Home
Posted By: Judman SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
They really all that? Svelte, buck killas?? Fixed or variable? Pics appreciated...
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Bored?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
I know of a guy that will tell you all you need to know about em!
Posted By: goalie Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'm fairly certain he's counting on that.

I had a fixed 10x on my 50BMG for years with no issues. It was back when Larry was still touting fixed power Leupold scopes as the best thing ever.

They (usually) track reliably. Glass on the non HD is meh. Heavy as fuuck.

I'd rather go lighter for most hunting with better glass.

But, with a six power mil quad and and 8-month season, you could probably track down a monster fork like Larry posted in the 17 thread.......
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Some whack job on here apparently shoots a lot of fish with them🤷🏼‍♂️
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Jud,
My only experience is a 3-15. Almost can't see the reticle at 3, not the greatest optics or eyebox but I needed a scope that would dial reliably and it does.
Posted By: Wp75169 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
I’m a fan. The 5-20 does everything I need it to do. The fixed power scopes are great for their purpose. Not being able to see the subtensions on a FFP variable scope on low settings is pretty normal. You can still see the aim point fine. Are you holding wind or elevation on low magnification?

Their fixed 10HD is too expensive in today’s market. They sure are nice though.

If they would put HD glass and an illuminated dot in the 3-15 I think it would quickly become their top seller. No reason to do it though since they can’t keep what they make now in stock.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by Wp75169
I’m a fan. The 5-20 does everything I need it to do. The fixed power scopes are great for their purpose. Not being able to see the subtensions on a FFP variable scope on low settings is pretty normal. You can still see the aim point fine. Are you holding wind or elevation on low magnification?

Their fixed 10HD is too expensive in today’s market. They sure are nice though.

If they would put HD glass and an illuminated dot in the 3-15 I think it would quickly become their top seller. No reason to do it though since they can’t keep what they make now in stock.

Good post.

Too bad it was made over bait.
Posted By: beretzs Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
The 3x9 has worked well for me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

As has the plain old 6x’s

I like the 3x9 more though myself. A bit smaller and less bulk. The 9x is nice too.
Posted By: Bater Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
I run the 3-9 & 3-15 and for sub $500 scopes with solid guts for dialing, nothing even remotely comes close. I prefer some of my sfp scopes for timber pounding but the SWFA’s have a place
Posted By: sbhooper Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
I use the 6 and 10x, and they have been great. If you are worried about a few extra ounces on a rifle, then hit the damn gym! LMAO!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I use the 6 and 10x, and they have been great. If you are worried about a few extra ounces on a rifle, then hit the damn gym! LMAO!

Moreso than the few extra ounces the knobs stick way to far out to suit me in the field most of the time.
Posted By: goalie Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I like capped turrets for the hunting I do. The 6x is great for me on the .22, but not so great hunting thick stuff.

Plus, the weight isn't just the weight, it's how the rifle handles with that weight.
Posted By: rocky_mtn Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
I put an SWFA 6x42 on a light rifle and it felt weird at first, but I got used to it. I don't like the big turrets on a hunting rifle but I got over it.

Everyone I know who shoots a lot with them likes them.
Posted By: scoony Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
I have a 6x on a 223 and have a 3-9 that I loaned a friend while the rifle is at the gunsmith. I am worried that I will not get that 3-9 back. I also have a Nightforce. My next scopes will be a SWFA. Probably a 10x and a 3-15.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
if it wasn't such a waste of time got plenty of pics uploaded on this forum

vast majority of kills have been lrhs 3-12 the last 4 years but it's back to 3-9 land for myself
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I thought the same thing when I read the OP.
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

vast majority of kills have been lrhs 3-12 the last 4 years but it's back to 3-9 land for myself

Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

Nd, get the “postimage “ app, stupid easy and fast
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
The 3x9 has worked well for me.

As has the plain old 6x’s

I like the 3x9 more though myself. A bit smaller and less bulk. The 9x is nice too.

Lotta good groceries there Scotty. 👍
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/24/21
Forgot you asked for pics. This was a Demo and the previous owner had painted it so the price was very attractive.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: pointer Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
I'm a fan of the 3-9SS. I have two; each on Tikkas. They work well IME. Would like to add a 6X for the 22LR for the focus adjustment as my only compliant is the ability to focus close enough for the distances I use the 22lr at.
Posted By: 16bore Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
Lotta chum in the water....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
Sometimes you have to huck a whole chicken into the water with a big hook to catch anything.

SWFA scopes are ugly, glass class below average, and door knob handles made for trembling, arthritic hands.

Now, watch the bobber.

