Home
Posted By: arapahoe14 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Would any of you prefer a 10x fixed scope for big game hunting? I have an SWFA 6x42 on my deer rifle that I like a lot. The low price and reputation for durability convinced me to give it a try and I'm glad I did. Now I am considering a new rifle purchase and am wondering if a 10x scope could be worth a try.

What are some calibers/situations where you might prefer a 10x scope instead of a 6x?
Posted By: GregW Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Half my hunting rifles wear fixed 10's.....

Depends on the country but out west, a fixed 10 makes loads of sense....
Posted By: BillyE Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I’d be fine with fixed 10 if I knew I didn’t need to make any quick shots inside of about 100 yds. I don’t think I’d prefer 10x over 6 until shots were 200+
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
My fixed 10 is a Zeiss on a 722. I did the skip a line when I was a teen. That gun was a .222 for years until it shot out, now wears a .22-204 Hart.

In country where I hunt, I want a variable, 10 fixed too much.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Wp75169 Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I have both and the 6x is a hunting scope. The SWFA 10x sits on an AR-10, its great for longer range steel and hunting under a feeder.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
The 6x is a fine scope but the older I get, the more my eyes appreciate the additional magnification. Where I hunt, the 10x has not proven to be a detriment.

John
Posted By: Northman Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I have two S&B 10x42 PMII for my 223 and 308 Tikka Lite Stainless..

But I also have a Kahles 4x36 and 6x42 if I hunt in heavy forested areas.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by mcclure
What are some calibers/situations where you might prefer a 10x scope instead of a 6x?

Prairie dog shoot is the only hunting situation that I’d prefer a 10x to a 6x.
Posted By: elkrazy Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
What are the available fixed 10x scopes out there right now?
Posted By: TREE_EM Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I used to have a fixed 6x on one of my 270's and gave it up for a fixed 4x to increase my FOV. I have no trouble hitting the 12" plate at 400 yards with a fixed 4x. No dialing. No fancy reticle. Just sending a lot rounds down range each year from my rifles.

Unless you're shooting consistently beyond 400 yards there is no advantage to 10x on a big game rifle. If you're consistently shooting at big game beyond 400 yards, get closer.
Posted By: arapahoe14 Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by elkrazy

The SWFA SS 10x42 is the one that I am considering.

Originally Posted by TREE_EM
Unless you're shooting consistently beyond 400 yards there is no advantage to 10x on a big game rifle. If you're consistently shooting at big game beyond 400 yards, get closer.

That is sort of what I was suspecting, but I have been curious. I think that if I get the urge to go higher than 6x, I will probably just get a variable.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
A 10x wouldn't work well for me. I do have a 6x I like. A 2x10 or 3.5x10 would work for me and has in the past.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
my older eyes like a 10 power but i use a Nightforce scope 5 1/2 - 22 x56 set on 10 x or higher but a 56 over a 42 does see more too and it does help me see better.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Over the years have gravitated to higher magnifications for deer. Talking 25 to 400 yds. Early on used 2.5x, 3x, 4x. Later shot a bunch on 8x, 9x, 10x, and 12x. Couple reasons for the shift.

First, got over hurried shots at running animals. Not ethical for me.

Second, average 10k clay targets/annum got me comfortable shooting both eyes open. And better at accurately pointing targets or game animals.
Posted By: super T Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
Variable scopes are very popular for good reasons. They are useful in a variety of situations, up close and out yonder. Their optical quality is great, durability has improved as well. As much as I like fixed power scopes, I can't see why I'd buy another one for the hunting I do.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
My main elk rifle wears a fixed 10X. I used to think it was too much but after a few years with it I now don't think that is the case. It may bite me at some point but until then I'll continue to praise it. This is in the open west though. In tighter cover I still roll with a fixed 6X.
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I must drink too much coffee or something. Anything over 8x and I can't seem to keep the crosshairs steady. I have 2.5 - 10x Leupold; I shoot better groups when I dial back to 8x than I do at 10x. My other rifles wear fixed 6x, fixed 4x or a 2x-7x. I'm plenty happy with those.
Posted By: NWT Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I used a S&B 6X42MM on my Mod70 .270 Win for twenty years without a glitch. I also use S&B Zenith 1.5-6X 42MM on rifles for some of the larger magnums for elk & moose. The 1.5-6X42MM only weighs about 7 ounces more than the straight 6X. Had zero problems with the two S&B 1.5-6 one is new the other over twenty years and some pretty rough hunts. For hunting a 6X is pretty practical. For me the only advantage a straight 10X would have would be at the range working up loads. My take is a 2.5-10 or 3-9 in a quality scope like a S&B fits most hunting conditions, that is why they are so popular. I like the 6X but I am not one to change scopes on and off rifles for range and hunting use. Also the S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 is just short money more than the straight 6X. I also have a S&B Zenith 3-12x50 MM illuminated and a 1.1-4X24mm illuminated. I also like Leupolds and have used them on many of my most memorable tough conditions hunts without any problems.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/18/21
I like a 6. Elk and even deer are pretty big targets.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21

