Home
Posted By: slm9s Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/05/21
My go to elk scope is the Leupold vx6 2-12 with the illuminated long range duplex (which they don't make anymore). I just ran across this Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 with illuminated "Ballistic E3" reticle. 20 ounces, 1 inch tube, illumination with a holdover reticle - checks a lot of boxes for my needs. 3-15 is about the perfect power range IMO, I wish my VX6's were 3-15. I rarely dial when hunting, but it has locking turrets with zero stop. If these have 'very good' or better glass they sound like a great hunting scope.
Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022349512?pid=742572
I think they are coming from one of the better Chinese factories.
I'm interested, too. I saw them on Doug's post about Burris deliveries, & thought that's about the only one that kinda interests me. I'm still not a fan of the size or weight, nor necessarily the price. If it got me Japanese (or at least Phillipine) glass instead of Chinese, though, I'd probably consider it worth it.

I really like what they did with their German 3P#4 reticle, & would like to hope this one was as well-executed.

FC
I’d buy a 30mm tube scope
Originally Posted by slm9s
My go to elk scope is the Leupold vx6 2-12 with the illuminated long range duplex (which they don't make anymore). I just ran across this Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 with illuminated "Ballistic E3" reticle. 20 ounces, 1 inch tube, illumination with a holdover reticle - checks a lot of boxes for my needs. 3-15 is about the perfect power range IMO, I wish my VX6's were 3-15. I rarely dial when hunting, but it has locking turrets with zero stop. If these have 'very good' or better glass they sound like a great hunting scope.

I cant imagine the glass would be as good as the VX6 you have. Ive owned Burris scopes across their line and to my eyes, their glass is always lacking. Its the biggest thing that keeps me away from these scopes.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/06/21
Where are they made?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/06/21
Originally Posted by Fotis
Where are they made?

China
Posted By: Fotis Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/06/21
YUK! and POOP!
Your VX6 is available in a 3-18...............
Posted By: efw Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/06/21
Originally Posted by Cluggins
I think they are coming from one of the better Chinese factories.

That made me chuckle
Posted By: fjlee Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/07/21

I recently got a nice new Burris Signature HD 3X-15X by 44 MM with DUPLEX reticle. Not illuminated. Burris part # 200532.

It's made in China, it says.

It hasn't yet been mounted on a rifle.

I'll probably initially put it on my quality bolt action .22 rimfire first. Then shoot it a lot. This to get a preliminary idea of tracking, exact eye relief/eyebox ........that sort of thing. Then it'll go on a Tikka T3x 30-06 with steel WARNE rings.

Az/el click adjustments seem crisp...no slop, backlash, or wiggling. Focusing the reticle against the bright blue sky was easy and pleasant......with lottsa contast and very sharp black black reticle.

The parallax adjustment knob does NOT have any "range graduations".....guess I'll hafta add my own.

I wouldn't mind if it weighed 4-6 ounces more....out-of-box without rings or scope caps it weighs honest 19.4 ounces. This scope when mounted on my Tikka will give an overall weight of the total package with sling and 4 shells of about 9 pounds 8 oz.

Right at my target weight.

I have not sat down in various light situations etc....to analyze the glass. But crude preliminary observations...the glass is at least as good as the average of
other scopes in this price range...and probably somewhat better. But that judgement will hafta wait 'til the time/environment is just right.....and I'm no "glass expert".

I'm really really hoping it tracks really really good. I've had many scopes that didn't track good, and that's no fun. This is my first BRAND NEW scope in 6-7 years.

Now I need Sierra and Nosler to put some .30 caliber hunting bullets on the shelves.

FjLee
Chinesium garbage perpetrating
Posted By: slm9s Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Your VX6 is available in a 3-18...............

I don't think they made it with the illuminated long range duplex though. I had one with the windplex, if it was the LRD it would have been close to perfect IMO.
Posted By: JGray Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 01/07/21
I bought one of the new Chinese Signature HD 2-10x's and the first time shooting it, a single 1/4 moa click resulted in a 2 moa POA change. It did settle in on the next shot, but minor adjustments do result in erratic POA movements both horizontal and vertical for the next shot following adjustment (I got rid of most of my Leopold scopes for the same reason). The turrets are nice but the scope is worthless for dialing...
Posted By: Fotis Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 03/23/21
Damn!
Leupold VX-5 is available in 3-15.

