Home
Posted By: aalf Burris/Cabelas Fullfield E1 Scope - 01/26/21

Anybody have one of these scopes? Thought?

3-9X40 with the Ballistic Plex E1 reticle built on a 30mm main tube.

Curious about visibility of the reticle at low light.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/burris-fullfield-e1-rifle-scope
I have a short stack of them I think its a fantastic value
I like the 30MM tube
it maybe in my head but I believe the field of view is very good
its Burris so tough and nails
and relatively light

quite a while ago I figured out that the standard turret cap off an C4 Burris fits so I contacted Burris got extra caps and replace the top cap so I can adjust on the fly. I sight in my 450 or Muzz at 100 than know where its at at 150 and 200 I am in the Midwest when I deer hunt after 200 they are safe (its a 450 or a 50cal not a 308). If anyone else thinks this is a good idea PM me I will give you the cap#

our deer seem to really come out at dusk and I think the light gathering is very good
I had no issue at all

in conversation with my Son in Law and Guy57 they had an issue with the reticle
and here is what it is because it doesnt go side to side they felt that is low light you can use the reticle on the animal where had it gone side to side you could pick it up easier. II never even thoufght about it till the said it so it must not be an issue for me.

This is the first season I didnt have one on my MI rifle or Muzzle loader I read so much about the Meopta I bought one 3x9 and decided I wanted it on my new Belgara 450

I think they are great

buy it through active junky and get a 10% rebate (or what it is at the time)
and when they do an extra 10% for club members you can but that scope for about 125 if your not is a hurry

But at 149 its a bargain
Hank
In my research I see guys complaining on the side by side part of the reticle, but the Cabelas link shows them going clean to both sides, or are the talking about the space on both sides part way out from the center?

Were the 30mm tubes a special run for Cabelas, as everywhere else they seem to be 1".
Even the box shows it side to side but here is what you get

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

no doubt in my mind that this is a Burris/Cabelas exclusive with the 30MM tube
but I dont have word from either I am just sure thats what it is

Thanks, now I understand the bitchin'.

In my latest scope juggling olympics, my AR needs glass. With it already having a 30mm mount, that Cabela's model had me ready to pull the trigger, glad I asked.

Plan on using it for occasion coyote calling, so I believe I want more reticle than that.
I have always had good luck with Burris for the most part. I don't get the bitching about all the way side to side. That part is irrelevant.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have always had good luck with Burris for the most part. I don't get the bitching about all the way side to side. That part is irrelevant.

What's your opinion on the reticle for calling coyotes at o dark thirty?
Just picked one up. It will definitely work for the predators.
I am not sure I understand the logic of having a thicker center crosshair and thinner subtensions on an SFP scope.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am not sure I understand the logic of having a thicker center crosshair and thinner subtensions on an SFP scope.

Fathom that. You don't understand something.
Must be a rerun. I bought one a couple of years ago and it’s fine. Sits on a primitive high volume bullet launcher.

Well I'm going to find out for myself, as I just ordered one.

Fingers crossed.......
I cashed in my Cabela bucks and got one to put on the 6mm creedmoor.
I happen to like their holdover scopes and the E1 in particular.
If I get a minute, I'll peek out at twilight to see how it does as the evening light fades..
Originally Posted by colodog
If I get a minute, I'll peek out at twilight to see how it does as the evening light fades..

Cool....thanks.
Originally Posted by aalf

Fingers crossed.......

Me too. I need more glass for another AR in .308 so I’ll try this one. I’ll get a turret made once I settle on a load.

Fingers crossed.......

Interested to see how you like it as I'm in a similar conundrum. wink

I want to replace the little 10 oz. Weaver K6 on my 250 Ackley combo deer/coyote rig with a 1" mid range variable (2-3 to 12-14) that's compact, has a side parallax adj, capped turrets, a decent reticle (plex would be ok if not too thick) and under 16 oz. that has enough power for meaningful load work without doing the scope swap dance. No Hubble's on this gun as it's too handy.

Looking forward to your observations.... -Al

Originally Posted by colodog

Cool....thanks.

Hey Aalf, I stayed out in the front yard and looked across the hay fields to the treeline (300-325yds) till It was too dark to make a legal shot on a deer.