The SWFA 10x42 is an excellent glass. I have two. Very good for .22x calibers, 6.5 to 7mm range.

Great for open-country coyote hunting and ANY target or game past 200 yards.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by pete53
my older eyes like a 10 power but i use a Nightforce scope 5 1/2 - 22 x56 set on 10 x or higher but a 56 over a 42 does see more too and it does help me see better.

I’m really liking my Swarovski Habicht fixed 8x with 56mm and 30mm tube, 4A reticle.

You can really appreciate it under low light conditions. I typically keep my Z3 (3x10x42) set on 7-8 pwr when I’m hunting so the 8x fixed was a very easy transition and the 7 exit pupil is about ideal for me.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21
One of the scopes in my past that gave me some of the most consistent field shots on small critters was a 7.5x non-ao on a Sako Forester 243.

It had a great balance of zoom and FOV for that set up and application. Never needed more than 6x in woods, but the 7.5 worked great. In the field, as others mentioned, higher zoom amplifies your wobbles as we know, if you are not on a solid rest, and that can be counterproductive to placing shots at times.

I'd say deer to 400 and elk even further are well within capabilities of a quality 6x. But if more shots are at a distance and or smaller targets, an 8x or 10x FIXED can be a good thing.

As others mentioned, no downside to quality variables that top from 6-10x. I still use both.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21
I much prefer the SWFA 3x9 MQ on my hunting rifles these days.
Left on 6x until needed.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21
Had a fixed AO 10x on a varmint rifle. Liked it fine
Even on the few offhand closer shots

Not sure I could run it now though.
Posted By: TREE_EM Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by mcclure
Originally Posted by elkrazy

The SWFA SS 10x42 is the one that I am considering.

Originally Posted by TREE_EM

That is sort of what I was suspecting, but I have been curious. I think that if I get the urge to go higher than 6x, I will probably just get a variable.

Most of my hunting rifles wear variables. Something in the 2-7 or 2.5-10 gives the most versatility. I have a SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10 on my Barrett Fieldcraft .270 Win which is great glass for the money. I have no trouble hitting the 3" plate at 300 yards and the 12" plate at 600. It does get a bit fuzzy at top magnification as most scopes under $1500-2000 do so i stop at about 8- 9x when shooting distance. I recently put a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 MilDot Green on my other Fieldcraft .270 Win and I'm loving it so far. No batteries. No knob twisting. Just know the trajectory and holding over.

I recently acquired a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12x42 MOA-Dot Green. I love everything about it, except the weight. If I were pressed to have just one scope to use for everything, this would be probably be it.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/20/21
My primary “western” hunting rifle wears a S&B PMII 10x42. Lightweight, reliable, plenty of elevation on the turret, and simple.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/20/21
I have both 6x and 10x SS scopes. They are both fantastic, but for my old eyes, the 10x is better. I have used both at last light, near and far. They are equally good in that respect, but the 10x is a bit better, when developing loads. I have several other scopes that are good, but the fixed-power scopes take all of the guess work and decision as to what power you need, out of the equation.
Posted By: DBoston Re: 6x vs 10x fixed scope - 01/21/21
Even though I hunt some open country where game can be spotted over a mile away I don't think I have ever used any of my scopes set on 10x or even 9x much for hunting, paper yes, in the field no. For small rodents it might be a good choice. For me it amplifies how shaky I am and then trying to correct for it makes it worse. At less than 8x or less I can ignore it and concentrate on the shot.

I shoot with both eyes open so I can get on game fairly quickly even at higher magnification but the larger the field of view the easier and faster it is, I would not trade this huge advantage for higher magnification.
© 24hourcampfire