I have a few older USA made Burris scopes that have given me great service over a lot of use and a lot of rounds. I've read mostly positive things about their Philippines made scopes, but don't own any. It's a shame they seem to be moving more and more lines to China. They might well be good, serviceable scopes, but I don't care to support the cause any more than is absolutely necessary. A few friends are running Korea made Bushies on rigs they don't care to have a lot tied up in, and they are reporting good luck with them, so it's probably the way I'd lean if I were in the market for something at that price point.

I am interested to see what becomes of the "standard" 1" hunting scope. The VX freedom seems to be a cheap replacement for the VX 1-2 and Redfield lines. The seemingly very tough Japan built Weavers and 1" Bushnell elites are gone. Japanese Nikons were gone sometime back and now all Nikons are gone. You'd think there would be a bit of a niche opening in the market right now for tough, 1" scopes.
I bought one of the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44's a couple weeks ago. Put it on my 6.5 CM and zeroed it at 100 yards. Next trip out started off at 400 yards, just dialed in the drop per the dope card and was right in the middle. As for the scope, it is very bright - has pop like a VX-5, very clear actually has me wondering why I even took my spotting scope. The duplex reticle is sized more like the standard Leupold duplex instead of the huge duplex in the VX5. I have owned CDS scopes and BDC reticles and this scope with a nice simple duplex, turrets that are big and easy to see, easy to adjust and accurate is my favorite. Has the Burris forever warranty if it is ever needed. For the price there are very few scopes that compare. I like the scope so much that I ordered a second from Doug. I now have 2 for the price of a single VX5. Only problem is that it is made in China. But so are my shoes, socks, underwear, pants and tee shirt that I am currently wearing.......and probably the computer I am typing this on now.
Posted By: NZSika Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 03/27/21
Ive just ordered an open box Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 duplex from Doug. Am not worried about where they are made. The Chinese technology can be very good and they can do stuff that no other manufacturing country can. And I don't expect Burris would punt on a dog of a scope or supplier. Or Doug. But we will see. If they perform to spec they are outstanding value.
I think you will be impressed. I dialed mine up to 575yards last weekend and shot a few rounds. Right on with my dope card. Dialed back to 100 and put a shot right in the middle. Very nice sub $500 scopes.
Posted By: JGray Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 04/08/21
That makes me wonder if the 3-15x has different internals than the 2-10x. The turrets look identical but my experience with the 2-10x was very different. I'm glad yours is working for you - the Signature HD's have some nice features for the price...
I just cannot believe a $500 price tag for anything made in china. That scope probably cost burris $7 to build over there 😁
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I just cannot believe a $500 price tag for anything made in china. That scope probably cost burris $7 to build over there 😁

Then somebody in America made some good $ from me. I think it's pretty typical for the price to increase (double?) several times from manufacturer to distributer to retailer no matter where the product is made or what the product is.
Posted By: fjlee Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 06/08/21

I just exchanged email with Burris, regarding a question I had regarding the Signature HD 3x-15x x 44 scope, Plex reticle, part number 200532.

I asked about the reticle...was it etched glass or a wire? Burris said it was etched.

If that's true, I guess it surprises me. Tho I'm not a reticle expert, I always thought an etched-on-glass reticle was usually a mark of a higher priced
and/or higher quality scope.

Has anyone else in the group researched that specification? Conclusion?

As a rule of thumb, is etched reticle better, or more reliable....or what?? Or marketing ploy...or even possibly sometimes a lie?

FjLee
Most airgun rated scopes are etched. Whatever the reticle is in the Burris Signature HD's it is nice and sharp.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 06/14/21
Is the illumination adjustment on the side I assume? Can’t find a pic anywhere of that….
Posted By: Kbass Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 06/15/21
On the fullfield 1V its on the side of the parallax adjustment.
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by slm9s

I cant imagine the glass would be as good as the VX6 you have. Ive owned Burris scopes across their line and to my eyes, their glass is always lacking. Its the biggest thing that keeps me away from these scopes.

And I bet the illumination would also be lacking.

I've been unimpressed by what Burris offers as "illumination". I'd rather they offered the scope without the extra weight or cost of their "illumination", because I don't find it to be usable.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 06/17/21
[/quote]

And I bet the illumination would also be lacking.

