Home
Posted By: stumpman Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21
Has anyone compared the VX 3i and the new VX 3HD scopes? Is there much of a noticeable difference in the non illuminated models?
Posted By: BillyE Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21
I haven’t seen a 3HD in person. However, the biggest difference I see online is the CDS.
Posted By: stumpman Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by BillyE
I haven’t seen a 3HD in person. However, the biggest difference I see online is the CDS.

Thanks. I have a 5HD and had just ordered a 3i for my ML then saw the 3HD.but they had already shipped the 3i. Just wondering if the glass is any better at dawn and dusk.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21

Unless it tracks better than the previous VX-3 line with CDS, I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for it.

They are great set and forget it scopes but not so great for dialing.
Posted By: Motown Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by stumpman

Thanks. I have a 5HD and had just ordered a 3i for my ML then saw the 3HD.but they had already shipped the 3i. Just wondering if the glass is any better at dawn and dusk.

I guarantee it will be the same glass just with a few more bells and whistles so they can justify charging more.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by Motown

I guarantee it will be the same glass just with a few more bells and whistles so they can justify charging more.

Typical Leupold marketing crap !
Posted By: aalf Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/03/21

Ya, cock suckers, burn 'em at the stake......
Posted By: BillyE Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Unless it tracks better than the previous VX-3 line with CDS, I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for it.

I don’t have any interest in the CDS either. I wish they’d make an illuminated reticle without CDS. That would be the ticket for me. Otherwise, I’ll jump to the next bracket up and start looking at euro scopes.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
I shot a VX3i today. 3.5 X 10 X50. it has a worse view than my VariX111 2.5 x8 and even aV9 Weaver too. I was stunned. And I focused them all for the clearest image of the target. Leupold better get it together. I use to look at them first. That's over.
Posted By: bersh Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by Motown

Prices are the same as they've been for a while. If the optical difference between the 3HD and the 3i is the same as it was between the 3i and the 3, it's worth the upgrade.
Posted By: bersh Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I shot a VX3i today. 3.5 X 10 X50. it has a worse view than my VariX111 2.5 x8 and even aV9 Weaver too. I was stunned. And I focused them all for the clearest image of the target. Leupold better get it together. I use to look at them first. That's over.

I call B.S. I've owned a VX3i, VX3, and vari-x III, all in 3.5-10x44. I still own the VX3i. Optically, the 3i is superior to the previous generations. It's not a night-and-day difference, but it's noticeable. Keep in mind that I'm not really a Leupold fan, so this isn't fan-boy speak. This is based on having owned and used all three scopes experience. As far as how it stacks up against a Weaver, I can't answer that. As much as I've tried, I have yet to find a Weaver I've looked through that's worth owning, except for one that I inherited.
I've owned and shot Leupolds for 40 years. My favorites are the Var-X III 3x10x50 with HEAVY DUPLEX........Which they don't offer that recticle anymore. I have a couple of 3ci's that I'm not impressed with. The the skinny duplex washes out at dusk and dawn...........I am migrating to Meopta. A better scope in the same price ranges. With a better duplex recticle.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by Wesley2

This
Posted By: stumpman Re: Leupold VX3i vs 3HD? - 02/04/21
Not concerned with dialing it is going on a ML. Just wondered if the glass was better enough to get the HD model. I know my VX5HD has excellent glass on it. We did a comparison between it and two different Zeiss models and a upper end Vortex the 5 HD outperformed the rest.
© 24hourcampfire