Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
I have never seen a wide duplex in person. Why the dislike ober the standard duplex?
Posted By: rj308 Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
I'll take a stab at this one.
I do not like the Wide Duplex reticle because in the morning when the light is very dim or when the light is really fading in the evening, the thick bars are so far from the animal and the thin ones are not visible enough to give you confidence in making a good hit. Also there is too much thin wire for hold over shots, if that makes any sense. I am sure some one will post shortly and explain this a lot better than I did. RJ
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
Yep, the thick parts are so far apart they're not good for much.
Posted By: paulfish308 Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
ah! thanks ...
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
Agree with above. That said, depends on what you’re shooting at, too.

A duplex is too busy in the middle to me if shooting varmints. A wide duplex is close enough to a plain crosshair sometimes. Put a 6x33 such on a 22 hornet, for example.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
I have a VX-5HD 2-10 with the wide duplex, kinda like it. I had a fixed 2.5 ultralight with it, too.

I might change my mind if I do have a negative low-light situation with that reticle, but I haven't yet. I also don't really hunt with that rifle much, either.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/27/21
Been through this, there's plenty of guys that say they prefer the WD. Barf.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/28/21
Not I....
Posted By: powdr Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/28/21
A complete abomination! powdr
Posted By: hookeye Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/28/21
I dont need the thick parts, see the fine part in bad light, conditions.

Maybe for running game the thick helps.

Kinda like the wide duplex for uncluttered view

Set n forget....a regular ( non wide ) duplex i guess can use the points.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/28/21
For me, They're too wide for the subtensions to be of any use for windage or elevation holds. Also, the "fine" section isn't as fine as I prefer. I sold the VX-6 2-12 I had so-configured, still have one 6x42 I'm too lazy to swap out.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 02/28/21
It sux!
Posted By: buttstock Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/01/21
I like a Plex design that is 9 moa from the cross hair intersection. It works well as a range finder. A deer's body is about 18 inches in height. This fills the plex distance between the vertical plex points at 100 yards. A deer's body ( 18" or moa) fills the space from intersection to either vertical point. At 300 yards, A deer's body is 1/3 the space between the two vertical points. Very quick and useful.

Not sure what the specs are on a "wide duplex" reticle, but if it is >9 moa, then it is too big for my use.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by mathman
Yep, the thick parts are so far apart they're not good for much.

This ^
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/01/21
I am in the minority that finds it to satisfactory for my hunting needs. It is or was the default reticle for the Redfield Revolution. I have shot several animals at last light with that scope without issue.
Posted By: RinB Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/01/21

I prefer the wide duplex over the standard by a very “wide” margin. 👍

Other great reticle, perhaps the best, is the Burris Ballistic Plex but wasn’t the question.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by RinB

Care to elaborate?
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RinB

Care to elaborate?

I really like the wide duplex. Think of it as braille method aiming, especially in low light, Frames things in stark relief for me. Separates the wheat from the chaff.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/02/21
We are talking wide, not heavy, duplex right?
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/02/21
I have only used the wide duplex in the 2.5x compact scope and I have had no problems seeing it in low light. In the 2.5x it substends 1.4" at 100 yards with is fairly thick compared to the old thin crosshairs we used back in the 60's just fine.

I am not as big a fan of the Leupold duplex as others on the forum are. I find it a little too compressed to see where I am aiming at precisely, but that is just me and obviously I am in the minority.
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/03/21
https://www.leupold.com/reticle/wide-duplex/

I have the 2.5x and have only used it with pigs/dogs, which seems to be always within 50 yds. Never used it in the 'evening'.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/03/21
I have an old VX2 2-7x33 in wide duplex & love it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by 47stalker
I have an old VX2 2-7x33 in wide duplex & love it.

How old? Do you mean Vari-X II? If from that era do you mean heavy, rather than wide, duplex?
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/04/21
I prefer the wide duplex to the regular. The regular duplex is too close together.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/04/21
I've had two scopes with the wide duplex, 6x42 & 6x36 that I use now. See no reason to change. As N2T has said, the regular duplex, especially on the 6x42 seems crowded.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/04/21
I'm not a fan of the wide duplex reticle. I have one Leupold with a wide duplex reticle in the form of a 2-7x33 Rifleman.

66 out of my 74 Leupolds have duplex, 43, or heavy duplex, 23, reticles. The remaining 8 have 5 different reticle styles. I have more duplex reticles because 55 of the 74 scopes came with them. When Leupold didn't charge very much to do a reticle change, I had them change 12 of the VX2s to the heavy duplex reticle style that I prefer.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/05/21
Thanks for the comments.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/06/21
Like the Leupold wide-view duplex on the VX-1 2-7x33mm.

Right now it's no the 9.3x62mm.

GR
Posted By: RGK Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/06/21
Got a NIB Leupold 6x36 with the wide duplex. Eventually, it'll go back to Leupold for an LRD reticle (if the custom shop ever reopens). Until then, I'll be mounting it on a favorite '06 to see what all the hate is about.
Bob
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Leupold Wide Duplex? - 03/06/21
The 6x36 was a great scope. It was totally moronic to drop that reticle for the wide duplex, no wonder it didn't sell. I've got my 6x36 LRD on an '06 and consider it the ideal pairing. I wish I'd have bought three or four of those when they were still being made. A 6x36 LRD, fixed 4 or 2.5 with a #4 would be the only new leupolds I could ever consider buying. I wonder how much they've lost in sales the last few years. Seems like they're circling the bowl.
© 24hourcampfire