I've been unimpressed by what Burris offers as "illumination". I'd rather they offered the scope without the extra weight or cost of their "illumination", because I don't find it to be usable.[/quote]

They do offer it w/o illumination and to support the fact that quality optics are a personal thing, I think most Burris optics are very good for the price.
I guess I may be resurrecting an old thread here but I just joined this forum to respond to this post by saying I just purchased a Burris Sig HD in 3-15X44 ILL where the other scopes on my shortlist were Vortex's 4-16X44 Viper ($599) Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3HD ($749) and 4-16X42 VX5HD ($999) and for the price point?...was left unimpressed by Leupolds soft clicking turrets that actually felt mushy as compared to the others along with side focus hash marks on the VX5 that read 75yds when it was focused at a known 100yd object and speaking of side focus hash marks?...the lack of them on the Burris Sig HD was disconcerting to me until I picked up a $1,200 Zeiss Z4 5-25 and noticed it's SF had no hash marks either where I concluded if Leupolds SF hash marks could be off by 25%?...maybe it's not a great idea to use SF hash marks as an impromptu rangefinder anyways and that said?....the glass on the chinese made Burris Sig HD was actually awesome and I dare say rivaled the (twice the price) Loopy VX5 glass for brightness and edge-to-edge clarity and the EDC3 reticle of the Burris blew the others away in that I too believe it to be an "Etched Glass" reticle....it's just way cleaner looking in appearance and real easy on the eyes in what appears to be a real handy, user friendly layout.

I personally found the Illuminated crosshair feature to be awesome in that there's no "Staring Into The Deep Blue Sky" method of focusing the reticle/ocular necessary because I noticed that that little blurry red flare of a crosshair cleaned right up to a crisp edged + sign by simply focusing the ocular eyepiece which in turn brought the entire reticle into crystal clear focus.

I pretty much had my heart set on the Leupold VX5 and a knot in my gut as I walked into Bass Pro knowing I was getting ready to drop a grand on it but that knot in my gut went away as I confidently strolled out with my new Burris Sig HD and $500 to spare.

FWIW?...it's replacing a 30 year old Bushnell on a Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather (aka: "Boat Paddle") in .270win...weather permitting I'll put it through its paces this Friday including boxing it out and post the results here if y'all like.
Originally Posted by Marine77
I guess I may be resurrecting an old thread here but I just joined this forum to respond to this post by saying I just purchased a Burris Sig HD in 3-15X44 ILL where the other scopes on my shortlist were Vortex's 4-16X44 Viper ($599) Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3HD ($749) and 4-16X42 VX5HD ($999) and for the price point?...was left unimpressed by Leupolds soft clicking turrets that actually felt mushy as compared to the others along with side focus hash marks on the VX5 that read 75yds when it was focused at a known 100yd object and speaking of side focus hash marks?...the lack of them on the Burris Sig HD was disconcerting to me until I picked up a $1,200 Zeiss Z4 5-25 and noticed it's SF had no hash marks either where I concluded if Leupolds SF hash marks could be off by 25%?...maybe it's not a great idea to use SF hash marks as an impromptu rangefinder anyways and that said?....the glass on the chinese made Burris Sig HD was actually awesome and I dare say rivaled the (twice the price) Loopy VX5 glass for brightness and edge-to-edge clarity and the EDC3 reticle of the Burris blew the others away in that I too believe it to be an "Etched Glass" reticle....it's just way cleaner looking in appearance and real easy on the eyes in what appears to be a real handy, user friendly layout.

I personally found the Illuminated crosshair feature to be awesome in that there's no "Staring Into The Deep Blue Sky" method of focusing the reticle/ocular necessary because I noticed that that little blurry red flare of a crosshair cleaned right up to a crisp edged + sign by simply focusing the ocular eyepiece which in turn brought the entire reticle into crystal clear focus.

I pretty much had my heart set on the Leupold VX5 and a knot in my gut as I walked into Bass Pro knowing I was getting ready to drop a grand on it but that knot in my gut went away as I confidently strolled out with my new Burris Sig HD and $500 to spare.

FWIW?...it's replacing a 30 year old Bushnell on a Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather (aka: "Boat Paddle") in .270win...weather permitting I'll put it through its paces this Friday including boxing it out and post the results here if y'all like

For under $500.00 the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44mm - E3 MOA - Illuminated is a great scope that competes with scope much more expensive.

The versatility the Signature HD 3-15x44 scope shines for shooters needing bright, clear view sat a wide range of distances. The choice of either the Ballistic E3 Illuminated or Plex reticle delivers accurate shots both near and far. Precise side parallax focus, push/pull and zero-stop locking turrets give shooters complete control.