😜🦫
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
I've put a 3x9 HD on my RAR 8 twist .223 to use as an elcheap'o range gun. With the same sighting system on two Kimber Hunters..... I can spend a lotta time strafing steel plates while enjoying all the same scope controls and sight picture. They work very well and have so far been very reliable.

I have a 6X SSMQ on my Ruger HB .17HMR. It's a blast to shoot and the ability to dial parallax out at close range and dial come ups on distance makes the setup very useful.

I like the two SWFA versions I've worked with and can see me buying more.
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Sometimes you have to huck a whole chicken into the water with a big hook to catch anything.

SWFA scopes are ugly, glass class below average, and door knob handles made for trembling, arthritic hands.

Now, watch the bobber.

😜🦫

That’s about the best description I’ve heard so far. I ordered (1), one time, took it outta the box, looked across at a clearcut in from of the house, boxed it up sold er in the classifieds 😂😂😂
Posted By: Starbuck Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
ND:

Any particular reason you've decided to move away from the LRHS?
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Judman

Now, watch the bobber.

😜🦫

That’s about the best description I’ve heard so far. I ordered (1), one time, took it outta the box, looked across at a clearcut in from of the house, boxed it up sold er in the classifieds 😂😂😂

Yeah, they work best for those that venture out of sight of their pickup and actually shoot at stuff that is further out instead of those that care what the hell their scope "looks" like!

Go outside, you may find your water barrel is now full.
😂😂😂 you go Joey!!! Haha
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
One time I climbed 6,000 vertical

Got the ss classic on a 11 year old bull tahr and dumped it

Then yard sailed my ass down a scree slope

Then my buddy hammered a chamois shortly there after at 350

And then the next day I creased a 9 5/8” Cham at a 500

And dusted better part of 3 dozen goats the following weekend.

Shoulda had a swaro.

Did I miss Laffin, windshield, couch bound [bleep]??
Posted By: irfubar Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
Not all of them track perfect........ wink
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
I'll throw more bait. First focal scopes suck balls. Nothing like buying a scope where you can't see the reticle the first 6 powers in the range. I have no desire to hunt timber with a scope set on 10x because I can't see the reticle otherwise.

"dogcatcher223...you stupid son of a b****!"
We finally agree on something 😂😂
Originally Posted by irfubar
Not all of them track perfect........ wink

Brian, you are correct, but will a swfa fanboy ever admit it? 🤭
Posted By: Teal Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/25/21
I have a 6x Milquad on a 7-08 Kimber Montana (grey stock)

Happy with it for what I do. MW whitetails. I suspect it would be fine on western elk/muley and such.

Tracks, hold zero and returns to zero. I'm not old nor young (40's) with glasses and never had issue seeing the reticle. It works I guess.

Only bitch would be weight but on the Montana - overall package is pretty decent, especially at its price.
We finally agree on something 😂😂

Lol.

"dogcatcher, you stupid mf'r! Don't you realize your substensions are only accurate on high power with your second focal piece of schit?!!!"

Yes, I'm aware. I only dial or hold when shooting long range, and my scope is cranked up to high power regardless. I don't shoot long range on 3x. And what good are substensions you can't see?

My buddy had to buy first focal everything. Now his $3000 nightorces are worthless below 10x.
Like Button

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
🤮🤮😆
🤮🤮😆

Covid got you bruh?

😂🦫
Haha. You got a 5-20 shv yet mark?
I have grown to love zero stops..... SS ain't got no zero stop.... and that windage knob... good grief
Haha. You got a 5-20 shv yet mark?

Pfft. Of course, Laffin...But, I hated the 56mm objective. I tripped it and replaced it with the Shv 4-14x50 f1 that’s lit.

I used the shît out of it in 2019.

I didn’t have any problems going from 52 yards out to over 600 with it.

🦫
Ya I hate the 56mm too. Fuuck 😂
Ya I hate the 56mm too. Fuuck 😂

Good excuse to use see through mounts.... smile
I remember those things as a kid, never had em. One of my mentors had em on a 742 ‘06, he killed alotta big bucks with that setup
Higher rings and adjustable comb...56mm is nice on high power scopes or they can be too dark. Sightron puts a 60mm on some of theirs
Posted By: irfubar Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Well apparently the hole has been spooked..... the bobber ain't bouncing..... he use to be an easy sucker, guess he wised up.... finally.... hahahahhahahahahha
Posted By: goalie Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Well apparently the hole has been spooked..... the bobber ain't bouncing..... he use to be an easy sucker, guess he wised up.... finally.... hahahahhahahahahha

I'm guessing it's the pic of him.

