Home
Posted By: Smilner01 Ruger rings (M77) - 05/29/21
I recently purchased my 1st Ruger M77 Hawkeye that has the Ruger specific rings. My rings have ‘shoulders’ where the upper and lower halves meet, seems like the lower halves stand proud of the upper halves. Are there other (better) rings for a Ruger or just gonna have to lap these and go that route?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/29/21
I don't know about shoulders on 'em or what standing proud means, but if you don't like them, you can always go with Warne vertical splits......
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/29/21
Lap them.
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't know about shoulders on 'em or what standing proud means, but if you don't like them, you can always go with Warne vertical splits......

They mic at 1" at the base of the top half right above the shoulder or step to the bottom half. I thought I might have gotten 30mm tops and 1" bottoms, but that is not the case.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Don't lap them. If you call Ruger, they will likely replace them free. Was the gun new?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Don't lap them. If you call Ruger, they will likely replace them free. Was the gun new?

No, it was an older model produced in 2009. The 16.5” barreled compact stainless 300RCM.
If you google Ruger rings though, they all look this way. They are split lower in the circle than say Leupold rings. Almost like the top is 60% of the ring and the bottom is 40% vs. Leupold’s 50/50.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Ruger and their scope rings....LOL. I own 1 Ruger centerfire rifle. I put Leupold rings on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RGK Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Leupold or Warne...mucho better.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
I have Ruger rings on several rifles, and none look like what is pictured.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
As noted, Leupold. Their lows are lower than anybodies.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
First measure top to bottom of the hole with the screws snugged down. If under I" they are likely correct with nothing to be concerned over. Do they tighten up on the scope??

Leupold has started relieving the tops of their PRW rings, now called PRW II's. This stops the bottom edge of the bore in the top half from scarring the scope when installing or tightening.
Originally Posted by gunzo
First measure top to bottom of the hole with the screws snugged down. If under I" they are likely correct with nothing to be concerned over. Do they tighten up on the scope??

Leupold has started relieving the tops of their PRW rings, now called PRW II's. This stops the bottom edge of the bore in the top half from scarring the scope when installing or tightening.

Top to bottom is .960”, I did not tighten them down on the scope because they look like they will gouge it. Think I am going to dig out an old package take off scope to Test on.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Line the bases and caps w/ 3M vinyl electrical tape, 120° centered B/TDC.

Grease/torque/set/torque cap screws.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/30/21
Not sure there are worse rings on the market than the factory Rugers. They aren't even round. Lapping them is an eye opener on how bad they are. Get some Warnes, etc.
Originally Posted by RGK
Leupold or Warne...mucho better.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a good looking rifle, but I think the bolt handle is on the wrong side ;-)
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 05/31/21
I was over/under thinking it...when the ring is gapped to 1" like it would be mounted to a scope, the "shoulder" or "step" is not noticeable.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
You didn't over think it. According to this thread, you're supposed to buy at least 2 other brands, lap them, not lap them, & call Ruger.

Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, use the ones ya got. whistle
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
You didn't over think it. According to this thread, you're supposed to buy at least 2 other brands, lap them, not lap them, & call Ruger.

laugh
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
Originally Posted by Smilner01
I was over/under thinking it...when the ring is gapped to 1" like it would be mounted to a scope, the "shoulder" or "step" is not noticeable.

[Linked Image]

Maybe that's why I never noticed it. I'll be damned.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21

Bingo^^^
Posted By: rj308 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
You made some happy temporarily that were just waiting for the opportunity to take a jab at Ruger. RJ
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
Originally Posted by rj308
You made some happy temporarily that were just waiting for the opportunity to take a jab at Ruger. RJ

Meh, Ruger creates abundant opportunities on their own.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21

Like a 16 inch barrel with 60-65 grains of medium-slow gun powder. Holy sht, what the fk were they thinking?!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
Surprised no one has recommended the Accurate Arms detachable rings Morris Melani makes in Big Lake Alaska.

They are also another solid option
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/01/21
They're not made to tighten completely against each other as you have found out it looks like. You may still want to lap them though.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/02/21
Originally Posted by 458Win
Surprised no one has recommended the Accurate Arms detachable rings Morris Melani makes in Big Lake Alaska.

they are working great on my 375 ruger and he made even for the left handed actions.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/02/21
Originally Posted by 458Win

These are without a doubt the FINEST rings available for M77's or No.1 Rugers, IHMO!!!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/02/21
As Paul said, call Ruger, they should replace them. I had some odd ball Rings on one, they replaced them with no question.

I've also ordered 5 or 6 new sets of rings from Optics planet ( with no issues) in 30 mm, for a cost that was lower than Ruger's Dealer Price.
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: Ruger rings (M77) - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Like a 16 inch barrel with 60-65 grains of medium-slow gun powder. Holy sht, what the fk were they thinking?!

Lol, I think that may be just the rifle I purchased, 16.5” 300RCM
© 24hourcampfire