Mid-range scope in hunting and target models (low and high knobs)

• Choice of illuminated or non-illuminated MOA reticles
• 5x zoom system with premium, multi-coated glass for crisp, bright images
• New push/pull locking turrets
• Available with a wide choice of front and rear focal plane reticles
• Side parallax adjustment on most models
• Zero stop feature on all target knobs
People complain about China, but products like this are still made to company specs-no matter where the factory is.
I have a Leupold Vari X IIc 4-12X40 AO that I will trade for a Burris Signature HD 3-15x44.
$450 for a Chinese made Burris or $450 for a Philippines made Burris? Yeah the Veracity is heavier buts its also made better.
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...30mm-ballistic-e2-reticle-rfp-matte.html
I really appreciate the objective viewpoints being shared here along with insightful knowledge of factories happening to meet manufacturers requirements were build quality is concerned and overkill45..,honestly?… i’m not very familiar with Burris’s line of scopes and this is my first 1st hand experience with such and?…I’m not even sure that there was a veracity scope available at bass pro nor was I aware of them being more ruggedly built but I guess I lucked out in that the rifle this Sig HD is going on is a rather lightweight rifle and it’s my intent to keep it that way as “weight “ was a concern in my selection process but good to know about the veracity…I may consider one in the future for my DPMS Panther .308
Posted By: Huntz Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 04/06/22
Originally Posted by Overkill45
$450 for a Chinese made Burris or $450 for a Philippines made Burris? Yeah the Veracity is heavier buts its also made better.
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...30mm-ballistic-e2-reticle-rfp-matte.html

I bought two of the Burris Veracity scopes from Natchez.The focus ring on neither would turn,I could not focus them in for my eyes.One was FFF and the other 2nd.Natchez took them and gave my money back.Now I am reading on other forums that this is a common problem with the Veracity .I have had good luck with the FFII`s and probably would not buy any other model from them.
Ya know what?…both of the vortex’s I tried at the counter had tightened down ocular eyepieces as did the NIB Burris Sig HD I brought home all of which took quite the force to loosen from new…and then it spun like butter with what seemed a bit of excess lubrication…I think this is part of the final assy where they literally tighten the focus down hard to seal that lubricant for shipping purposes so the end user doesn’t open up a new scope where that extra lube leached out onto the lense?

Just a thought
Posted By: Huntz Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 04/06/22
Originally Posted by Marine77
Ya know what?…both of the vortex’s I tried at the counter had tightened down ocular eyepieces as did the NIB Burris Sig HD I brought home all of which took quite the force to loosen from new…and then it spun like butter with what seemed a bit of excess lubrication…I think this is part of the final assy where they literally tighten the focus down hard to seal that lubricant for shipping purposes so the end user doesn’t open up a new scope where that extra lube leached out onto the lense?

Just a thought

I had talked to a Burris Tech who said that is not right.Send them back.
Well this is my first effort at posting pix here so we'll see...or not! LOL! (in which case you can just click the linked images) but on with my mounting and range experience with my 3-15X44 Burris Signature HD scope as mounted on a Ruger "All Weather" (AKA:"Boat Paddle) chambered in .270win as mounted using Leupold 1"/High Mount/Offset Rings which I found a bit disconcerting as the front offset mount bridge appears to be on the ultra-wimpy side however?...me being a 35 year aerospace machinist I have faith in the fact that these rings are "Forged Steel" (and not just machined from standard billet./plate/bar stock) and the structural integrity that comes by way of the unified structural strength of rear mount, front mount and scope tube working in unison as an assembly but still?...LOL...however I imagine Leupold design engineers were looking to save the hunter ounces and that they did! LOL!...but the big points come by way of fit and ergonomics as I can now shoulder this rifle with closed eyes and when I open my right?....the scopes sight picture is right where it should be and it was these rings that gave me the adjustability necessary to achieve that....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bore-sighted it the old fashioned way by setting up on our dining table, removing the bolt and looking through the bore centering a spot (a light on our kitchen stove 12' away) in the bore then adjusted the scopes crosshairs to a spot 1.830" (my measured distance between scope and bore centers) above the light in the bore...granted it's a bo-bo method of bore sighting but it got me on paper at 50yds 1st shot 6 1/2"s low 1 1/2"s right using some old 140gr Silvertips where by shot #5 (guesstimating clicks with "about that many clicks" spins of the knobs) I was well centered and confident enough to move out to 100yds and start using my fresh bought Federal Premium 140gr Berger Hybrid Hunter Bullets and Winchester 130gr Deer Season XP Extreme Point Bullets and both grouped well in the 15-20mph gusting head-on winds holding 1"- 1 1/2" groupings though I did notice the Federal 140's grouped slightly to the left while the Winchester 130's grouped slightly to the right (for some reason...maybe) LOL