I compared the Burris 3-9 30mm FF E1 to a Leupold VXII 3-9 1" I have and it was pretty interesting.
To my eye, the glass is very slightly clearer on the Leupold but the Burris was more usable.
The crosshairs on the Leupold seemed to obscure more view than necessary.
The suspended crosshair of the etched Burris was plenty big enough to line up a shot but not so big that it blocked peripheral vision of the other does milling around waiting to get some evening rye.
It's not magic but I think you'll like it, I sure do.

Excellent, thanks....

So the reticle was still visible at last light on the deer?

Mine's supposed to be delivered tomorrow via FedEx, pretty good service for ordering it 2:30 PM on Thursday.
Good stuff.
I ended up ordering the IV in 3-12x42.
Only .4 oz heavier than the 2.5-10. I really like 2.5-10 for hunting as it covers all my bases. but I found, in off season I’m stretching out my reloads past my normal hunting situation and like the little extra from 10 and 12

Excellent, thanks....

So the reticle was still visible at last light on the deer?

Mine's supposed to be delivered tomorrow via FedEx, pretty good service for ordering it 2:30 PM on Thursday.

The reticle wasn't visible on the deer at that distance in the dim light but it extended up,down, left and right of a deer so it would certainly be usable to center up a shot.
I'm curious what you think when you get yours!
Are these made in China?
Mine is made in the Philippines
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Mine is made in the Philippines

Same here....
My guess the majority of the guys will find this to be a good scope well worth the money

Hank

Cabela's Express shipping got it to the door in 2 days. Initial impression was positive, and the reticle favorable.

Mounted it up right away on the Ruger MPR.

Conditions were pretty shltty to be sighting in a scope, with another snow storm on the way, 20 degrees, & 25+ winds already. Access road to my "range" was also starting to drift in. With the wind out of the east, it would give me mostly a tailwind, & hopefully not as bad in the bottom.

I drove down to the 200 yard mark, dropped a target there, then back to the 50 yard line and dropped a second for initial zeroing, and then got set up.

First shot was high/left, cranked the scope both directions, and took another......close enough. Moved to the 100 yard mark, and within a couple more, was setting an inch high. Scope seemed to respond as expected.

Moved to the 200 yard target, first shot was a dead center 10 ring, next 2 a bit left, but a nice 1 1/2" triangle. Gave the scope one click right, and then shot a 4 shot, perfectly square, 2" group dead center.

Last test.....loaded up 5 more rounds, and banged them off as quick as I could get back on the target.

Not bad, five in 2 1/4", four in 1 1/4", three in 3/4".

Looks like a winner to me. I like those little Burris’s myself. Seems like you have to spend a lot more money than what they cost to really whoop em.

I didn't do a tracking test, spin the dial a bunch, or check RTZ.

Clicks were a little soft, but I think the temps played a partial role in that......and cold fingers.

I like the reticle. It could stand to be a bit thicker for this application on the AR, with it's slim chance of going much past 300.

I think it would shine on longer ranges w/o obscuring the target at distance.

Late that afternoon, I was comparing this scope to a Vari-X 3.5-10x40 regular duplex, a VXR 2-7x33, a VXR 3-9x40, a VX5 3-15x44 w/Firedot, and a NF 2.5-10x32 w/ the IHR reticle. Tough to judge glass out the somewhat dirty front window, but I had had enough fresh air for one day. All the snow cover made the reticles stand out more as well. The neighbor has a big ass spruce tree in the back yard, so I compared reticles on their lowest power against the tree.

The NF gave out first, that was expected, but the illumination cures that quite well.

The Burris died next. I believe it could go further if the horizontal lines extended to the edge, like the E3's, better yet if they got bigger as well. Up to the end of legal big game hunting, I think it'll do just fine as is. A lit + in the middle would be the cat's ass, which is available on the FF IV's.

The 3 Leupolds with the Firedot duplexes won by a long shot, even w/o the illumination on. I see people complain about the narrow portion being too wide, but I think it's perfect, especially with coyotes on the menu.

Also, for anyone on the fence, Cabelas/Asspro has 10% off online orders over $50.00 today only.

Of course I bought last week.......
Tails show you had a little 'Van Dyne push' going on...... wink -Al
Optics planet has a version with the standard plex, 1” tube and it’s $199 though. My buddy got one of the illuminated models while Natchez was clearing them out. I should have bought a couple then, it’s a damn good hunting scope for the money.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Tails show you had a little 'Van Dyne push' going on...... wink -Al

It varied between a Van Dyne push, shove, and/or a kick in the ass.....w/o the pressure of course.... grin
Spin the nuts off the turrets and report back.

