Home
Came and went quickly it seems. Quality issues? ChiCom supply problems?
I bought one Terra, several years ago, at Cabelas, and took it back after the first range session with it.... quality was not good on the adjustments, and yes, the scope was properly mounted and torqued.

Eye relief was really bad.

I kicked myself for having bought it in the first place, but Cabelas kindly switched me out to another brand of scope.
It was a Terrable line of scopes.
Chi-com trash. Zeiss is a very disappointing company imho
Quak,

The Terra binoculars were made in China, Terra riflescopes in Japan.
Originally Posted by mathman
It was a Terrable line of scopes.

You are being Terrably funny!!
Originally Posted by hatari
Came and went quickly it seems.

Not fast enough. POS from the word GO.
I acquired one in a trade. It had parallax errors and I sent it back. It was replaced. The replacement seems to be spot on with clear optics and tracking to sight in and has held adjustment. I would not buy another but I’m quite impressed with this one.
Which model, and how is the eye relief? I've run across several at the range and disliked the eye relief on all of them.
3-9x42. I didn’t notice any eye relief issues.
I sent in some binos for repair, they said they couldn’t repair them so they sent me a set of 10x30 terras. They were ok, good glass. Sold them to my bil..best binos he’ll ever have.
Originally Posted by dh1
3-9x42. I didn’t notice any eye relief issues.

Same here. The 3-9x42 is just fine. I use one on my 300WBY. I did have a 4-12 that sucked balls though. Eye relief was terrible.
Ihave a 2x12 I think on a 300Win mag. No complaints at all. Been very reliable.
it was chinese and not that awesome that is what happened.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
it was chinese and not that awesome that is what happened.

Actually, the scopes were made in Japan.
I have a couple of those Terra scopes and both work pretty well or at least as well as they were intended to. One is on a .300 WM and holds zero nicely. The Zplex ranging system is too generic, however. It requires adjusting magnification to bring the scale to match your trajectory, which is difficult to explain if you have to lend your rifle to someone.
I had a couple 2-7X36 that were decent scopes.Eye relief was kind of short.
Big step down from the Conquest MC line it replaced. Like looking through a tunnel. Hard pass
Ive got one and the optical quality is quite brilliant.
I had an early terra scope and almost certain it was chinese. I could be wrong...but im almost certain
Originally Posted by Quak
I had an early terra scope and almost certain it was chinese. I could be wrong...but im almost certain

yes, Chinese
Every single Terra scope I have had or seen has been stamped "Japan"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Me too--and my first one was a VERY early 3-9x that Zeiss sent me for evaluation. I talked to them about at the SHOT Show when they introduced the Terra line, and it showed up at my home within a few weeks.

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x.. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/4" from 3x to 9x.

Maybe Zeiss started having later Terra scopes made in China, but the first were definitely from Japan.

They also sent me a 10x42 Terra binocular, which was made in China, and was pretty good.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/2" from 3x to 9x.

Those were my findings as well. The rendition of color -- at least to my eyes -- was slightly different, but the resolution in varied lighting conditions fully equaled the original Conquests.
Me too--and my first one was a VERY early 3-9x that Zeiss sent me for evaluation. I talked to them about at the SHOT Show when they introduced the Terra line, and it showed up at my home within a few weeks.

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x.. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/4" from 3x to 9x.

Maybe Zeiss started having later Terra scopes made in China, but the first were definitely from Japan.

They also sent me a 10x42 Terra binocular, which was made in China, and was pretty good.

So what happened to the line?
I've got a 4X12, and all it's ever been on are a couple of 223's. Has always worked great for my use. Japan made too.

I dunno about the line but I can tell you about that scope.....

JB sent it to me to try out...I did...

And gave it away as quickly as I could....POS that eye relief thing he mentioned was horrible.

Apparently it didn't sell well.
I have 2 terra 3x9x42 scopes. They are very serviceable for the type of hunting I do. I can honestly say since i mount all my own optics I likely encounter some eye relief issues with all my rifles at some point.

Since the fire is my source for all scope evaluations I guess my terras are my least desirable and would likely top any rifle I would gift to a young hunter looking to get started.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Every single Terra scope I have had or seen has been stamped "Japan"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yeah, me too. But I haven't bought a Terra in a couple years. I was thinking Doug usually knows his chidt.. Hmm. Did they start making them in China?
I have mine on a 300 win mag. Eye relief hasn't been a issue. I'm happy with it. The reticle works perfect. Entered in my loads to an online program Zeiss had. Was right on the money when I tested it
I have a pair of Terra 10 X 42 binoculars and I think highly of them, not best of the best but on par with my old Zeiss Classics.
That was my experience as well.

Binoculars have made a VAST leap in quality versus price in the past 30 years. While a lot of people still insist that a used "Alpha" binocular is a better buy than any newer non-Alpha brand, that has not been my experience. Today there are better $500 to $700 binoculars than any Alpha brand offered 25 years ago.
We were auctioning a pair of Zeiss Terra binos at an RMEF banquet. Bidding went well over $500. The guy who won the bid came to the checkout table and rather loudly proclaimed he was not paying that for China binos. They had been on display out of the box for hours. I think he was preoccupied with barley pops....
I purchased my first terra scope when they were first released, at $399.....years later I found myself needing a cheaper, serviceable scope and the terra had dropped to $239 at SW. That's when I picked up my 2nd terra, apparently zeiss was discontinuing the line. I keep all my scope packaging and both scopes are marked with "Japan".
© 24hourcampfire