Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Besides the weight factor, what are the best applications for this scope. Leupold 2.5X Ultralight.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
It has a lot of eye relief so it's easier for kids to use.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
It's a small and light scope for large targets at ranges 200 yds and less.

The illuminated SFP LPVO has about made it obsolete, except were size, weight and cost are critical factors. So it's utility is very limited, but useful where needed none the less.

IMHO and YMMV
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I'm pretty sure any deer I'd want to shoot would be in real trouble at 300 yards. grin
Posted By: okie john Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I've had a couple of them on ARs. I also like them for rifles that kick, or rifles that won't be used at ranges beyond about 250 yards.

Okie John
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm pretty sure any deer I'd want to shoot would be in real trouble at 300 yards. grin

Agree, and a “shooter” at a local club will wear out a 10 inch steel plate with a 3x at 300..........off hand.

With the right target....staying close to MOA out to 300 off the bench with a 3x isn’t difficult..
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I sometimes forget that lots and lots of people shooting today have almost no experience shooting with low power optics. I can regularly hit an 18 inch torso sized steel plate at more than 400 yards with a 2.5x scout scope.

Shooting from field positions is much easier with low powered optics than higher powered ones. You need just enough magnification to see the target and aim at it...no more.
Posted By: goalie Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I think it's perfect on my 45/70 GBSL. It is quick, has great eye relief, and doesn't throw off the balance of the rifle.

I only shoot deer in the woods, so we're talking under 100 yards.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Posted By: TxJW Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I used it in this setup for a light, fast handling, and short range gun.

Attached picture EA13CE0C-094A-474F-91E5-9A99AA6CDDE7.jpeg
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I have one on my Thompson Center Triumph muzzleloader and it is perfect for the less than 200 yards that I would use it. I also have one on a Winchester Model 70 in 35 Whelen that is to be my in the thicket black bear gun, if I was to ever decide to go black bear hunting.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Thanks for all the good feedback. I recently acquired a 2.5X leupold. Still trying to decide what to put it on. Was thinking possibly my 35 Whelen pre-64 Model 70 or 375 H&H Dakota 76.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I hunt in the east heavy woods. I would think its a perfect scope. Most guys in my club have 3 to 9 and leave it on 3
The full monte..... laugh

.22-250 to .50cal ML

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
I have one on my .450 Howell.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
My 12 year old grandson used what used to be mine but now his, according to him, Marlin 336 Texan with a 2 x Leupold in 30-30 to kill his first head of big game this year. An antelope at 125 yards.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Originally Posted by TxJW

What is that mount if you don’t mind me asking? I like that.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Lever action or any brush gun
Posted By: TxJW Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
That’s an AshleyPerformance.com mount. Very well made and designed for mounting scope low and forward of the hammer. Works as designed.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
It’s too bad they don’t give it a bit more tube length like the 3X

Leupold sent a note with my 3x’s...said you can go as close as 3/4 inch occular bell/tube juncture
...(Correction 3/4inch)

You seem to have to room to move back...

Posted By: Joezone Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Good scope in some conditions but it has its limitations. If you are hunting elk in an area where there are restrictions based on age/antler size it's not so good in timber. Hard to quickly connect antlers to bodies and make sure you are not shooting at a spike when they are not legal.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
It’s too bad they don’t give it a bit more tube length like the 3X

Addition: My error...After re-reading your post, i see you meant the 2.5x..
Posted By: North61 Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
It was a good choice for my son's first moose when he was 14. Ruger American 450 Bushmaster with a light long eye relief scope. Perfect! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vks-OUIeqps
👍
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
At one time I had 3 Leupold 2.5x. I had them on a .375 bolt, a 35 rem lever, and a 45-70 lever. They're a nice enough scope and plenty usable; however, I ultimately moved on due to the FOV being much more limited at 10-20yds than say a vxIII or vx3 1.5-5, which is what replaced them in my line up. The FOV on the 2.5 @ 100yds is 39.5 vs 68 for the 1.5-5 on 1.5. I'm not saying the 2.5 will technically ever cost you game as the FOV is still usable for close shots with good technique of keeping your eyes on the target while mounting your gun, but why have a straight tubed low x scope if you don't get a panoramic view when you toss it up for quick shots?

