Home
Just picked up a nice, low round count Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag for deer hunting here in Michigan.

I'd like to shoot deer out to 75 yards and target shoot at 100 yards at my range.

I am leaning towards a Burris 3-12 handgun scope, primarily because Cabelas has it and I have enough points to get it for free.

I've read good things about the Weigand mount, so I'm going to get one of those.

Am I ok with that scope on say 4 power when hunting?

I wish I could get a straight 4 power 30mm tube with illuminated reticle
I must be spot on with my choice or way off.

No comments in 9 hours

Aw screw it, I'm gonna order it now
3-12 is “overscoped” for a 44 mag. A .243 you’re gonna shoot out to 300 yds?? Fine. You won’t go much past 100-125 yds with a 44 mag.
I’d suggest a 2x, or at most, a 4x. Why???

The field of view (FOV) on pistol scopes is WAY narrower than a rifle scope at the same power. Good for paper, but not for picking up moving game. Since you want “dual duty”, maybe the 4x.

May have caught you too late, but look for something more compact, and less magnification.
The only two revolvers I have scoped (.41 and .44 mags) have fixed 2X Leupolds. For my purposes, I can not imagine a physically bigger scope on a revolver, nor see the need for more magnification. Also, given the recoil dynamics of large caliber revolvers, I would be loathe to mount a variable on them.
Originally Posted by fburgtx
3-12 is “overscoped” for a 44 mag. A .243 you’re gonna shoot out to 300 yds?? Fine. You won’t go much past 100-125 yds with a 44 mag.
I’d suggest a 2x, or at most, a 4x. Why???

The field of view (FOV) on pistol scopes is WAY narrower than a rifle scope at the same power. Good for paper, but not for picking up moving game. Since you want “dual duty”, maybe the 4x.

May have caught you too late, but look for something more compact, and less magnification.

This!
I have had a couple of scoped deer killin revolvers and they always get 2x scopes.

I leave the variables for my TC Encores
Leupold 2x fixed is mounted on my .44 SRH; a fine scope
2X on my Redhawk.
Thanks guys, I was going to buy tomorrow.
I had a 2x Leupold on mine and found it to be way more than enough for shots on deer out past my 100 yd limit. 3-12 is way too much to even keep game centered in the scope at arms length under any but bench condition. Mike
Check out the Galco Kodiak chest holster for Scoped RedHawks, nice leather that keeps your hands free
Another vote for the 2x Leupold.
Leupold 2X here, too. .30-30, loves 125 grain Ballistic tips and the 2X compliments my (not) tremendous skills with a handgun....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Leupold 2x on my SBH hunter had a 4x and for me it seemed to much and not enough FOV, 2x allows me to pick up my target quick.
I vote 2x Leupold also. Have one on a 7.5" stainless Redhawk for 7 or 8 years now. FOV is great and 2x is plenty for a 44 Mag. revolver.
2X or a red dot sight/reflex.

Wouldnt go 4x or higher unless a specialty pistol.

Pops had a Burris 1-4x or whatever, on a 9.5" Super Redhawk in .44 mag. I hunted half CRP, half oakwoods/tree farm.
That friggin scope came off next day.

Of course I ended up shooting the deer past 100, iron sights.
Like the gun, figured a Burris Fastfire in the fwd ring slot the way Id go if I got my own.
I do have a Burris 3-12X AO scope, on a Contender .223 barrel.
and a Leupold 4x on a .22 mag Contender bbl.

The weight of the Burris variable is considerably more than M8 Leupold.

Why I think for deer, a reflex on a revolver might be the best option.
Helps old eyes and keeps the handgun............handy.

If I score a .35 rem bbl for my TC, it will wear an Aimpoint PRO. For deer.

2x on my Super 14 30-30 and an UltraDot 30 on my Super Blackhawk. Tried a 4x and it was way too much scope.

Both mine stay on a 6” plate at 100yds without issue and I’m not that good of a shot.
Red dot
Green dot actually . I just picked one up and am amazed how much better my eye picks up the green reticle,
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Just picked up a nice, low round count Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag for deer hunting here in Michigan.

I'd like to shoot deer out to 75 yards and target shoot at 100 yards at my range.

I am leaning towards a Burris 3-12 handgun scope, primarily because Cabelas has it and I have enough points to get it for free.

I've read good things about the Weigand mount, so I'm going to get one of those.

Am I ok with that scope on say 4 power when hunting?