Kinda hard to play alpha when you're a short, bald, fat tub of shiit.

That genie ain't going back in the bottle.
Posted By: 30338 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
[quote=Judman]Haha. You got a 5-20 shv yet mark?

Pfft. Of course, Laffin...But, I hated the 56mm objective. I tripped it and replaced it with the Shv 4-14x50 f1 that’s lit.

🦫
[/q
Had good luck with that SHV F1. Shot a buck at 650 yards using it on a 7 mag a couple years back. Made it kind of easy. Like the SWFA 6x. Found the SWFA 3-9 to have sort of mushy clicks. Use one but not a huge fan. The NXS 2.5-10 strikes me as a great scope. I like the 4-16 ATACR as well. Course there is still the Mil Spec being used on my favorite rig.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: GregW Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Jud, I'll buy all your SWFA scopes my man. grin

Posted By: SLM Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Jud, you’ll be rocking a Creed’, SWFA and VLD’s by year end...
Posted By: Judman Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
No on the first 2, done alotta killin with vlds. 👍
Posted By: beretzs Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
No on the first 2, done alotta killin with vlds. 👍

I’m working on VLDs for the fall myself. I might’ve gotten enough of a nudge to not chicken out on them. whistle

That rifle will likely get a 2.5x10 NXS before too long...
Posted By: irfubar Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
I tried VLD's for the second time last year and must say I am impressed.
This is an antelope shoulder hit with a 115 gr vld out of a 240 Wby.... notice the neat hole through the scapula at the tip of the knife... folded like he was electrocuted
Sorry for the thread hi-jack.... smile

Nice Scotty, goin bull huntin?
This is an antelope shoulder hit with a 115 gr vld out of a 240 Wby.... notice the neat hole through the scapula at the tip of the knife... folded like he was electrocuted

👍 they hurt [bleep] for sure.
Posted By: beretzs Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Nice Scotty, goin bull huntin?

Yeah, I’ll pull a bull tag and my son, God willing will pull a cow tag, along with my brother. As long as my son isn’t deployed will go to Wyoming with me. Can’t tell you how much of that I’m looking forward to.

👍 they hurt [bleep] for sure.

That’s a sweet picture. Thanks for posting it. I think that 230 at nearly 3k should float and whomp stuff.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by 30338
[quote=Judman]Haha. You got a 5-20 shv yet mark?

🦫
[/q
Had good luck with that SHV F1. Shot a buck at 650 yards using it on a 7 mag a couple years back. Made it kind of easy. Like the SWFA 6x. Found the SWFA 3-9 to have sort of mushy clicks. Use one but not a huge fan. The NXS 2.5-10 strikes me as a great scope. I like the 4-16 ATACR as well. Course there is still the Mil Spec being used on my favorite rig.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mil Spec....Money, money, money!

👍🏻🦫
Posted By: 30338 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
Got lucky and paid a very fair price for the Mil Spec. They never last long if priced well and I have only seen 2 for sale in 5 years.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/26/21
I've had piss poor luck getting vld's to shoot in any gun. Had great luck with scenars, and they are killers.
Posted By: T_the_Tinkerer Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/29/21
Sorry guys, not a fan of the SWFA SS. Have a 10x fixed power and gonna sell it soon. Eye relief and eyebox are so bad it's hard to get behind it and do anything. It's always dark because of how hard it is to find that perfect sweet spot.
Posted By: GregW Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/29/21

VLDs suck for killing....

Just ask those who don't use them....
Posted By: Sam_H Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/29/21
Have two 20x versions, and have no trouble using them. One lives on an Anschutz sporter. Works fine at range, and vs barn pigeons and red squirrels.

There's a downside to a tolerant eyebox - increased potential for parallax error. Consistent mount and cheek weld are good habits to develop. Not just with shotguns.
Posted By: T_the_Tinkerer Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Have two 20x versions, and have no trouble using them. One lives on an Anschutz sporter. Works fine at range, and vs barn pigeons and red squirrels.

There's a downside to a tolerant eyebox - increased potential for parallax error. Consistent mount and cheek weld are good habits to develop. Not just with shotguns.

You're definitely right about that, and I appreciate the advice. I was contemplating how to balance those two things. The first is to get a scope with parallax adjustment, second is to shoot only at distances within your scope's parallax setting, third is to use a scope with a smaller objective.

The non side focus scopes I have all have parallax set to 150yds, which is near my maximum hunting distance. I also plan to use a 40mm objective at largest going forward.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SWFA SS.... - 01/29/21
20 pages....
© 24hourcampfire