On a quasi related tangent: It's the main reason I never bought in to the scout scope concept. Why limit your FOV so severely on a rig ostensibly set up for quick shots on close, likely moving targets? I read the articles and the interweb threads back in the day, and all it resulted in was me becoming sceptical of the other assertions made by Mr. Cooper.

Right now my 375 bolt is scoped with an SWFA 1-6. It's a FFP with a doughnut at 1-1.5x. I find it much quicker to aim with it than any duplex I've used. Further, you crank it to 6x, and you have the fantastic Milquad to use for longish shots, of which the .375 is plenty capable. Seems it's a rare case in life when you can get more capability on both ends of the spectrum in which you might use a particular product; generally it's an exercise in trade offs and compromise.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
A firearm is as physically accurate with no sights as it is with any type of sight. How well the shooter can use a sight(s) is another thing. Some folks need a bolder reticle or more magnification and others don't.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21

Oops. Just saw you misinterpreted my post.
Posted By: Hal4son Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21

TxJW I like the low mount. What did you use for the base and rings?

ETA- needed to keep reading.

That’s an AshleyPerformance.com mount. Very well made and designed for mounting scope low and forward of the hammer. Works as designed.

Posted By: BC30cal Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
Sakohunter264;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that your part of the planet has decent weather today and that you and yours are healthy and well as can be these days.

As we've seen with a few of the other posters, it's a great scope for beginning shooters or for building something that might be needed to hit accurately in a timely manner with.

The one I've got was picked up in a trade and installed on our eldest daughter's 6.5x55 when she started hunting at age 10. After a few deer died with that combination and she became more and more comfortable shooting under pressure, I replaced it with a Leupold Compact 2-7.

No, that model of Leupold isn't the best one they every built in terms of relative brightness or generous eye box - but she still uses it to this day and the local bucks she's hit with it were just as dead.

When I pulled the 2.5 off of her Swede, I stuck it on a modified Marlin 336 that I was using for a camping gun at that time.

[Linked Image]

Honestly that little rifle really had be shot to be appreciated. To this day I don't believe I've shot it's equal for being able to hit something the size of a clay pigeon from 25yds to 100yds from standing offhand positions. It was a really slick and speedy combination.

I'd still own it today if a chap hadn't come by the house and after shouldering it a few times in the yard, began to lay the brown $100 Cdn bills on my work bench..... blush

The scope I did keep however, as they're proverbial hen's teeth up here across the medicine line.

As far as hitting stuff far away with one, for a good long time when I first moved to the mountains of BC I used a BBR '06 with a 3X El Paso Weaver mounted on it because it was relatively light, unobtrusive when back packing and apparently tougher than the previous scopes it replaced.

In front of witnesses I aimed for, shot and killed game as small as coyotes beyond 300yds. Now to be sure I shot that '06 a lot, had young man's eyes and all that worked together to, well work together quite well. wink

Someday I'll either put a boomer barrel on an Enfield action sitting in the safe or build another rifle for close in hunting and then the 2.5 Leupold will go on it. Or a grand kid's rimfire if grand kids ever happen.

All the best to you this year, stay safe and stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/09/21
One has graced my .45-70. I, like Starbuck, found the FOV of a 1.5-5 more appealing, but I appreciated the eye relief and pure ruggedness of the scope. I still have it so if the mood strikes.

Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Leupold 2.5x - 01/11/21
Just got one yesterday to go on a super light Kimber 358 Win build that will be used for brush hunting and tracking deer. Should be perfect for the intended use, and its as light as it gets for a scope. Mine is 6.8 oz with a Leupold Alumina objective cap.
© 24hourcampfire