I wish I could get a straight 4 power 30mm tube with illuminated reticle

I had one of the first ones to hit the gun store shelves. You didn't mention barrel length .. mine was a 9-1/2. In the couple years I had it, I had a Burris 1-4x, a Burris 2-7X, and a Leupold 2X on it. I had a Leupold 4x on a 10-1/2" barreled super blackhawk. I have one now on a Contender barrel. The fixed 4 is just never the right scope for me, it is either too much or not enough, sometimes the same day in different settings. I really like the variables where I can turn 'em down for hunting and turn 'em up for punching paper without swapping scopes. I settled on the 2-7X Burris eventually on the Super Redhawk. Mine would drop 6 hornady 240 grain RXT (predecessor to the XTP) HPs into 1-1/4 inches at 100 yards at 7x from a rest.

I think the 3-12X Burris would be ok, but at 3x not 4x while hunting. Field of view, perceived multiplication of wobble, etc. I would be a little leery from the weight perspective. The Super Redhawk is a very heavy handgun even without optics.

I would not do the Weigand mount. I like Weigand mounts but only if the gun is not otherwise set up from the factory. I'd stick with the Ruger rings.

You may find that in the field, the handgun scope is more hassle, more pain in the ass than it is worth. I did. Just as I used a variable so I had both low and high magnification, on a Super Blackhawk Hunter, I used a 4X Leupold for shooting paper, testing loads, etc, but took the scope off entirely and shot the irons for hunting.

Tom
I went with the VX3 2.5-8x32 on my Super Redhawk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
after reading all of these comments, I might just try my Swampfox Kingslayer green dot reflex sight first

I don't believe Leupold makes the 2 power any longer, but I see Burris does
There are plenty of used 2x Leupold to be found.
I’ve had a couple of scoped .44s and one or two scoped single shots. I found any scope over 2x hard to get and stay behind and pick up a target with. Now, I’d stick with a quality red-dot. For certain, a .44 will put any optic to the test and expose any weakness, so don’t try to go cheap on either. My last adventure in handguns with optics resulted in a mere .357 trashing a supposedly rugged Sparc2 in about 10 rounds. I’d go with a Burris FF3 or pony up for an Aimpoint, painful as that may be.
the Burris 2x is fine...........had one on a Redhawk for around 20 years

you wont want more than 2x for hunting with a revolver
I know 1 poster commented that the Weigand mount isn’t needed but that sure looks like a better mounting system than just rings
2 power it will be.

Thank you guys

I’ve never had a hunting handgun before
Just to add a little confusion I've had a 1-4 Burris on my Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag for many years and never found it wanting.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’ve never used a Weigand mount but I’ve never had any issue with Ruger rings on a rifle or revolver. I’d not worry about the Ruger setup but if you want a Weigand it seems like a great mounting system.

I have several 2X Leupolds on handguns. On .22 Rimfire OK.

On .44 Mag could be underpowered .

My Camo Anaconda came with 2X 7 Redfield ...about right .

One can always dial back to 2X......but you cannot dial a 2X up.

On my Exemplar Hornet I use an old Leiplod Gilmore , I like it fine .

On contenders I use variables . .35 Rem. 223 - Hornet , etc.
I actually like 4x on a .22 pistol on the range. 2x works offhand but if elbows on a bench Id like more mag for shooting 50 to 100 yards.

Just got a stainless original Contender today w 2.5-8x Leupold EER. Has ring marks and is going to the classifieds.

When i set up a deer bbl.it will wear an Aimpoint PRO.
My varmint bbl a 3-12x AO and my rimfire bbl a 4x.

The varmint model will be shot off bags so can go over 4x.

Offhand for me, 4x is max, even w rimfire.

I'm becoming a fan of these for pistols

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022350364
I ended up buying a 2 power Burris. Expected delivery is the 9th

Thank you guys for steering me in the right direction. I would of surly bought the higher power, wrong one.

I will mount it on the Weigand mount

Now debating to drop it off at Mag-Na-Port for porting and clean up the trigger a little. It's not far from where I live. different thread

Please give us an update when you get a chance to. I have been thinking about the same set up .

Thanks, Joe
I’d put a burris 2-7 on any scoped handgun no matter what caliber. The bushnell 2-6 is not bad for a budget priced scope
My big-bore handguns used to wear 2x Leupolds and Burris LER scopes. Nowadays, they all wear Ultra-Dot Gen 2 red dot sights. Durable as heck, and plenty adequate out to 100 yards for most game.
Here's my Ruger SRH .480 Ruger with a mounted Ultra-Dot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire