Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by aalf

Anybody try Remington's version?

[Linked Image from leupold.com]

Leupold?

Ooops....yeah Leupold...I'll edit.....

Hard to keep all the junk straight..... grin
Nope!
Worth a look. How do they compare price-wise?
I'm giving up on all that schit. Just a boomerang with open sights from now on.
Roughly twice the $
Posted By: aalf Re: Since Talleys Are A POS...... - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Bater
They’re more $

Yup, about twice so....
I have the Remington version around here somewhere. They were chunky compared to talleys.
Yes, got 2 pairs in duty, old school though, only 2 screw per cap, $20 a piece. No complaints, but I’m not a prc shooter, and don’t wear Sitka gear.... 😂
I am running them on my Howa 6CM. A bit more than Talleys but they look better to me. They are still relatively light though. Don't remember much difference between them and Talleys weight wise.
I have always preferred Leupold Dual dovetails.

Mike
30 mm version here, shoots coyotes weekly, bobcats, crows, coons badgers etc. 204 ruger, Mark IV 4.5-14 tmr...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pardon the “gripitude”, I know I know gotta have waaaaaaY more surface area and screws... haha
Originally Posted by Judman
Pardon the “gripitude”, I know I know gotta have waaaaaaY more surface area and screws... haha

You're forgiven......this time.....
Just looked, still got a new set waitin for the next Remington... dunno where you guys are paying so much for em, they’re quite a bit cheaper than Talley

You're forgiven......this time.....

😂😂

They’re easily double the weight of tally
Just looked, still got a new set waitin for the next Remington... dunno where you guys are paying so much for em, they’re quite a bit cheaper than Talley

Don't need that extra left nut anyway, so......
I likes Conetrol.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Never had a set of conetrol, they sure are svelte sexy fuuckers..
[Linked Image]

Like them so far. Hasn’t been hunted yet. Maybe 40-50% more material, particularly in clamp area of the rings vs the talley LW. I weighed them but forget unfortunately... want to say around 3.5oz for the pair w/ screws?
Strong too have them on a few magnums they have never failed me. I wonder if twiggy uses them?
I have always used the steel Talley's. I have never tried the lightweights of any brand. I'm not opposed to the lightweights just never tried them.
I broke a couple of pairs of Talleys so I'm a bit gun-shy on them now.

I've mounted a few pairs of the two-piece DNZs and they sure seem to have held up well.

Ugly as sin, but seemingly quite functional.

Dave
What exactly is Z2 alloy?
Originally Posted by mathman

Mathman, its top secret. Even google don't know.

Typical Leupold BS.

Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I have the Remington version around here somewhere. They were chunky compared to talleys.

I have some. They are HEAVY.

Best I can tell it's like Zamak.

Edit. After a quick search, it looks like it is.

https://www.dynacast.com/en/knowled...-cast-metals/zinc-casting-metals/zamak-2
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Mathman, its top secret. Even google don't know.

Typical Leupold BS.

In your rush to be part of the Leupold bashing club, I think you missed something.
Posted By: aalf Re: Since Talleys Are A POS...... - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Leupold specs show 1" mediums weigh 3.2 ozs.

My Talley 1" mediums weigh 2.4 ozs

You best start working out so you can hump that extra 8 tenths of an ounce around.

I had two sets of Talley rings that had a large point of impact shift after falls on backcountry hunts. Had one cost us a good bear. The other I stopped, resighted in and wife hammered a big whitetail. May have been the Leupold scopes too, not sure. Those were replaced with bedded Seekins rails and Nightforce scopes.

If you're worried about weight for sure go Talleys and Leupolds. They are very light.

You best start working out so you can hump that extra 8 tenths of an ounce around.

Haha
Buddy has a set on a Winchester model 70. They look nicer than Talleys but the rear hangs over the ejection port which I can't stand.

Are the Leupolds the same as the Remington version that he's referencing?
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Leupold rings are 7075 the Z2 is some zinc aluminum concoction.
Jordan:

The Remington's are not the same as the Leupold Back Countries. The Z2 (Zinc based) alloy on the Remington's Judman pictured is heavier, and seemed pretty tough. The Leupold BC are Aluminum. The Z2 alloy is very similar to the DNZ material; perhaps it is the same? I had several mounts and rings made of Z2 that came with ML mount/ring packages maybe 10 years back or so. The company name was Durasight and they also marketed their products as Z2 alloy. I still have the Z2 rails on 2 TC ML's I have, and they have been great over a lot of use. Also have a couple of their Weaver style rings in service that have been very tough.

I just used a set of the Leupold Back Country 1 piece ring/mounts on a set up for a hunting buddy. He provided them and it was the first experience I had with them. I'd say they are a step up from the Talley LW. As mentioned, they beefed up areas that caused troubles for some on the Talley LW, and they were very well built and exact fitting. Material is very similar to Warne Mountain Techs and NF UL rings.
Check out Hawkins. You can get them with 25 MOA cant.

I'm trying a set out right now, and they're pretty damn nice.
The Hawkins do seem fantastic. A friend of mine just put a set into service. They're easthetically pleasing, and it's nice to have another option to add inclination to the set up.
Posted By: Brad Re: Since Talleys Are A POS...... - 02/23/21
Have had around 25 pairs of Talley LWT’s. I’ve never had a problem, nothing stripped, cracked, broken, spindled, folded or mutilated. I do, however, always lap them.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

That's good to hear as I've been looking at those for an AnTi I have coming.

If you'll look at the post I quoted, he mentioned Remington. At 6.1 ounces for a set of 30 highs, they are indeed comparatively heavy.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

No, you aren't missing anything. In his rush to try to make a funny, he missed that.
Originally Posted by Higginez

That's good to hear as I've been looking at those for an AnTi I have coming.

Sent you a PM

They should come with an extra top for those who don't want the "anti-cant" bubble level.
Originally Posted by kingston

They should come with an extra top for those who don't want the "anti-cant" bubble level.

I called them last year to ask about their exact weight, and if I could substitute a regular top rather than the bubble top.

They had some extra tops in stock that they would have done it, cost was the same.

Sounded like they don't normally have extras.

Hawkins offer 1”?

The anti can’t bubble really comes in handy

For what?

When you have an inner ear infection.
Originally Posted by wagner
Hawkins offer 1”?

Nope

I called them last year to ask about their exact weight, and if I could substitute a regular top rather than the bubble top.

They had some extra tops in stock that they would have done it, cost was the same.

Sounded like they don't normally have extras.

We're living in a topsy turvy world.

I'd swear, when they first came out two and a half years ago, the bubble level top was an option.

For what?

😂🤣🦫

For what?

Or when you slip the Sitka skinny jeans on, with the flatbill, and pretend to “hunt”.... 😎👍
I used LW Talleys on a couple of rifles for about 10 years. Had no problems, but I did bed them by clamping the rings on a lapping bar and bedding the ring to receiver over headless base screws. Afterwards, if fit wasn't perfect, I bedded scope to rings. I know, way too much spare time.
Now, all I use is Recknagel Pic/Weaver rings. Not cheap at about $170 but the best rings I have ever used, 7075 aluminum, large clamping bolt and 30mm lows weigh 3.75 ounce a pair. I've heard 'em here on the Fire crying "What happens if you lose that Triangle nut wrench? Simple, use a pair of pliers, What are you going to remove the allen or hex nut attached rings with if you lose that wrench? Your dik?
^ but those don't have an integral base. Kind of apples to oranges to this discussion
Shiit is getting real serious here!!! The folks that kill (1) big game animal a year are about to show the www wtf!!!🖕😂
We need a bases and rings section

Boomers section would follow right after if going by alphabetical order
Leupold Dual Dovetails, low rings with bases counter bored for 8-40s. Weighs 4.1oz (steel)
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Talley Alloy Lows, counterbored for 8-40s. Weighs 1.9oz
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I just put a set on the scale and got 3.65 ounces. That was the otitis media version.