I’ll send ya some 223 range brass if you drop it 4 foot onto packed snow a couple times as well.

I got one rig that really doesn’t much more then a decent reticle and ability to hold zero and stay together
I bought one today. It was really cheap after using my bucks...
Anyone know what the fixed knob on the turret assembly is... where the old Posi-Locks used to be?

For the record, I love these scopes!
Originally Posted by ckat
Anyone know what the fixed knob on the turret assembly is... where the old Posi-Locks used to be?

For the record, I love these scopes!

I believe it’s the parallax adjustment knob. I haven’t tried removing the cap to see what it is under it and probably should re-read the manual although it doesn’t appear to go into much detail.

This is the first Burris scope that I bought that hasn’t come on a rifle. So far I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how bright and clear it is for the money. I will get a turret or two made when I settle on loads but while I don’t plan on using this scope to dial I am interested in how it tracks and RTZ. My impression on the factory turret is that it’s a little more mushy than the Meopta and Zeiss but not Leupold mushy. 😁. I do wish the reticle was a little more bold but I’m used to a similar reticle on my Zeiss and so far it’s never been a problem.

Seems like a damn good deal and a lot of scope for the money.

ETA...After going back and looking at the users manual I’m now totally unsure what the little tit on the lower left side of the turret actually is. 😁. I don’t see anything in the users manual that indicates what it is either...
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
.After going back and looking at the users manual I’m now totally unsure what the little tit on the lower left side of the turret actually is. 😁. I don’t see anything in the users manual that indicates what it is either...

Some nitrogen fill ports are like that. -Al
Mine arrived already from Cabelas. I have a 2x8 Burris 1” tube with the E1 already which I have on a 6.5 grendel AR. It was just a tad underpowered. I like simple reticles with some ranging hashmarks and the E1 is right there, I do like stadia lines on the thin side and these I would consider medium thickness.

After using 30mm tubes on my 3 gun rifles it is hard to go back to 1” tubes, this will help.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
.After going back and looking at the users manual I’m now totally unsure what the little tit on the lower left side of the turret actually is. 😁. I don’t see anything in the users manual that indicates what it is either...

Some nitrogen fill ports are like that. -Al

It is the nitrogen port. I called and asked because it’s in the same spot as the old Posi-lock, and also the coil bias spring on my Hawke Endurance 30 8x56.
I think I'll be ordering one of these
Anyone done a SxS comparison of the 30mm vs 1" Burris scopes of similar zoom and model?
Have both 30mm E1and FF2 3-9x40, but no. I’m hoping the E1 dual springs (1”E1s too) are tougher, but I ended up with a 30mm by accident. Both are fine for me, so not gonna obsess if either might be a bit better. Possibly the coatings on E1s might be better because they’re newer, but who knows?

The Cabelas sale is tempting, but might necessitate buying a rifle to go under it, so I’m gonna pass, I think.
Nice glass and they are not bad scopes. If the reticle "fullfilled" the scope glass instead of floating in the middle, I'd definitely buy another. They work, but the reticle subtensions are hard for my old eyes to use for hunting at longer ranges.
On that note on the reticle - anyone use the E3 MOA models yet? It seems to eliminate that floating effect right?
Mine arrived today, it is indeed an excellent value. I don't think the reticle would work for me in the dark woods, but I don't hunt those much.
10% off today from Cabelas:
21club215
I received one a few days ago. It will go on an AR range rifle. So far, just fiddling with it, I am pleased. I don't think I would want it on a hunting rifle though.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Mine arrived today, it is indeed an excellent value. I don't think the reticle would work for me in the dark woods, but I don't hunt those much.

Last summer I put one of these in Talley QDs as to try out as the long range scope on a Kimber Adirondack and this was my first impression about the reticle as well. Last month while deer hunting I shot a river otter on the run in the dark woods with it. It seemed I got the shot off a touch slower than I might have with a proper reticle for such work, but I got him. It's not a reticle I'd want for much of the deer hunting I do however.
I couldn’t help myself and just ordered another. For the price and my intended use for the scope it’s a damn good value for what you’re getting. I’m not dialing so the BDC has me covered. I’d prefer the reticle filled the view more but my eyes are good and it’ll work.

Originally Posted by EdM
I received one a few days ago. It will go on an AR range rifle. So far, just fiddling with it, I am pleased. I don't think I would want it on a hunting rifle though.

Ed, why not on a hunting rifle? Just wondering what you are seeing (or not)
© 24hourcampfire