alternative to the vxr
EVERYTHING is about money. Whatever it was, it was based on the idea that doing so would either make or save money. They will futz around like this until the wheels fall off, and if that happens, they’ll reinvent the brand or sell it off.

I’ve switched to Burris, SWFA for some applications, and am experimenting with Trijicon. That’s about money too, either saving it or getting good value for it, maybe both.
They made so much money on the VX-R line that their tax rate actually went up. At the advice of their accountants they discontinued it in order to reduce profits, or something like that.
Cmon! Lol
Originally Posted by 30338
They made so much money on the VX-R line that their tax rate actually went up. At the advice of their accountants they discontinued it in order to reduce profits, or something like that.

laugh laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by 30338

laugh laugh

That's so idiotic it's probably the truth!
SWFA had a 3-9x40 last night in the sample list.
Cleaned out my safe and found three VX-Rs. I do not plan on selling them any time soon as they are doing better in % gains than my 401k
I bought one to try out
They figured adding the word Freedom to their scope lines would make people think they are not kgunts.
The bottom line is that the VX-R didn't sell well enough to be profitable. Everyone loves them now that they are gone but didn't love them enough to buy them when they were in production. Very typical of us consumers.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The bottom line is that the VX-R didn't sell well enough to be profitable. Everyone loves them now that they are gone but didn't love them enough to buy them when they were in production. Very typical of us consumers.

Eat a bag of digks, Paul

I suppose I sensed where Leupold was headed, so stocked up on scopes I wanted over the last 4 or 5 years. Glad I did.

Me too, Brad. But none of those I stocked up on were Leupolds. Happy Trails
I took possession of a 3-9x40 this week. I’m not sure what it will be going on but I like the features. The reticle is a regular duplex with a red dot in the center. It appears to have 6 or 8 intensity levels or dot sizes. It’s easy to use as you just push a button until it is the brightness you desire. A clear scope with nice eye relief which is expected. It probably will take a box if ammo to sight the damn thing in. Lol . I’m not dialing it after it’s zeroed
© 24hourcampfire