I think the Hawkins rings are a VERY nice design. Much more solid than Talley rings and I like the included bubble level. They are higher than I prefer though.

If you're using a 50+mm scope with a thicker barrel the height probably won't stand out.

I'm using a 42mm scope with a KS contour barrel and it's a lot of extra room. It's noticeably lower for me to use a 20 MOA rail and low (.82) pic rings.....but using the rail/rings/scope level is almost a 1/4 lb heavier than the Hawkins.

If the Hawkins rings were a lower ring I'd probably be replacing a lot of my mounts with them.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
We need a bases and rings section

Boomers section would follow right after if going by alphabetical order

Thanks, I'd like that.
Posted By: WDEA Re: Since Talleys Are A POS...... - 02/23/21
The Hawkins are a nice piece of kit, pricey but worth it IMO.
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Strong too have them on a few magnums they have never failed me. I wonder if twiggy uses them?

yeah, if mini twig less uses em I'll mark em off my list forever.
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I have always used the steel Talley's. I have never tried the lightweights of any brand. I'm not opposed to the lightweights just never tried them.

That’s all I use on bolt rifles, probably 30 pairs of bases and rings
Talley uses 6061 aluminum. 6061 has a yield strength of 40,000 PSI & a hardness of 95 Brinell

Leupold uses 7075 aluminum. Numbers for it are 75,000 PSI & a hardness of 150 Brinell.

Superior metallurgy in the Leupolds. Not gonna throw my rifle over the bank to find out. But just from knowing the alloys, I'd know the Leupolds are very likely to be stronger.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I just put a set on the scale and got 3.65 ounces. That was the otitis media version.

Thanks, assuming that's with the bubble top? I have the weights wrote down here somewhere in a safe place....

A different viable option is a Seekins S/A 20MOA base is only 2.2 ozs.

My Seekins L/A 30 MOA base that I trimed the front off, weighs 2.0 ozs.

Vortex Pro rings, in 30mm lows are 3.1 ozs.

One inch lows certainly are under 3 ozs.

So those two make a serious combo for less than 2 ozs difference, and more latitude for scope placement.

Certainly a better option trying to mount a 2.5-8x33 Leupold on a L/A.

Although Talley makes an extended front that scoots the scope back an extra 3/8".
Originally Posted by gunzo
Talley uses 6061 aluminum. 6061 has a yield strength of 40,000 PSI & a hardness of 95 Brinell
Leupold uses 7075 aluminum. Numbers for it are 75,000 PSI & a hardness of 150 Brinell.
Superior metallurgy in the Leupolds. Not gonna throw my rifle over the bank to find out. But just from knowing the alloys, I'd know the Leupolds are very likely to be stronger.

Thanks for that.
Talley website says "7000 series" aluminum.
Shiit is getting real serious here!!! The folks that kill (1) big game animal a year are about to show the www wtf!!!🖕😂

Jud Jud Jud, how many times do I have to say that killing animals has nothing to do with it.
Talley website says "7000 series" aluminum.

You are correct MM. The site does say that. They've added that info or my memory let me down. Likely the latter. I stand corrected, thank you.

A couple things still have me not a real big fan of Talley LW's. Not ragging on them, just observations. But I've already got my tit caught in the ringer on this subject, so I'll shut up.

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Thanks, assuming that's with the bubble top?

Yes sir.
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Jud Jud Jud, how many times do I have to say that killing animals has nothing to do with it.

Since I’m not a “shooter”, it has everything to do with it.👍

For what?

LMAO!!
Love this design. Make these from 7075 and offer more configurations and you're set. Talley's too sharp edged/unrefined/unfinished. Leupold BC's are bulkier and not produced from ground up for each application so they hang off into the port or are overly wide for some receivers. Leupold came close...

https://iotaoutdoors.com/product/nomad/
© 24hourcampfire