[Linked Image]

After slow fire doping both brands and bullet weights at 100yds?...I moved out to 200yds and was greeted by a 2" group of 3 shots using the Winchester 130gr Extreme Point Bullets which oddly enough seemed to group slightly better than the Federal Premium 140gr Berger Hybrid Hunter Bullets but the big takeaway here was the 200yd Hashmark of the Burris Sig HD BDC Reticle was spot-on! smile

[Linked Image]

And here's my mixed bag of pros and cons...

The Glass: on this scope is incredible despite it $500 price tag and at 15 magnification no spotting scope was necessary as hits were crystal clear at 200yds even to my old eyes....you'll be looking through $1,000+ scopes if you found better.

The Turrets: The clear & concise step-by-step instructions on Burris's website made using the High Mount Zero Stop Elevation Turret and the Low Mount Windage Turret straightforward and easy to adjust and zero out with true to size clicks of 1/4"@100yds adjustment.

The Illuminated Crosshair: Is obviously useless if you're a daylight hours only target shooter but a value added blessing for dawn to dusk hunters with 6 power levels but?....no auto-off feature.

Lense Covers: Apparently?...for $499.05 you don't get any but what you do get is?....

Burris's "FOREVER WARRANTY": which is Regardless of Owner Transferable, No Shipping or Repair Charges, No Registration, No Receipt & NO QUESTIONS ASKED and for that?...I'll go ahead and shell out for some Butler Creek lens covers rather than get a warm fuzzy over some cheesy included ones on bungee cords! LOL!

Hope you enjoyed the review as much as I enjoyed reviewing it! smile

No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 - 04/10/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.

The most hideous thing I see, is a scope made in CHY-NA mounted on a good old American made rifle

Originally Posted by 338rcm

The most hideous thing I see, is a scope made in CHY-NA mounted on a good old American made rifle

The offset ring is made by Leupold right here in good old America and the most hideous thing I saw was a $1,000 scope with mushy turrets made by the same folks who made my rings.

But ya know what folks?...this was my father's rifle...he died of pancreatic/kidney/bladder cancer at age 84 this past Oct. 20th 2021 ...not long after asking me to take all his guns and he was my best hunting buddy and also?...a very frugal man having been born in the Depression era and living a childhood during WWII...this scope replaced the $119 3-9X40 Bushnell (made in Korea) I mounted up for him about 30 years ago...I'd definitely buy the scope again....not sure I can say the same about the rings...and that's why America is where it's at today....greed.
After thinking about it I just felt compelled to add that when I ordered those Leupold Offset Rings?...The online pix of them (as offered by several dealers) was very confusing as it seemed they were depicted in a reverse position as though they were to extend the scope further forward so I called Leupold customer service/product support and they assured me te rings were in fact designed to bring the scope closer to the eye on ruger long actions and even though the online pix didn
t make sense?...they were taken at very flattering angles that DID NOT expose what we see here and it wasn't until they arrived in the clear plastic packaging that I was like WTH! shocked

First thought was I wasn't even going to waste my time or ring the finish of my new scope with them but being a 35 year aerospace machinist?....I actually began to see the method behind Leupolds madness as the huge difference here is that offset ring is not just milled from steel plate...it starts out life as a "Dogleg Forging" and while that bridge section is a scant .100" thick?...it's also only .125" in length...in essence?...it's a nub of forged steel that would sheer, crack or shatter before it bent and if the scope took a hard enough hit to break it?...chances are the ring is the least of your worry and the scope is probably trashed and while it certainly isn't a contestant in the beauty pageant?...the design dows offer much more clearance for insertion and ejection of cartridges as opposed to mounting up a one piece aluminum base rail to use standard ring sets...such is the curse of the ruger long action for short necked shooters.

BTW....I took this pic to make it look as ugly and non-flattering as possible because it kind of pissed me off that they pretty much did all they could to hide this reality in all the online pic of Leupold RM Offset rings but if there were a better option?...I'd jump on it.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire